MSI B450 Tomahawk Max blinks red once on power up t

(IN NEED OF TECH TIPS)

So i just finished my first pc build. But when i try to power it on, my B450 Tomahawk Max blinks red once and nothing powers on. I’ve double, triple, quadruple checked all connections but i still can’t seem to find the problem. 

10 minutes ago, FrankIsLow said:

(IN NEED OF TECH TIPS)

So i just finished my first pc build. But when i try to power it on, my B450 Tomahawk Max blinks red once and nothing powers on. I’ve double, triple, quadruple checked all connections but i still can’t seem to find the problem. 

Please list your complete system specs make and model. 

53 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Please list your complete system specs make and model. 

250A4B19-41EE-4B47-A55D-7FCC45A87A6C.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Ver7o said:

Have you updated the BIOS to support 3rd gen Ryzen?

Doesn't the Max model support 3rd Gen Ryzen out of the box?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

4 hours ago, Ver7o said:

Have you updated the BIOS to support 3rd gen Ryzen?

Can i access the BIOS if the system won’t boot up ? 

8 hours ago, FrankIsLow said:

(IN NEED OF TECH TIPS)

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Doesn't the Max model support 3rd Gen Ryzen out of the box?

they do ... i build a similar pc with ryzen 5 3600 and same board ... posted without bios update.

also i think on the top right side there should be some post LED like VGA , RAM , CPU. 

You could check them when you power up.

6 hours ago, Whusthat said:

they do ... i build a similar pc with ryzen 5 3600 and same board ... posted without bios update.

also i think on the top right side there should be some post LED like VGA , RAM , CPU. 

You could check them when you power up.

Wait do you use a 8 or 6 pin pci cable for a 2060?

25 minutes ago, FrankIsLow said:

Wait do you use a 8 or 6 pin pci cable for a 2060?

8 pin ... if i see correct on the picture you only got a 6 pin plugged in ? 

if so use a 8 pin or 6+2 pin :) 

hmmm fan even doesn't start spinning, looks like something triggered psu security very quickly.

did you try without the gpu at all ? at least, disconnect the maximum you can, and try only with cpu and ram.

9 minutes ago, whaka said:

hmmm fan even doesn't start spinning, looks like something triggered psu security very quickly.

did you try without the gpu at all ? at least, disconnect the maximum you can, and try only with cpu and ram.

Do you think that the PSU is weak or faulty?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

8 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Do you think that the PSU is weak or faulty?

750 watt is alot for this rig. Fans not spinning could also mean the PSU is not stressed enough. 

Like i said i would try to connect the gpu with a 8pin or 6+2 and see what happens.

You only have 6 pins connected to your video card.  I can see 2 open pin slots

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

2 hours ago, Whusthat said:

8 pin ... if i see correct on the picture you only got a 6 pin plugged in ? 

if so use a 8 pin or 6+2 pin :) 

Yep this has got to be the problem. Gonna try it out when i get back from work. Fingers crossed 

it may, or not. usually, there's no reasons for the machine to do that except when something is shorted between 12/5V or any rail to ground.

even if you didn't connect power supply on the gpu. you usually get a message that say the gpu need extra cable.

but maybe i'm wong and some motherboard/gpu doesn't warn you and refuse to sart, and... i really hope for you :D

Where are the missing stand-offs and screws?

Are the stand offs touching the back of the board being in the wrong placement, or just plain not there?

image.jpg.4bf3c609e333f68925645e0e2fed44ab.jpg

Okay plugged the two pin in and still the same one red blink. Nothing turns on. 

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Where are the missing stand-offs and screws?

Are the stand offs touching the back of the board being in the wrong placement, or just plain not there?

image.jpg.4bf3c609e333f68925645e0e2fed44ab.jpg

Shoottt yeah i guess i missed those two. Could that be the problem? 

Just now, FrankIsLow said:

Shoottt yeah i guess i missed those two. Could that be the problem? 

Would it be the same as i did in the corners? Just a normal philips screw ? 

4 minutes ago, FrankIsLow said:

Would it be the same as i did in the corners? Just a normal philips screw ? 

Well I was wondering where the stand-offs are at. I can't see the threads of the stand-off.

So my thought was, they are misplaced and touching something on the back of the board.

But yes, I would pull the board out, check the stand-off positions. They look missing...

The screws that came with the case will do fine.

Edited by ShrimpBrime
additional comment

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well I was wondering where the stand-offs are at. I can't see the threads of the stand-off.

So my thought was, they are misplaced and touching something on the back of the board.

But yes, I would pull the board out, check the stand-off positions. They look missing...

The screws that came with the case will do fine.

When you say standoffs do you mean the screws or the little metal peice holding my SSD into place ? (Sorry for my confusion) 

Just now, FrankIsLow said:

When you say standoffs do you mean the screws or the little metal peice holding my SSD into place ? (Sorry for my confusion) 

The stand-offs are the little brass pillars that protrude from the case that the motherboard is screwed to. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The stand-offs are the little brass pillars that protrude from the case that the motherboard is screwed to. 

Okay so the motherboard came with one silver one and it was screwed into the wrong spot out of the box. Did not come with any brass ones. 

2 minutes ago, FrankIsLow said:

Okay so the motherboard came with one silver one and it was screwed into the wrong spot out of the box. Did not come with any brass ones. 

Color aside, yes, that's what I'm talking about. But the case comes with stand-offs, not the board (except for the M2 drive)

If there was one misplaced under the board and touching any solder contacts, it can short the board. 

So I suggest you take apart the entire PC and check the stand-off positions to be sure they line up with the motherboard mounting holes.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Color aside, yes, that's what I'm talking about. But the case comes with stand-offs, not the board (except for the M2 drive)

If there was one misplaced under the board and touching any solder contacts, it can short the board. 

So I suggest you take apart the entire PC and check the stand-off positions to be sure they line up with the motherboard mounting holes.

So this might be the issue. I didn’t screw any of the standoffs on. I’ll take her back apart and prey this fixes her 😭 If the board did short because of that how badly will that damage the parts ?