Time to (down?) upgrade to Win 10?

Sarra

So, I've been running Win 8.1 on this machine for forever. However, I actually wish to play FS2020, which requires Win 10. I'm really not a fan of Win 10, I actually like the Start menu on 8.1, the settings are less of an avalanche of nightmares, and in general, I just like 8.1.

So, this machine is getting old, and I'm getting close to building a new gaming PC and retiring this machine to server duties (gonna pull the SSD's out and put in a few 10TB HDD's for video file storage). Other than fileserver duties, I will be retaining the GTX 980 and using it as a multi-monitor media PC (playing YouTube, Netflix, VRV/Crunchyroll, etc). So, my question is: Should I spend extra and get Win 10 Pro, or will I have all of the features I need in Win 10 Home? I know for sure my new gaming PC will have Win 10 Pro, since I need the Remote Desktop client for that, but I think the client machine does not need Pro to be a host? That seems so backwards, I don't even know what to think of it.

I got the 'free' upgrade to Win 10 forever ago (I mean, forced upgrade), and so I know that Win 10 WILL run on this machine. I ended up having a HDD die, and decided to go with an SSD boot drive, and just reinstalled Win 8.1 and never even got the option for the 'free upgrade' again, but I have an unused Win 10 Home disk and key here, since I didn't realize that when I reinstalled Win 10 on my crappy laptop it would not require a new key, since it's an HP laptop.

Second question is this: How does Win 10 play with multi-boot? Specifically thinking about getting into Linux again, but I don't want all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak, so I want to retain Win 10.

And finally, I'm probably a few months from upgrading to a new gaming rig, but I already purchased FS2020, and dang it, I want to play it NOW. D:<

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Make a Windows 10 install USB and use the key you had for Windows 8.1 (or it might be activated through your Microsoft account, in which case you wouldn't even need to use the key).

Windows 10 works fine when dual booting, just make sure you install Linux second since GRUB can boot Windows, but Windows Boot Loader can't boot Linux

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

28 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Make a Windows 10 install USB and use the key you had for Windows 8.1 (or it might be activated through your Microsoft account, in which case you wouldn't even need to use the key).

Windows 10 works fine when dual booting, just make sure you install Linux second since GRUB can boot Windows, but Windows Boot Loader can't boot Linux

Yeah, I should invest some time and learn how to do a UEFI installer on a USB key. I've been putting that off, I've found some good guides for it. Now that I have a USB DVD drive, it actually shouldn't be too difficult.

You actually answered my entire question about dual booting, thank you. :D 

I like to use Rufus to put an install ISO on a USB.  Recommend giving it a look.  They have a portable version too

to be honest i'd keep 8.1 on it, it's a lot better for server use since you can tell it not to restart automatically for updates. since you're building a new pc soon anyway i'd just use that on 10 and keep this system on 8.1. 

She/Her

13 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

to be honest i'd keep 8.1 on it, it's a lot better for server use since you can tell it not to restart automatically for updates. since you're building a new pc soon anyway i'd just use that on 10 and keep this system on 8.1. 

lol I hadn't even considered that. I think I like this the best. Or maybe even multi-boot with Win 10, Win 8.1, and Mint? Hmmm... I know from years past that Remote Desktop works between windows versions, so that actually seems to be a good idea. Plus, if I can't get drivers working with Win 10 right, I would still have a 8.1 install to keep the machine alive.