Dead GPUs getting back alive

eeshverma

okay so here is a hilarious story
I have a MSI GTX 1070 8GB ARMOR OC edition and it stopped working at around December 2019, I tried everything I could but couldn't bring it back so I went to the company and they declared it Dead from the GPU Chip itself so they said they can't do anything to make it right, it was out of warranty so I threw it beneath my bed and call it a day
7 months later I was cleaning my room and I hooked that GPU last time so I could just throw it in trash and IT STARTED WORKING NORMALLY. This was the graphic card which was declared dead by company and they said it will not work at all and here it is 7 months later working quite well
does anyone have any explanation or theory on why did it started working?
1. I never overclocked it
2. It wasn't physically damaged
3. the fans and everything was well and good the chip was declared dead
does anyone has any clue what and why this would happen?

and yes SAME THING HAPPENED with my other GPU it was an AMD HD7850 earlier but I was thinking maybe it was just luck but what is this?

P.S: Attaching a picture I took at that time when I showed it to third party repair services, they showed me tiny bit water droplets on pcb (in picture) which they dried and we thought it might work but it did not, but yep now it is working :)

IMG_20200820_135621.jpg

maybe you have a very small gpu repair person under your bed?

seriously now, no idea what could have been the issue. the card was clearly not dead, and since it was out of warranty, the company preferred to tell you it's not repairable so that you'll buy a new one.

Just now, boggy77 said:

maybe you have a very small gpu repair man under your bed?

seriously now, no idea what could have been the issue. the card was clearly not dead, and since it was out of warranty, the company preferred to tell you it's not repairable so that you'll buy a new one.

馃槀 I am totally confused about this fact but yes the company might be lying about it, to confirm the theory with the company declaring it dead, in December only, I went to a third party repairing company and they showed me a very tiny amount of water droplets on the PCB beneath the heat sink, so I thought that might be the issue.

they dried the whole thing and tried to boot it up but still it wasn't working, so after being declared dead by two professional companies I was sure its brick, then I threw the gpu away (it costed a lot for me so it was something I couldn't move on from, took months for me)

but yep, god bless that repairman under my bed 馃槀

59 minutes ago, eeshverma said:

馃槀 I am totally confused about this fact but yes the company might be lying about it, to confirm the theory with the company declaring it dead, in December only, I went to a third party repairing company and they showed me a very tiny amount of water droplets on the PCB beneath the heat sink, so I thought that might be the issue.

they dried the whole thing and tried to boot it up but still it wasn't working, so after being declared dead by two professional companies I was sure its brick, then I threw the gpu away (it costed a lot for me so it was something I couldn't move on from, took months for me)

but yep, god bless that repairman under my bed 馃槀

So now everybody with a broken GPU should come聽throw it under your bed and then wait a few months

32 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

So now everybody with a broken GPU should come聽throw it under your bed and then wiat a few months

I really am interested in testing this theory 馃槀