GPU or CPU Upgrade

thedogs

Howdy everyone, I am lost in between choosing to upgrade between a CPU and a new GPU. Right now my computer specs are a i5-4690k(overclock at 4.0 GHz). 24 GB of ram(top speed of DDR3), and a GTX 970. And a LG 1440p 32" monitor.
I am looking at upgrading to a RTX 3080 upon its release next week as currently this year I have 800 or so to spend on a system upgrade. I will be upgrading the next component next January, 2021. And will have between 800-1000 to spend on either a graphic card or a motherboard/CPU/Ram. I know there will probably be a GPU shortage but I have no idea what the availability will be here come January. And I believe the CPU's will be fine come January. I just don't know if I will be able to play games such as Assassin Creed/Cyberpunk 2077/ and some other games on Ultra 1440p @ 60 FPS. I know that after I upgrade by CPU and such I can aim for a higher FPS. How bad do you guys think the bottleneck would be for something like this. I have not dealt with only upgrading 1 component at a time.

So I am wondering what you guys think I should do? Should I buy the RTX 3080 and later upgrade to a new CPU come January or should I buy a new CPU looking at a i7-10600k or i7-10700k. Also, before I forget, if a new stimulus check comes out as I live in the US it would also be used for a computer upgrade.

if you really wanna stick to an old platform a haswell i7 would be passable, though cyberpunk and AC are likely to be heavily demanding games for both the cpu and gpu. i would get a 3070 for 1440p 60fps and sell the current parts for a 3600+b450

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

28 minutes ago, thedogs said:

Howdy everyone, I am lost in between choosing to upgrade between a CPU and a new GPU. Right now my computer specs are a i5-4690k(overclock at 4.0 GHz). 24 GB of ram(top speed of DDR3), and a GTX 970. And a LG 1440p 32" monitor.
I am looking at upgrading to a RTX 3080 upon its release next week as currently this year I have 800 or so to spend on a system upgrade. I will be upgrading the next component next January, 2021. And will have between 800-1000 to spend on either a graphic card or a motherboard/CPU/Ram. I know there will probably be a GPU shortage but I have no idea what the availability will be here come January. And I believe the CPU's will be fine come January. I just don't know if I will be able to play games such as Assassin Creed/Cyberpunk 2077/ and some other games on Ultra 1440p @ 60 FPS. I know that after I upgrade by CPU and such I can aim for a higher FPS. How bad do you guys think the bottleneck would be for something like this. I have not dealt with only upgrading 1 component at a time.

So I am wondering what you guys think I should do? Should I buy the RTX 3080 and later upgrade to a new CPU come January or should I buy a new CPU looking at a i7-10600k or i7-10700k. Also, before I forget, if a new stimulus check comes out as I live in the US it would also be used for a computer upgrade.

Are you planning on sticking with 1080p and keeping your monitor?

Just now, Zedbird said:

Are you planning on sticking with 1080p and keeping your monitor?

I plan on doing 1440p/2k gaming which I try to do with my GTX 970. I thankfully bought a 1440p monitor last year :D

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You'll need both so as @VeganJoy said a 3070 + cpu mobo and ram upgrade. Do wait for ryzen 4000 on the cpu upgrade front tho.

Thats coming out around october/November correct? I do plan on on upgrading to a new CPU/motherboard/RAM this January unless I should just get a new CPU then and wait on the GPU. 

2 minutes ago, thedogs said:

Thats coming out around october/November correct? I do plan on on upgrading to a new CPU/motherboard/RAM this January unless I should just get a new CPU then and wait on the GPU. 

If you get a 3070 you'll get to turn up the graphics but newer games will still not perform well and still stutter. If you do the cpu and other parts first your pc will perform the same in older games but be more stable in newer games.