Laptop Recommendations

Budget: under 800

Reasons: Work and Web Browsing

Size: At least 14" 

Touchscreen: Not needed

Portability: Not a concern

Operating System: Windows

My dad works from home now and needs a laptop. He is a loan officer, so he doesn't need a really powerful machine, he just wants a machine that will be last him for a few years and will be fast for applications in the mean time. Upgradability is preferred. 

I'd get a Lenovo Ideapad...the highest spec model for $800 will do anything under the sun a loan officer is required to do.  Be certain the model you choose has a 1920x1080 display...and at least 8gb of ram...16gb is better though.  If you bide your time and look for a sale...you might even find it with the AMD 4700u processor.  Personally I'm waiting for the Lenovo YOGA Slim 7 with 4800u...but it will be at least $900 when it arrives in the USA :(

Below link is the Lenovo Ideapad 5 with 4700u...currently listed at $899.99, but if you are patient you can get it for less...I've seen it on sale for $699.99 on Target's website at one time.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/IdeaPad-Slim-7-14ARE05/p/82A50000US

10 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I'd get a Lenovo Ideapad...the highest spec model for $800 will do anything under the sun a loan officer is required to do.  Be certain the model you choose has a 1920x1080 display...and at least 8gb of ram...16gb is better though.  If you bide your time and look for a sale...you might even find it with the AMD 4700u processor.  Personally I'm waiting for the Lenovo YOGA Slim 7 with 4800u...but it will be at least $900 when it arrives in the USA :(

Below link is the Lenovo Ideapad 5 with 4700u...currently listed at $899.99, but if you are patient you can get it for less...I've seen it on sale for $699.99 on Target's website at one time.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/IdeaPad-Slim-7-14ARE05/p/82A50000US

I think the soldered 8gb RAM kinda killed the device. We'll be waiting until November anyways for the deals to come around (if there are some), thanks for the suggestion. 

39 minutes ago, nathanyule said:

I think the soldered 8gb RAM kinda killed the device. We'll be waiting until November anyways for the deals to come around (if there are some), thanks for the suggestion. 

Don't be dismayed by soldered ram...just buy enough up front...ie 16gb and you are good to go.  That said I "think" there's an empty ram slot on all the ideapads...meaning you can add additional ram...

3 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Don't be dismayed by soldered ram...just buy enough up front...ie 16gb and you are good to go.  That said I "think" there's an empty ram slot on all the ideapads...meaning you can add additional ram...

Fair point, either way I'll be waiting buying in November. I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks for this. 

My 2nd recommendation is an Eloktronics THINN-15 with AMD 4800H....if you buy without OS (assuming you already own a copy of Microsoft 10)...you can get for $889.00 with 16gb of ram and 512gb NVMe....and a 94wh battery....it's a 15.6" 1920x1080 display...it's the bomb...link below.  If you have your own laptop ram and a spare NVMe laying around you can get it for $789.00. 

https://www.eluktronics.com/THINN-15