Black screen on boot

boey

Built my friend a PC a while back - specs listed below.

He was using Discord when his screen suddenly went black.

After he restarted his computer, it posted fine, but the screen turned black upon seeing the AORUS logo. At the same time, every fan in the system stopped working. GPU fan was already at 0% fan speed before this happened. Motherboard lights were still on.

Peripheral lighting(keyboard, mouse etc) all turned on during post, but turned off as well at the same time. 

I'm leaning towards a PSU failure, have already tried different power sockets. Any other input on this before we go buy a new PSU?(Warranty claims here are a pain in the ass, so probably wont bother)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: WD Blue 1TB
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Super AMP
Case: Tecware Vega F3
Case Fans: 2x Tecware F3 (6 fans in total, all connected to PSU directly via molex)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

14 hours ago, boey said:

Built my friend a PC a while back - specs listed below.

He was using Discord when his screen suddenly went black.

After he restarted his computer, it posted fine, but the screen turned black upon seeing the AORUS logo. At the same time, every fan in the system stopped working. GPU fan was already at 0% fan speed before this happened. Motherboard lights were still on.

Peripheral lighting(keyboard, mouse etc) all turned on during post, but turned off as well at the same time. 

I'm leaning towards a PSU failure, have already tried different power sockets. Any other input on this before we go buy a new PSU?(Warranty claims here are a pain in the ass, so probably wont bother)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: WD Blue 1TB
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Super AMP
Case: Tecware Vega F3
Case Fans: 2x Tecware F3 (6 fans in total, all connected to PSU directly via molex)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

This may be that the power supply is unable to deliver enough power or that the boot drive is stuffed, its probable the boot drive has given up, try testing with a different one, or/and try a fresh install of windows

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

7 hours ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

This may be that the power supply is unable to deliver enough power or that the boot drive is stuffed, its probable the boot drive has given up, try testing with a different one, or/and try a fresh install of windows

Would broken boot drive result in all fans turning off but the mobo light remaining? That's the one thing that's leading me more towards PSU issue than anything else

I've had other PCs with broken boot drives, usually the OS freezes and then boot drive is not detected in BIOS, here we can't even get to the BIOS

On 8/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, boey said:

Would broken boot drive result in all fans turning off but the mobo light remaining? That's the one thing that's leading me more towards PSU issue than anything else

I've had other PCs with broken boot drives, usually the OS freezes and then boot drive is not detected in BIOS, here we can't even get to the BIOS

Yeah then that sounds like a bios error, try re install bios or contact the manufacture about it, it may be the bios has shat itself

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!