Netlimiter as a security against malware?

koji

Is it a good idea to purchase Netlimiter as a security against malware?

My free trial is almost finished and I am using it as a prompt to either allow or deny any app that tries to access the internet. So I was thinking that if my PC is to be infected by a malware, before it can send out any data or request into its server, it'll be detected by Netlimiter and will prompt me to either allow or deny the connection.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

No, a dedicated security software is what you need (though Windows defender does a pretty good job). 

It won't protect against any malware that uses another program to access the internet, or against malware that doesn't need to contact the internet in the first place.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, a dedicated security software is what you need (though Windows defender does a pretty good job). 

It won't protect against any malware that uses another program to access the internet, or against malware that doesn't need to contact the internet in the first place.

I am aware that it wont protect me against malware that doesn't use internet, that's fine.

But for the one you mentioned that the malware using another program to use the internet, that program will have to be prompted too before it can access the internet right?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

2 minutes ago, koji said:

I am aware that it wont protect me against malware that doesn't use internet, that's fine.

But for the one you mentioned that the malware using another program to use the internet, that program will have to be prompted too before it can access the internet right?

I haven't used that program, but normally if it already can make a connection, that program won't care if it does it again. Things like browers make so many different connections, it won't tell you about all of them.

I personally wouldn't bother, Just use the defender built into windows for most consumer users.

3 minutes ago, koji said:

Yes. Though really you can do the same with the windows firewall. 

I wouldn't advise it for any protection against malware, it's simply not adequate or designed for it. I guess it could be useful if you know you have an infected program, but again, you can do the same by blocking the application with a normal firewall that you don't need to pay for.

EDIT: Depending on how it works, it may also only block unsolicited internet access. It could allow a response to an inbound packet without prompting. I'm not familiar with the program though, so can't say for sure

Different answer here.

Yes, it's good type of protection. AV detects known viruses or use heuristics, NetLimiter doesn't care what type of program wants to connect to internet, so you can detect even malware that av can't recognize.

Also - Widows firewall only blocks incoming connections and allow all outgoing ones so advice that is the same good is wrong.

You can use free Comodo Firewall - it also can detect all programs that wants to connect to internet and warn you (both - incoming and outgoing connections). It has some extra protection also (you can choose if you even want to program to start before it starts establishing connection). It has no limiter function though.