Powerful but silence first, for i5-9600KF & poor airflow

NewbieOne

a lower end cooler is not going to gimp performance just noise level as the fans will spin faster compensate. 

measuring dba is all screwed up as everyone dba floor is different. wish people would measure dba as delta. distance away will have a factor on what you can hear. dba also doesn't account for pitch.

honestly just pick one you'll be happy

Don’t confuse True Spirit 140 Power with the Direct version, they are completely different coolers. The direct has 5X 6mm pipes that have been flattened, Power has 6x 8mm pipes and a nicer coldplate. It’s a beast of a cooler for 50 USD. LGMRT is also a beast with 7x 6mm pipes. Archon is a pretty rare cooler these days, I wouldn’t mind scooping one up. For a cpu with a bit of a lighter load frost spirit 140 looks good with its 4x 8mm pipes. Should be a good cooler.

Im a bit of a Thermalright fan if you couldn’t tell. That’s not to say I wouldn’t buy others, but I’ve been using them on and off since 2004 or so, and they have been very effective for me.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Also a fan of Thermalright back from the old day of s478 when 400 grams of copper was a lot. ;) Probably explains my brand attachment.

So True Spirit Power should be even better? Splendid.

What I can't understand is why Archon costs 50% extra compared to TSP while having its TDP rated lower, at 320 vs 360, despite having two fans rather than one.

Any reason to buy Archon over LGMRT or TSP? Or D15, as it costs the same?

TS140P is pretty tall, but outside of that you should be good with any of them.

Found this — seems Archon has the lowest minimum sound level out of all coolers. The max sound, however, can be loud if you do get to it.

33 minutes ago, freeagent said:

TS140P is pretty tall, but outside of that you should be good with any of them.

Sub-17 would be ideal (not touching the thick dampening mat), but even 18 cm will work.

12 hours ago, freeagent said:

Don’t confuse True Spirit 140 Power with the Direct version, they are completely different coolers. The direct has 5X 6mm pipes that have been flattened, Power has 6x 8mm pipes and a nicer coldplate. It’s a beast of a cooler for 50 USD. LGMRT is also a beast with 7x 6mm pipes. Archon is a pretty rare cooler these days, I wouldn’t mind scooping one up. For a cpu with a bit of a lighter load frost spirit 140 looks good with its 4x 8mm pipes. Should be a good cooler.

Im a bit of a Thermalright fan if you couldn’t tell. That’s not to say I wouldn’t buy others, but I’ve been using them on and off since 2004 or so, and they have been very effective for me.

One of my finalists was the True Spirit, but I didn't realize there were two versions. Do you know if either of them would work with an Intel i7-10700?  Are you saying in that post the Power is better? Isn't the Direct more recent?

I'm basically looking for something that strikes a middle ground between great airflow for a mild overclock and quiet - my pick so far being the d15 until I heard about this low key but great cooler that doesn't get the hype it deserves. Tired of reviewing air coolers.

Noctua is ok too. I’ve had a D14 which is like a D15. All the hype to me is sickening lol. There are others that are just as good if not a hair better. But to each their own right? 

Kinda like how some guys don’t like ASUS, though almost everyone knows they make good boards. 

Yeah, seems there are multiple versions of True 140 (at least Direct and Power and probably some sort of 'base') and even more of 120 (for which I don't even know if my Ultra 120 qualifies or not, but some ultras are 'True', and 'True' is by definition 'Ultra type'). And then there's Archon, which is somewhat different. Not sure if just more pipes or also something else. I've looked at Archon's tests, and they seem underwhelming to me given the build and structure and the price tag, as compared to True Power. What might be the best thing about Archon is it's super low minimum noise level, which is like best of all non-passive coolers ever.

What's interesting is that in some tests as far as single towers go Noctua U14S seems to be almost just as cool as True/Archon/whatever but also noticeably quieter.

Well, some tests show just about any claim one could think about.

Right now, I'm kind of leaning D15 again, with the idea of modifying its curve away from unnecessarily low temperatures, or the Arctic 360/280 AIO with the same idea in mind. I'm pretty sure D15 should be okay with minimum flow, less sure what minimum rpms Arctic P12s/P14s will need for the rad + mesh + dust filter — any hypotheses about this, anyone?

Edit: German Amazon accepts Dark Rock Pro 4 orders for €60, due 3 September (some sort of back order). Maybe this would be a good way to go? Owners generally tend to view it as completely silent or as close as its gets, though it's nowhere near D15 potential and D15 might still be able to be configured to beat all that silence with a custom curve.

Edit: Wow, I've just checked with Thermalright's website, expecting only minor differences between True Spirit Direct and True Spirit Power. TSP has more mass, more fins and more pipes — and 80% more TDP. As in we did know Power was rated 360, just didn't know Direct was 'only' 200.

TRUE= Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Not the ultra 120, but the extreme.

Heres a good one from a reputable forum member to show how decent TS140P is for the money:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/thermalrights-true-spirit-140-power-new-air-cooling-king-mini-review.269339/

Le Grand Macho RT performs a little better than Archon. I don’t think you can even get that cooler anymore.

30 minutes ago, freeagent said:

TRUE= Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Not the ultra 120, but the extreme.

Heres a good one from a reputable forum member to show how decent TS140P is for the money:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/thermalrights-true-spirit-140-power-new-air-cooling-king-mini-review.269339/

Le Grand Macho RT performs a little better than Archon. I don’t think you can even get that cooler anymore.

German Amazon and Polish Morele.net have both the Archon and the True Spirit Power, and also LGMRT. At Morele, if you start from TSP's price, LGMRT costs like 30%, and Archon costs like 55% more. TSP has very few buyers for some reason. Perhaps too few opportunities to buy it actually?

For whatever reason Thermalright has always been kind of difficult to get, and advertising? Lol pretty abysmal. But they make good stuff, that’s why I advocate them. Nothing wrong with Noctua and BeQuiet as well as scythe. All of them are reputable.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

All of them are reputable.

And that's precisely what the problem is. 😂

Can you guys see any potential point of failure in True Spirit Power 140 in my situation?

It won't interfere with the GPU, RAM or case wing. The installation system is simple enough and sturdy enough. The thing is not excessively heavy. The bang for the buck is probably not less than any other cooler in the market. The lost OC headroom compared to D15 or AIO, if any, is probably not very large. The heatsink is probably not worse than LGM's, given TSP is rated 60 W higher and has the same/almost same fan.

I'm aware of Thermalright's problem with fan clips recquiring readjustment and causing vibration if they slip. Don't really mind doing that once a month or so.