Looking for closed Headphones

NickTheMajin

My budget is ~$300.

I'm looking into buying a pair of headphones to use when walking around campus and studying in study lounges. Therefore they need to be closed. I do use a pair of Sennheiser HD558s as my primary set of cans (I love the sound of them and the openness and flow of the music when I'm alone and not bothering anyone).

But for walking around and studying I need a pair of headphones that I can listen to that won't bother the people around me. I also care about the comfort and, to a lesser extent, the look and style of them.

I have used a pair of the new Beats Studios (Roughly ~$300) and they fit all of my criteria (Very comfortable, sound signature I enjoy, and look good when wearing them). So at the moment I'm leaning toward them but am open to suggestions.

Do not suggest the ATH M-50s. I bought a pair for my ex and found them extremely uncomfortable. They also look rather goofy because they flair out around the cans. I also own Sennheiser 280 pros and hate them. Terrible and muddy sound signature. Nothing like my 558s which I absolutely love.

The DT770's are closed, wonderful, comfy and have a nice bass heavy sound signature. 

I budget build well. Want to learn? PM me if you want advice. 

Interesting that you like the beats sound signature.

I can't stand them, and think they are extrememly overpriced; but love the M-50's.

I don't suppose you've tried the M-50's for an extended period of time? For me, they took a couple of weeks before they were comfortable, but they're now fine.

You might also like the DT770's for that kind of money.

beats by dre best bass headphones and they are swag dont buy other ones

I personally own a pair of these http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/ and I do love them very much. They are reasonably lightweight and extremely comfortable with a robust metal build. Sound signature is a bit heavier on the bass without doing anything at all to your mids, which is a huge plus for me. No muddyness, just strong bass with clear mids and highs. On top of that I think they look amazing, different but not garish. You can also have them etch a custom logo on the interchangable side plates if that's your thing, I just went with brushed metal plates. They come with two cables, one with a split off for a second pair of headphones and one with a mobile controller, as well as a hard shell travel case. The cables themselves are kevlar braided and detachable and can be plugged in on either side of the headphones. I like that redundancy in case something ends up breaking. They also use standard 3.5mm jacks so you can use any cable you like.

Strongly recommended if you'd like something a bit different that holds up to the same sound quality standards of companies like Beyerdynamic, which I'm sure have been recommended before I posted this cause I see the little banner at the top and imma guess DT770. So predictable, so boring :P

EDIT

I do hate my lousy typing

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

beats by dre best bass headphones and they are swag dont buy other ones

There is so much NOPE in this post....

There is so much NOPE in this post....

It was more of a joke :')

It was more of a joke :')

To be fair that one is getting a little old x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I personally own a pair of these http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/ and I do love them very much. They are reasonably lightweight and extremely comfortable with a robust metal build. Sound signature is a bit heavier on the bass without doing anything at all to your mids, which is a huge plus for me. No muddyness, just strong bass with clear mids and highs. On top of that I think they look amazing, different but not garish. You can also have them etch a custom logo on the interchangable side plates if that's your thing, I just went with brushed metal plates. They come with two cables, one with a split off for a second pair of headphones and one with a mobile controller, as well as a hard shell travel case. The cables themselves are kevlar braided and detachable and can be plugged in on either side of the headphones. I like that redundancy in case something ends up breaking. They also use standard 3.5mm jacks so you can use any cable you like.

Strongly recommended if you'd like something a bit different that holds up to the same sound quality standards of companies like Beyerdynamic, which I'm sure have been recommended before I posted this cause I see the little banner at the top and imma guess DT770. So predictable, so boring :P

EDIT

I do hate my lousy typing

From your profile pic,  thought you were

From your profile pic,  thought you were

Turns out more than two people on the internet like stylised wolves :P

Ah, the usefulness of nametags right?

To be fair that one is getting a little old x3

I know but I can't stop doing it xD

I know but I can't stop doing it xD

You're a terrible person and you should feel bad

/social obligations fulfilled

;)

You're a terrible person and you should feel bad

/social obligations fulfilled

;)

yes

My budget is ~$300.

I'm looking into buying a pair of headphones to use when walking around campus and studying in study lounges. Therefore they need to be closed. I do use a pair of Sennheiser HD558s as my primary set of cans (I love the sound of them and the openness and flow of the music when I'm alone and not bothering anyone).

