Core Benchmarking

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

With Turbo Boost 2.0, you can only change the multiplier based on how many cores are active. Many people see this setting in the BIOS and they think that they can change the multiplier of individual cores. You cannot.

When you set the 1 core multiplier to 40, you are telling the CPU to use the 40 multiplier anytime that a single core is active. When any single core is active, the CPU will use the 40 multiplier. You cannot use this feature to make the third core run at the 40 multiplier and the other cores to run at a different multiplier.

The ability to change the multiplier of individual cores was not available until Turbo Boost 3.0 was introduced.

4 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

i dont know weather that's true or not

If it was not true, I would not post it. Do a Google search for Turbo Boost 3.0 if you want to learn more about this.

hey all, i was watching linus's video about the ryzen overclocking software and noticed that the program he uses tells the user which cores are better and which are worse.

I was wondering if anyone knows about a core benchmarking tool for intel cpus? I have an old i7 4820k and it's a bit slow for todays standards so i want to get all the performance i can get from it and it'd be easier if i knew which cores can overclock better.

21 minutes ago, ranshaa05 said:

hey all, i was watching linus's video about the ryzen overclocking software and noticed that the program he uses tells the user which cores are better and which are worse.

I was wondering if anyone knows about a core benchmarking tool for intel cpus? I have an old i7 4820k and it's a bit slow for todays standards so i want to get all the performance i can get from it and it'd be easier if i knew which cores can overclock better.

For intel, you almost never OC by core. It’s technically totally possible, but it’s something almost never done. Ryzen runs so much closer to the limit of its potential when intel does not, thus the per core OC is more applicable on Ryzen because maybe you can squeeze an extra 50mhz out of one or two cores. In all reality, an extra 50 or 100mhz is pretty meaningless on intel since most chips will do a couple hundred on all cores. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

For intel, you almost never OC by core. It’s technically totally possible, but it’s something almost never done. Ryzen runs so much closer to the limit of its potential when intel does not, thus the per core OC is more applicable on Ryzen because maybe you can squeeze an extra 50mhz out of one or two cores. In all reality, an extra 50 or 100mhz is pretty meaningless on intel since most chips will do a couple hundred on all cores. 

my motherboard has a feature that allows for per core overclocking. also, yeah, i know that it's basically meaningless but why not get as much performance as possibleif you can?

Try Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility (XTU).

2 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

my motherboard has a feature that allows for per core overclocking. also, yeah, i know that it's basically meaningless but why not get as much performance as possibleif you can?

Most mobo's do have a per core OC feature. I am just saying its very rarely used. Do you have the CPU OCed at all already?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Per core overclocking is only available on Intel CPUs that use Turbo Boost 3.0. Most Intel CPUs, including the 4820K, only use Turbo Boost 2.0.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77781/intel-core-i7-4820k-processor-10m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

With 2.0, all active cores are locked to the same multiplier.

11 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Most mobo's do have a per core OC feature. I am just saying its very rarely used. Do you have the CPU OCed at all already?

yeah, just a light oc though.

11 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Per core overclocking is only available on Intel CPUs that use Turbo Boost 3.0. Most Intel CPUs, including the 4820K, only use Turbo Boost 2.0.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77781/intel-core-i7-4820k-processor-10m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

With 2.0, all active cores are locked to the same multiplier.

well i dont know weather that's true or not, but my Gigabyte ga-x79-ud has this option and i doubt that it supports any Turbo Boost 3.0 CPU's.

57 minutes ago, ranshaa05 said:

well i dont know weather that's true or not, but my Gigabyte ga-x79-ud has this option and i doubt that it supports any Turbo Boost 3.0 CPU's.

Yea, I think they meant default from intel. Older CPU’s, I think even my i7 2600k mobo had the option, may even my 920, I don’t quite remember.

Anyways. Yes, it’s a thing. But as I said it very seldom used. I don’t know if a way of finding out which core is the best, nor have I ever seen any review or documentation on how; all I have ever seen is all core OC’s basically up until Ryzen hit the scene. I believe you said it has a light OC, why not just work on dialing in a more aggressive one and worry less about getting a single core to be faster? The initial step of a single core OC is going to be to find the max all core turbo anyways... once you get to that point, you can play around with trying to up the volts a bit and up a single cores speed by 100mhz above the rest. But, again, 100mhz likely will make no appreciable difference. 

With Turbo Boost 2.0, you can only change the multiplier based on how many cores are active. Many people see this setting in the BIOS and they think that they can change the multiplier of individual cores. You cannot.

When you set the 1 core multiplier to 40, you are telling the CPU to use the 40 multiplier anytime that a single core is active. When any single core is active, the CPU will use the 40 multiplier. You cannot use this feature to make the third core run at the 40 multiplier and the other cores to run at a different multiplier.

The ability to change the multiplier of individual cores was not available until Turbo Boost 3.0 was introduced.

4 hours ago, ranshaa05 said:

i dont know weather that's true or not

If it was not true, I would not post it. Do a Google search for Turbo Boost 3.0 if you want to learn more about this.