Tiny Micro ATX Build

Grabow

This is my first build in like 5 years and wanted to do something different from what I normally do. I wanted to do a SFF build 10L or smaller but just couldn't decide on a case or justify spending $200+ on some of the better cases.

I chose parts that would give me a great 1080p experince now and have the ability to upgrade the CPU and/or GPU in the future if games demanded it or if I wanted to upgrade to a 1440p or 4K monitor.

Probably spent more than I should have on the motherboard for this level of build, but it had all the ports and features I was looking for and provides great upgrade options if I need/choose to do so.

The Silverstone PS15 might be one of the smallest microatx cases out there and things are tight in this case. I have a few complaints like the pcie mounting bracket is just a pain in the ass and the holes arent lined up 100% so it makes it difficult to screw down. The front panel I/O cables seem to be of lesser quality and fragile so I had to take care handling them. The bottom of the front panel has a silverstone logo that has a blue led and has a molex connector for it. Didn't want to run a molex cable just for that so I decided to tape it down against the bottom of the front panel. Overall though for size and price, this is a pretty decent case that I would recommend.

PXL_20200911_021542599.jpg

PXL_20200911_021402596.jpg

PXL_20200911_002906348.jpg

seems like a nice bang for the buck build! how are temps with just the exhaust fan?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

9 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

seems like a nice bang for the buck build! how are temps with just the exhaust fan?

Haven't put it through it's paces yet but with just the hour or so of gaming looks like the cpu managed it's boost clock and hit the mid 70s and the 5600xt stayed in the 60s. Gonna try and stress test it to see if it throttles or overheats. But it is whisper quiet which is a bonus.

a pack of arctic p12s and an arctic freezer 33 or gammaxx would bring temps down across the board and be even quieter if you so desire, those little amd stock coolers arent terrible but the little fan has to run kinda fast. if it works though then it works :D 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

@VeganJoy I wanted to get coolers and fans when I bought everything but that would have added $75-$125 depending on cooler and fans and I really wanted to spend everything on components.

Looks really great!!

In a year, I am trying to build my daughter a SFF setup to go into her room.

So many cases to choose from!! But I like how everything is layed out in that Silverstone.

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

@Jason 57 I really like this case for the size and price. Has some short comings but I think if you realize that going into it then its not that bad.

@VeganJoy Just played BFV for about an hour and a half at 1080p ultra settings and logged the cpu temp and clocks as well as the gpu temp and clocks. No throttling was logged on either.

3600TEMPANDCLOCK.jpg

5600XTTEMPANDCLOCK.jpg

@Grabow, Glad to see you were able to capture some data.

I plan to HOPEFULLY do that once I get my desk replaced (building my own from scratch), get my tower of the ground, and actually get time to play.

I have figured out that my build can support me capturing VHS tape data and play games at the same time! WOO HOO

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

13 hours ago, Grabow said:

@VeganJoy Just played BFV for about an hour and a half at 1080p ultra settings and logged the cpu temp and clocks as well as the gpu temp and clocks. No throttling was logged on either.

snip

mfw your temps with the stock cooler are the same as mine with a d15s :/ 

lol looking good though! what software did you use to log the data?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

@VeganJoy HWInfo has a built in logging too that I then imported into sheets to create the charts.

Nice compact build! Looking great :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 2 weeks later...

@Analog Case is a lot smaller than it looked in reviews and product pictures. Love the compact size, gonna be easy to take with my on trips and stuff!