Converting existing 7.1 to 5.1.2

Spoilt

Hi guys,

Just as a pure academic exercise. I wonder if it is possible to convert an existing 7.1 computer speakers and re-assign 2 of the channel to height channel. AFAIK windows can only do height speakers via receivers+atmos.

Wondering if anyone knows some hack to this.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

12 minutes ago, Spoilt said:

Hi guys,

Just as a pure academic exercise. I wonder if it is possible to convert an existing 7.1 computer speakers and re-assign 2 of the channel to height channel. AFAIK windows can only do height speakers via receivers+atmos.

is this what your looking for?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/height-channel-playback/9p9mxz3c1hlf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

other then that..all i see are people same as you. i dont think windows has the license (i could be wrong) much less the ability hardware wise to do it. receivers have chips in them to process the audio. i cant see mobo manufacturers doing that

5.1 and 7.1 is easy

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

is this what your looking for?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/height-channel-playback/9p9mxz3c1hlf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

other then that..all i see are people same as you. i dont think windows has the license (i could be wrong) much less the ability hardware wise to do it. receivers have chips in them to process the audio. i cant see mobo manufacturers doing that

5.1 and 7.1 is easy

I think that app just send the height sound clip to the receiver for testing. I also think it is licensing issue. Pretty sure most modern pc has enough horse power to run the computation at a software level.

Shame though, would be fun to plug in some random stereo speakers into an existing logitech 5.1 or something to get atmos 5.1.2. Heck, I don't even mind if they pass over the licensing fee to the user like how they did for atmos for headphones.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

8 hours ago, Spoilt said:

Hi guys,

I only know of one height-based renderer for speakers on the PC, the one I make. Atmos decoding is still not a possibility (it's illegal to reverse engineer it), but it has an upmixer that works system-wide in Equalizer APO. It's open source, and here it is on GitHub, the one release you're looking for is the Splitter VST, it's a 7.1 to 5.1.2 converter that you just have to import.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, VoidX said:

I only know of one height-based renderer for speakers on the PC, the one I make. Atmos decoding is still not a possibility (it's illegal to reverse engineer it), but it has an upmixer that works system-wide in Equalizer APO. It's open source, and here it is on GitHub, the one release you're looking for is the Splitter VST, it's a 7.1 to 5.1.2 converter that you just have to import.

I have this HDMI 7.1 Audio Decoder

Would it be able to configure a 5.1.2 setup with it+cavern?

if not, is there ANY other way to get it?

playback device : Windows 10 laptop

playback software : Kodi, Pot player

speakers : 7sttelite 1sub custom built

On 5/2/2023 at 3:56 PM, ManuOfficial said:

I have this HDMI 7.1 Audio Decoder

Would it be able to configure a 5.1.2 setup with it+cavern?

if not, is there ANY other way to get it?

playback device : Windows 10 laptop

playback software : Kodi, Pot player

speakers : 7sttelite 1sub custom built

Your GitHub issue has the answer.