Sony CD Player Jog dial issue or misunderstanding?

I've got a Sony CDP-CX355 that I've done some work on but I've got one issue that I'm unaware how to troubleshoot (without going through a lot of hassle) and I've got it down really to two issues. I've either got some setting in software that's stopping me from being able to function or I've got a potentiometer that is partially down (or the connection is partially down on it). The potentiometer here is the one running the JOG wheel (so labeled by the manual). It depresses just fine and the signal from that depression is coming through dandy and that's fantastic but actual changes in turning doesn't result in changes in settings on screen (this is unusual for this unit. If you look in the instruction manual, basically any time the JOG dial is mentioned, any action that has to do with pressing it works just fine but anything that requires turning it doesn't). SO, is this some weird menu setting? Possibly a JOG dial lock kinda deal (like a caps lock), or is this the result of a bad circuit. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: the physical dial I'm talking about may very well be a incremental encoder and not a potentiometer. I don't know yet but I thought I might as well include the info.

Also, here's the current page for any Sony documentation on this machine that I've gotten from the official site: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/audio-components-cd-players/cdp-cx355/manuals . Just in case that makes anyone's day easier here.

So, I've been doing some troubleshooting. Anyone have a Sony JOG PWB (jog power board) for a sony cdp-cx355? Hoping that is a cheap solution to my problem.

Nobody was capable of helping me here in the end (that's fine, I figured it out anyway and I'm not owed anything), but the issue in the end was that there were cracks in the board where the dial was that cut off signals that allowed rotational data to get through but not ones dealing with button presses or any other functions of the board. Jumper wires fix this.

• 2 years later...
On 8/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, Sirgeorge said:

Nobody was capable of helping me here in the end (that's fine, I figured it out anyway and I'm not owed anything), but the issue in the end was that there were cracks in the board where the dial was that cut off signals that allowed rotational data to get through but not ones dealing with button presses or any other functions of the board. Jumper wires fix this.

How did you fix it with jumper wires? I am having the same issue. The jog was working, but I had to do a repair underneath the carousel and when I put it all back together, the jog button doesn't work to add discs. I can however push it and it goes from disc to disc to play each one of them. But does not work disc to disc. Thanks for any insight. 

It's been a hot minute but If I remember correctly I had to scratch at certain spots to get to underlying errors to fix this error. I'm afraid I don't exactly remember. It's one of those "I see broken I fix broken" kinda things. I recommend looking at a diagram for it and drawing the crach you see on your example on the diagram. Then, see what wires would have to cross to what and go down the list when doing the jumper wire fix.