Building an new (kinda overkill) PC

Zakara

Budget (including currency): $3500 but can be more...

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video Editing, Gaming at 2K (144hz) / Games Development/Rendering.

Whats up guys! Hope everyone is well,

So... I have been waiting for a long time to build a MONSTER rig for my work/gaming needs. I am approaching this with the mindset of future proofing for many years to come, and the only things that would be added were things like additional disk space and different peripherals etc. ~ Until a new build was needed WAAAY down the line.

I am very tempted to go for a somewhat overkill custom water loop build just because I have waited for so long. Some components listed will be overkill, and others just considered high end in today's market.. so with that in mind... here is what I have come up with:

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am not creating an entire build from scratch, some components I will be keeping in this new build. Anything with a strikethrough is already acquired.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: EK-VELOCITY RGB AMD CPU WATER BLOCK - NICKEL + PLEXI
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive -- (I have another SSD & 2x HDD's already in use)
Video Card: 
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card OR 3000 series Nvidia Graphics Card following the announcement on Sept 1st 2020. I would likely wait for an aftermarket card.
Case: Thermaltake View 32 TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fans: Noctua or some kind of LED Corsair silent fans (any recommendations are welcome)
PSU: Corsair CX 850M Fully Modular Power Supply

Reservoir/Pump: EK-XRES 250 SPC PWM CLASSIC RGB PUMP / RESERVOIR COMBO – PLEXI

^ HELP! - This will be my first custom water loop build and I am unsure of what fittings/best tubing are most recommended. I would SERIOUSLY appreciate any guidance with this specific area of the build. The Reservior/Pump combo from EK seems to be well received online, but any other opinions on ANYTHING in this build with regards to better alternatives would be awesome!

Overall, I just want the build to look badass. I have lighting stuff such as LED strips already acquired, so that's taken care of.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

~ Zakara

1 minute ago, gloop said:

You are spending $3500 on a build and can only afford a $70 PSU?

I mean... I can buy a better one. Any personal recommendations and what wattage is good for the build?

1 minute ago, Zakara said:

I mean... I can buy a better one. Any personal recommendations and what wattage is good for the build?

A Corsair RM750x or a Straight Power equivalent. As you said, it would be best to wait for nVidia to officially confirm power consumption and then purchase.

AXi, HXi, RMi series from Corsair if you wan't to stick with them, and splurge on some pretty CableMod cables.

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Self Loathing (Portable Gear)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

So Head? (Headphone Collection)

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Nuf Repus (Arcade PC) (upcoming)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Sound Euphonium (Music Setup) (upcoming)

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

Just now, gloop said:

A Corsair RM750x or a Straight Power equivalent. As you said, it would be best to wait for nVidia to officially confirm power consumption and then purchase.

Alrighty, appreciate it dude! Thanks!

Just now, Alex Ushigome said:

AXi, HXi, RMi series from Corsair if you wan't to stick with them, and splurge on some pretty CableMod cables.

YEEES Cablemod cables for sure! Thank you for reminding me and the Corsair info!

17 minutes ago, Zakara said:

So... I have been waiting for a long time to build a MONSTER rig for my work/gaming needs. I am approaching this with the mindset of future proofing for many years to come, and the only things that would be added were things like additional disk space and different peripherals etc. ~ Until a new build was needed WAAAY down the line.

Looks fine to me. I would wait for the rtx 3000 series though. I find I always hang on to CPU's, RAM and Mobo's the longest with the graphics card as the only periodic upgrade as that's where your biggest performance jump will come from in games. The rig thats in my sig has stayed the same since I built it back in early 2015 so I definitely got my moneys worth out of the platform.

With that said I would actually probably drop down one tier on the GPU and set aside that money for a new GPU in the future as chances are the extra money that you spend on the absolute top tier car could actually be a good chunk of the next GPU upgrade. Ill use the price delta in my region ( your mileage may vary) the cheapest 2080 super is 719.99 CAD where as the lowest price 2080ti 1399.99 CAD. So essentially you could buy another brand new GPU for extra that you spent on the top tier. So if you really want to future proof the system go to a RTX 3080 equivalent and then purchase a RTX 4080 equivalent when that comes out. 

We don't know official pricing for the 3000 series yet but it should follow a similar (ish) pricing scheme so this should still hold true.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

12 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Looks fine to me. I would wait for the rtx 3000 series though. I find I always hang on to CPU's, RAM and Mobo's the longest with the graphics card as the only periodic upgrade as that's where your biggest performance jump will come from in games. The rig thats in my sig has stayed the same since I built it back in early 2015 so I definitely got my moneys worth out of the platform.

With that said I would actually probably drop down one tier on the GPU and set aside that money for a new GPU in the future as chances are the extra money that you spend on the absolute top tier car could actually be a good chunk of the next GPU upgrade. Ill use the price delta in my region ( your mileage may vary) the cheapest 2080 super is 719.99 CAD where as the lowest price 2080ti 1399.99 CAD. So essentially you could buy another brand new GPU for extra that you spent on the top tier. So if you really want to future proof the system go to a RTX 3080 equivalent and then purchase a RTX 4080 equivalent when that comes out. 

We don't know official pricing for the 3000 series yet but it should follow a similar (ish) pricing scheme so this should still hold true.

Thanks for this dude! Very, very helpful!

26 minutes ago, Zakara said:

Thanks for this dude! Very, very helpful!

Any time there bud!

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz