Headphones Suggestions

plutomaniac

Hello, I'd like to buy an Asus Xonar card and headphones. Currently, I have a Creative Audigy SE. I will use them mostly for games and less movies and music. These are what I'm looking for:

• Budget Soundcard (front-panel header, headphone amp, pcie)
  • Descent Headphones (closed, comfortable, stereo, accurate sound positioning, regular 3.5mm, non-glossy)

I'm thinking of an Asus Xonar DGX and a Razer Kraken. Apart from your sound card and headphones suggestions, will I see an improvement going from the Audigy SE to a Xonar DGX?

Virtual surrounds horrible as well what you want is just plain stereo headphones with a large sound stage and accurate sound positioning. The AD700 is a good example. These are opened with recessed bass. A good overall headphone is the HD 558. Its open with moderate bass. Closed headphones wont be good for gaming as they have shallow sound stage, but they are good for bass. At greater budgets, youll see more open headphones with greater bass response.

You could get a $8 mic thatll work just as well

Whats your budget and country?

I meant positional audio. I'm not looking for anything special. I don't want others to hear what music I'm listening or game I'm playing. So closed and not open (this sound quality loss is insignificant to me). Let's say headphones only, not headsets. Both the card and the headphones must be under 100€ (130$) or less if possible.

By the way, I'm also looking for sound card suggestions. For example, if hypothetically someone tells me that it's better to go with a DX and cheaper headphones because of x,y reasons then I'd gladly look into it.

Keep your sound card if it works fine for you.

Leaves all that budget for the headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Like these

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

So you are saying that I won't see any difference going from the old Audigy SE to a Xonar DGX? If I get just headphones then the budget won't be 100. Also, I would prefer some more "popular" game headphones from companies like Logitech, Razer, Corsair, Sennheizer, Steelseries etc...

Edit: Updated first post.

the difference won't really be noticeable till you get a really good headphone. it's basically a bottleneck. 

Well to be honest the only reason I am thinking of going with a Xonar is the driver support. Let's focus on the headphones themselves then. What do you suggest?

the Creative Aurvana Live Headphones are good and cheap. theyre closed. not sure about the sound positioning. the DT770 would be a better option for closed headphones with sound stage. thats out of your budget and i suggest getting an amp with it.

with your budget, you cant get both features.

After google searching, reviews, specs, features, availability etc... This is the first time I am looking for audio products so it's a little overwhelming but I narrowed it down to two headsets (yes I know, not headphones but I don't care about the mic so it can be there for skype and stuff like that):

Corsair Vengeance 1300

Razer Kraken Pro Black

So what do you think? They are both closed, comfortable (the 1300 needs some time first) and similar in prize. I like more the look of the kraken as well as the hidden mic whereas the 1300 has a boom mic (or whatever Linus calls it). The 1300 has 50mm drivers and great virtual surround support based on numerous reviews. The kraken focuses more on comfort and very good stereo sound which is more important for me I guess. One complain I've seen about the 1300 is the cable which is way too long with a small volume/mic-mute hub hanging from one side making it a little uncomfortable sometimes.