MSI Z390 Godlike power question, many other issues.

I was just flipping through the Godlike manual for no particular reason and I noticed something I don't remember seeing before. 

In the manual it says to attach 2x 8pin CPU power headers and 1x 6pin pci-e header.. 

On my power supply (EVGA 1000g5) I'm pretty sure I hooked that pci-e header to some other type of port. Like another cpu port.. 

Due to the shape of the individual wire housings on the headers, you CANT plug it in wrong right? It will ONLY plug in in ways that give the correct voltages to the correct wires right? I don't feel like tearing apart my PC to see how I hooked it up.  The PC works mostly fine. Tiny little issues here and there but nothing making me think things are getting over or under the power they should be getting.

Those few small issues I'm having that I can't figure out for the life of me are this: subtle tiny extremely quick stutters in video and sound simultaneously. Happens randomly.  Upon entering password when starting up PC from sleep or shut down or hibernate or restart the logging in logo will freeze for a micro second. Rear 1/4 inch audio jack thinks I'm plugging in to front audio when I plug in. Keyboard randomly switches to and from being controlled by dragon center and icue, even though I told dragon center to NOT override icue. Rgb on 2080ti will not automatically adjust to my custom rgb settings along with the rest of the system. It'll defaults to "rainbow wave" while the rest of the system is at a dull white. (50, 50, 50). One of my 500gb hdd's is recognized in the windows disk partition manager but not shown in "this PC" or anywhere else. Custom fan curves don't take. They're set but when temps reach where they should be ramping up, they don't ramp up.  "Speed fan" and "MSI afterburner" custom fan curves or even manual fan adjustment do not change fan speeds at all no matter what they're set at or when or how.  When HDR is enabled in windows it just turns everything gray. Doesn't look like HDR. But HDR in games works fine. When I tell the PC to sleep it'll freeze in a half sleep state once in a while. The monitors turn off but the PC stays on and I have to hold the power button and force reset it in order to get it back on and usable.

There's probably 50 other things I'm forgetting. I kinda have up on trying to fix them after months of trying to figure them out. The PC works for the most part so it's not a huge deal. Just very annoying that a 7 thousand dollar PC set up isn't perfectly flawless like I want it to be.

I've posted about some of these issues before with no help so if anyone can help at all with any issue I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

In case it matters, this is my full PC setup: 

MSI Z390 Godlike mobo

I9 9900k

32gb dominator platinum ddr4

MSI gaming x trio 2080ti

EVGA 1000 G5

Enermax 360mm aio

Asus tuff gaming gt501

2x 1tb Samsung 860evo ssd

1x 500gb Samsung 970 Evo nvme SSD

2x 1tb HDD

2x 500gb HDD

ASUS XG438Q monitor

Samsung 6 series 2nd monitor

Yamaha MG10XU mixer

Corsair nights word rgb mouse

Corsair K95 Platinum keyboard

Cyberpower 1500VA UPS

Akg p120 mic

Canon M50 "webcam" 

2x Eris 4.5 studio monitors

2x teac 3" studio monitors

15978879553498248746134921108433.jpg

15978879883252106791904088559442.jpg

Mixing the software and running it all at the same time can cause conflicts.

I would only use 1 program at a time and make sure only 1 starts up with the PC or just stop them all from start up and open them when needed. This might help the sleep issues, but really that could be anything. Even XMP can sometimes cause little issues even though tested stable, the issue is more on the OS side than it is the hardware side.

The 9900K won't need more than the dual 8 pin eps connectors anyways. But some boards do require all eps connectors plugged in to work properly, so no worries, just leave it the way it is. No, you cant plug in a PCIe into a cpu eps female connector. They just wouldn't line up, you'd gave up in 15 seconds lol.

Nice rig though. I'd rock it.

Oh for the micro stutter, research that a bit. Maybe a previous GPU driver would be better. But there are plenty of things to try for sure.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Mixing the software and running it all at the same time can cause conflicts.

I would only use 1 program at a time and make sure only 1 starts up with the PC or just stop them all from start up and open them when needed. This might help the sleep issues, but really that could be anything. Even XMP can sometimes cause little issues even though tested stable, the issue is more on the OS side than it is the hardware side.

