Ghosting on oled

MrAxe

Got ghosting on my oled panel where my clock and icon bar is... Only noticeable on pure charcoal images and some bright whites... 

Any fix? I could send my phone in but that's kinda a last resort. I don't know why I would have ghosting because I'm careful for this stuff! 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

I'm pretty sure that what you are describing is burn-in. Burn in is something that happens in OLEDs quite often when specific areas are constantly darker/brighter than their nearby areas and unfortunately isn't something that can be fixed without replacing the panel. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Sounds like burn-in,that's the Achilles hill of OLED displays.

You will have to replace the panel,that's the only solution.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

I don't know why I would have ghosting because I'm careful for this stuff! 

It's not about damage, that's just the way OLED screen aged.

If you're not using the phone turn the screen off immediately. That's the only protection it needs.

OLED really not suitable for long duration like gaming or continuous movie.

It can be fixed (temporarily), but long term fix would be swapping the whole screen array (including touchscreen).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It's not about damage, that's just the way OLED screen aged.

If you're not using the phone turn the screen off immediately. That's the only protection it needs.

OLED really not suitable for long duration like gaming or continuous movie.

It can be fixed (temporarily), but long term fix would be swapping the whole screen array (including touchscreen).

Its only one month old... I use it binge watching sometimes but never continuous screen age and my amoled on my 6t hasn't been damage from that... 

I try and keep it on full brightness for less than an hour and never leave static images on. 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

29 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm pretty sure that what you are describing is burn-in. Burn in is something that happens in OLEDs quite often when specific areas are constantly darker/brighter than their nearby areas and unfortunately isn't something that can be fixed without replacing the panel. 

Will it happen again if I do and is it worth replacing? 

I turned off my screen to try and give it a break because oleds sometimes recovered when turned off and using my 6t atm to give that display a break. 

I have 1Y oppo warranty but if its destined to happen again then its not worth it! I'm very careful with burn in and rarely give it a chance to burn in or ghost.... 

30 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Its only one month old...

Wait, what? This is definitely not normal, the panel must have been defective, usually it takes way longer than that for burn-in to appear.

24 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Will it happen again if I do and is it worth replacing? 

I turned off my screen to try and give it a break because oleds sometimes recovered when turned off and using my 6t atm to give that display a break. 

I have 1Y oppo warranty but if its destined to happen again then its not worth it! I'm very careful with burn in and rarely give it a chance to burn in or ghost.... 

With enough time, yes, it will happen again, but if you are covered by the warranty and don't mind waiting a bit, I'd say it's worth RMAing. The only thing you can do to reduce the risk of burn-in is not use max brightness all the time. AFAIK  the reason why OLEDs burn in is physical wear on the LEDs, which is why it's not reversible. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

26 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wait, what? This is definitely not normal, the panel must have been defective, usually it takes way longer than that for burn-in to appear.

With enough time, yes, it will happen again, but if you are covered by the warranty and don't mind waiting a bit, I'd say it's worth RMAing. The only thing you can do to reduce the risk of burn-in is not use max brightness all the time. AFAIK  the reason why OLEDs burn in is physical wear on the LEDs, which is why it's not reversible. 

Wait, wait wait wait..... I don't think it is burn in... Its mainly obvious when I pull down the notification bar and sit exactly where my normal icons are! Is it just faintly displaying the icons as part of screen? Also when I turn brightness to 0 then it shows a small bar of a slight colour difference...

The time seems to be changing and does burn in change the time by the minute? I only see it on one variation of grey on max brightness. 

5 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Wait, wait wait wait..... I don't think it is burn in... Its mainly obvious when I pull down the notification bar and sit exactly where my normal icons are! Is it just faintly displaying the icons as part of screen? Also when I turn brightness to 0 then it shows a small bar of a slight colour difference...

The time seems to be changing and does burn in change the time by the minute? I only see it on one variation of grey on max brightness. 

