Half Life Alyx: Low CPU & GPU Usage

Hey

Hope i got the right section to post this in, if not please just move it where it should be. Anyways,

I was playing Half Life Alyx today and i noticed that the usage of my CPU and GPU was horrible. My GPU was sitting at about 70% the whole time while my CPU was chilling with only about 40-50% usage.

When i boot up the game it tells me that my GPU memory is low, but i have a 2080ti, there is not really anything more than that. Also when i look at msi afterburners graphs, it was using about 9gb, which is not maxed out.

Closed all programms i didnt use to free up more memory, still displaying that message when starting the game. 

Am i missing something?

image.thumb.png.65a7b85e827e52adaf8a90f77b908b57.png

image.thumb.png.8778189104151aa16a5f9638a4d06c0a.png

I had a crashes / memory warnings when I played it shortly after lauch. I have 16 GB of RAM and 11 GB VRAM on my 1080 Ti, so I was surprised as well. Not completely related to VRAM, but what fixed it for me was to crank up the virtual memory. I had to up it to 12 GB to stop it from crashing or  warning me.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Not completely related to VRAM, but what fixed it for me was to crank up the virtual memory. I had to up it to 12 GB to stop it from crashing or  warning me.

How do i do that? Shouldnt it automatically use as much as it needs/has?

Just now, MultiDJRoni said:

How do i do that? Shouldnt it automatically use as much as it needs/has?

Go to Settings > System > Info > System info > Advanced settings. Then on the Advanced tab click settings under Performance. go to the Advanced tab again and click the button under Virtual memory. Select the radio button for a custom size and experiment with values there. I set it both initial and maximum size to 12288 MB, but that's just what worked for me. Perhaps less works for you, perhaps more.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Go to Settings > System > Info > System info > Advanced settings. Then on the Advanced tab click settings under Performance. go to the Advanced tab again and click the button under Virtual memory. Select the radio button for a custom size and experiment with values there. I set it both initial and maximum size to 12288 MB, but that's just what worked for me. Perhaps less works for you, perhaps more.

Alright i will try that out, thanks!