But for walking around and studying I need a pair of headphones that I can listen to that won't bother the people around me. I also care about the comfort and, to a lesser extent, the look and style of them.

I have used a pair of the new Beats Studios (Roughly ~$300) and they fit all of my criteria (Very comfortable, sound signature I enjoy, and look good when wearing them). So at the moment I'm leaning toward them but am open to suggestions.

Do not suggest the ATH M-50s. I bought a pair for my ex and found them extremely uncomfortable. They also look rather goofy because they flair out around the cans. I also own Sennheiser 280 pros and hate them. Terrible and muddy sound signature. Nothing like my 558s which I absolutely love.

Get Custom One Pros.

Those V Modas definitely look nice but they are around $50 more than beats. If I can find a store to test them though and they impress me they aren't out of my budget. Just hard to consider headphones that expensive that I've never used.

As to why I like the beats, I generally have a very varied taste in music. My iphone has 14,000 songs on it across all sorts of genres which is why I like the neutral sounding sennheisers. But when walking to class or studying (the use case for these closed headphones) I listen to fun poppy music like Maroon 5 and Panic at The Disco which sounds very good on Beats headphones. I don't consider myself a bass head by any means (intact I usually use the bass reduction eq) but I have used studios with my music and liked the result.

As to the m-50s. Yeah I used them once in awhile for around a year and never liked them. The sound was a tad muddier than I like and they really do look goofy.

Get Custom One Pros.

i second that.

if you go V-Moda check the Crossfade LP model, it's an option if you prefer a bassier headphone than the Crossfade m-100. (edit: the m-100 sounds more "natural" and the bass isn't as dominant, i personally would pick the m-100)

beats are just not propperly priced. they really sound like a 50$ headphone while you pay 250$ more just for the brand/looks.

Get Custom One Pros.

Do you know if those would be on display at a place like best buy? Going by reviews online id like to give them a test but couldn't blindly buy them because they are the same price as studios.

Do you know if those would be on display at a place like best buy? Going by reviews online id like to give them a test but couldn't blindly buy them because they are the same price as studios.

they aren't because of the fact that they put on display headphones that are shit for no good reason, just look at our reviews we have on the COP's.

i second that.

if you go V-Moda check the Crossfade LP model, it's an option if you prefer a bassier headphone than the Crossfade m-100.

beats are just not propperly priced. they really sound like a 50$ headphone while you pay 250$ more just for the brand/looks.

I disagree with this. I've used headphones from many companies including beats, Bose, audio technica and sennheiser and enjoy the sound of beats headphones. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but you are definitely exaggerating. I'd put the studios somewhere around $200 cans because I like them just as much as my hd558s. The extra $100 is brand and build quality.

they aren't because of the fact that they put on display headphones that are shit for no good reason, just look at our reviews we have on the COP's.

Too much goes into whether headphones are enjoyable for me to purchase headphones I've never used. Example being how loved m50s are and my disliking of them when I actually used them.

Too much goes into whether headphones are enjoyable for me to purchase headphones I've never used. Example being how loved m50s are and my disliking of them when I actually used them.

oh a LOT of people here recommend them. Just buy it and return em' if you don't like them. 

I disagree with this. I've used headphones from many companies including beats, Bose, audio technica and sennheiser and enjoy the sound of beats headphones. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but you are definitely exaggerating. I'd put the studios somewhere around $200 cans because I like them just as much as my hd558s. The extra $100 is brand and build quality.

well, from my experience (2012 beats studio) the beats give lots of emphasis on bass and the rest sounds pretty muffled and not really the way you're supposed to hear it.

don't get me wrong, if you absolutely LOVE bass they're not really a bad option, they're just really expensive considering other options on the market that cost half of them and they overall sound better (good detail, smooth frequency response, etc)

I don't think any of the people here got over the fact that he also like his 558's.

OP, Custom One Pro and DT770 are very good headphones, take a look at those. You could also take a look at CHC Silverado's, which I aquired recently, very good heaphones, nice for being out and about, though some people might not like the looks of them.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Pioneer HDJ-2000s? They have a slight V curve, are built like a tank, are super comfortable and sound really good. They also are pretty good looking. There are definitely cheaper options, but these are also cheaper than the beats you are looking at.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?