That does kind of sound like burn-in or some kind of temporary image retention which definitely isn't normal for OLEDs. If you use any of those dead pixel tests that show only a specific color on screen can you see the outline of those icons after like 1-2 minutes of having the same color on screen? If you can, it's probably burn in. If they slowly fade away, it's probably some kind of temporary image retention, which also shouldn't be happening. I would RMA either way TBH.

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That does kind of sound like burn-in or some kind of temporary image retention which definitely isn't normal for OLEDs. If you use any of those dead pixel tests that show only a specific color on screen can you see the outline of those icons after like 1-2 minutes of having the same color on screen? If you can, it's probably burn in. If they slowly fade away, it's probably some kind of temporary image retention, which also shouldn't be happening. I would RMA either way TBH.

Ok, I'll give it a week and if it gets worse then I'll sent it to ee for repair! 

I got rid of the icons on their and most of them disappeared if I look at the right shade of grey! Should I give my phone 10hours off time to check if its working fine? Think it's retention because they aren't static and only appeared this morning and I had my phone on lowest brightness all night long! 

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Heard that a dead pixel test can fix retention? 

17 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

Heard that a dead pixel test can fix retention? 

On some LCDs, yes, since the crystals could get stuck in some position so showing different colors quickly can untwist the crystals so they can function like normal again. On OLEDs it's because of actual damage to the LEDs so it's usually unfixable. 

15 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

On some LCDs, yes, since the crystals could get stuck in some position so showing different colors quickly can untwist the crystals so they can function like normal again. On OLEDs it's because of actual damage to the LEDs so it's usually unfixable. 

I have been running this test for about 20 minutes and it seems to be almost gone... I'll run it for an hour and see if it helps if that won't damage my screen? Or I could try turning it off? Heard that sometimes retention is fixed by turning the screen off? 

3 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

I have been running this test for about 20 minutes and it seems to be almost gone... I'll run it for an hour and see if it helps if that won't damage my screen? Or I could try turning it off? Heard that sometimes retention is fixed by turning the screen off? 

Weird, this kind of temporary image retention definitely sounds odd, since AFAIK OLED image retention is usually permanent. I don't think running a dead pixel test can damage your screen, but I would RMA anyway. This should not be happening on a one month old device.

8 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Weird, this kind of temporary image retention definitely sounds odd, since AFAIK OLED image retention is usually permanent. I don't think running a dead pixel test can damage your screen, but I would RMA anyway. This should not be happening on a one month old device.

Turns out this plagues the 8pro and this is the same screen! Samsung has some of these issues too with their s20 ultras with oled displays... If you Google 8 pro retention! The punch hole has a grey bar and icon retention... 

Sent it back to EE and they are sending me a new phone within 24hours and is it likely to suffer the same issues? It was big enough for oneplus to make a statement about it at launch! 

https://www.gsmarena.com/users_report_multiple_display_issues_on_the_oneplus_8_pro-news-42856.php

Maybe I got a early batch model?  Do you think its likely I'll suffer with this again? 

10 hours ago, MrAxe said:

Its only one month old...

Use the warranty...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Use the warranty...

EE agreed to send me a brand new unit if I give them the old one... Probably wanna fix it and sell it as good as new. 

Just now, MrAxe said:

EE agreed to send me a brand new unit if I give them the old one... Probably wanna fix it and sell it as good as new. 

I would agree to that offer if the unit they send is really new.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

I would agree to that offer if the unit they send is really new.

It is... Completely sealed and they gave me a 60 day replacement warranty extension encase this one fails! So I think they are sure it won't. 

Next day delivery and everything! 

3 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

It is... Completely sealed and they gave me a 60 day replacement warranty extension encase this one fails! So I think they are sure it won't. 

Next day delivery and everything! 

Nice!,Glad to hear it :D

I hope it will go well.

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

Nice!,Glad to hear it :D

I hope it will go well.

What are you daily driving? 

13 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

What are you daily driving? 

Galaxy Note 8,It's a great phone :D

14 hours ago, Vishera said:

Galaxy Note 8,It's a great phone :D

Nice, was driving a 6t before and using it until I get my replacement.