AMD dual graphics

So question is pairing say a 7850k and a 7970 better than pairing a 7970 and a FX 8350 or something? Linus kinda left these question unanswered in his latest video as he only tested CPUs with integrated graphics on them.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Most modern games don't really use the CPU. You'll get a bottleneck but how much is the question. That is something I don't think reviewers have looked into.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

So question is pairing say a 7850k and a 7970 better than pairing a 7970 and a FX 8350 or something? Linus kinda left these question unanswered in his latest video as he only tested CPUs with integrated graphics on them.

Not going to work. As the guy above said you can only pair that with a r7 250 at max. It'd be better to get a 8350 along side with a 7970.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Not going to work. As the guy above said you can only pair that with a r7 250 at max. It'd be better to get a 8350 along side with a 7970.

Ahhhh so you can only pair with certain GPUs i didnt get that from the video, whats the most powerful card you can pair with atm?

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

The r7 250, thus it is not worth noting outside of very certain circumstances. In general unless you have an absolutely non negotiable budget getting a solid cpu + best discrete card you can get while keeping the cpu / gpu balanced is the way to go. If you ever have questions on a new build the planning sub forum is great.

Ahhhh so you can only pair with certain GPUs i didnt get that from the video, whats the most powerful card you can pair with atm?

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

Only low end stuff. If you have the budget get a dedicated GPU with a CPU you can afford.

If you don't have the budget, then wait. If you are impatient get an APU, upgrade later.

HSA, if and when it's supported, would let you at least get some benefit from the GPU in an APU with a higher end card though, so I wonder what that will look like. If HSA is popular enough, theoretically they could resolve a lot of the CPU bottlenecking that would occur by using the integrated GPU for physics and such. However, I don't know if that will really be that much better than just having twice the cores. If we start getting 6 or 8 core APU's though, and HSA or OpenCL or something takes off, that could be an interesting set of benchmarks.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Most modern games don't really use the CPU. You'll get a bottleneck but how much is the question. That is something I don't think reviewers have looked into.

yes they do. bf4, crysis 3 and many more they even used most of the cores on cpu's now.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

yes they do. bf4, crysis 3 and many more they even used most of the cores on cpu's now.

More cores doesn't mean it is a more CPU intensive game.

Skyrim benefits highly from a more powerful CPU and is very single threaded.

More threads just means it will take advantage of more cores but doesn't imply any more workload than it would be if it was one thread. It's just being handled more efficiently.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Go Kaveri and overclock it. FM2+ is a much nicer platform too.

I doubt it'll bottleneck that much if at all. Less of a bottleneck in lower threaded games than FX :D