The 9900K won't need more than the dual 8 pin eps connectors anyways. But some boards do require all eps connectors plugged in to work properly, so no worries, just leave it the way it is. No, you cant plug in a PCIe into a cpu eps female connector. They just wouldn't line up, you'd gave up in 15 seconds lol.

Nice rig though. I'd rock it.

Oh for the micro stutter, research that a bit. Maybe a previous GPU driver would be better. But there are plenty of things to try for sure.

unfortunately i HAVE to use both softwares. dragon center cant control my mouse rgb, and it cant set individual button rgb on my keyboard.. And icue cant control anything other than the keyboard and mouse lights. so i need dragon center for the tower rgb.

I was wondering if xmp was the issue. But the problem is it happens so infrequently that it would be hard to test if it would even be fixed if i turned it off. Id have to just turn it off and sit there waiting for potentially weeks. But i dont have it set past the guaranteed speed on the box. 3200mhz. I know you can sometimes push ram pretty high, even higher than its rated for, but i dont like pushing things like that. I'm not trying to break records so the normal speeds everything is rated for is fine for me. as long as i get 120hz in 4k on my games im happy. and i almost always do. and on the games i dont, its like 110, 115fps. which is plenty. i dont like seeing my hardware pinned at 100% usage, but id rather that then overclock it and get the extra heat. This motherboard has that dial that supposedly self overclocks up to insane voltages and speeds. i havent even played with that. I'm kinda terrified to destroy a pc i cant afford to replace. lol.

But cool man. thank you for the info. i appreciate the response!

Well there's a lot going on there. I don't get into RGB enough to control it. The only software tool I have on my benchmarking setup is QuickCpu because it gives me an all in one control over windows power settings. Even allows me to park and unpark cores for performance reasons. I can literally run power savings and never park a core. pretty cool app. 

Most of my overclocking is done strictly in bios. If I'm running LN2 or Dice, I'll install the OC software to get more frequency that may not post up, and with certain boards I don't even have to do that, there's an LN2 switch that's useful to keep software off the PC. But please be aware I'm more into competitive overclocking and benchmarking, so slim OS and the least amount of software possible seems to net the best results.

Think of memory usage like hard drive usage. The more you fill, the longer it takes to access. So slimming running processes isn't really a bad thing. Nothing starts with my system, it only takes a few seconds to have a working desktop. I am running W7 however, and is a much lighter operating system from the get go.

Your cpu will easily do all core 5ghz at about 1.35v (give or take 0.01v) on average. My 8700K does 5ghz at 1.3600v. This is a pretty safe place to be for system performance gains. Heck, you could even leave the v-core on auto and see where it lands. adjust the LLC manually so it doesn't push too high unnecessarily. This is probably the easiest way to gain performance within a safe thermal margin. Once you get around 5.2ghz, they become big heat pumps. Goal would be to keep under 90c at full load imo. 

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well there's a lot going on there. I don't get into RGB enough to control it. The only software tool I have on my benchmarking setup is QuickCpu because it gives me an all in one control over windows power settings. Even allows me to park and unpark cores for performance reasons. I can literally run power savings and never park a core. pretty cool app. 

Most of my overclocking is done strictly in bios. If I'm running LN2 or Dice, I'll install the OC software to get more frequency that may not post up, and with certain boards I don't even have to do that, there's an LN2 switch that's useful to keep software off the PC. But please be aware I'm more into competitive overclocking and benchmarking, so slim OS and the least amount of software possible seems to net the best results.

Think of memory usage like hard drive usage. The more you fill, the longer it takes to access. So slimming running processes isn't really a bad thing. Nothing starts with my system, it only takes a few seconds to have a working desktop. I am running W7 however, and is a much lighter operating system from the get go.

Your cpu will easily do all core 5ghz at about 1.35v (give or take 0.01v) on average. My 8700K does 5ghz at 1.3600v. This is a pretty safe place to be for system performance gains. Heck, you could even leave the v-core on auto and see where it lands. adjust the LLC manually so it doesn't push too high unnecessarily. This is probably the easiest way to gain performance within a safe thermal margin. Once you get around 5.2ghz, they become big heat pumps. Goal would be to keep under 90c at full load imo. 

if i remember the numbers correctly, the auto overclock dial pushes the 9900k to 5.7ghz all core. But that seems unrealistic imo. i remember when 5ghz was a dream and now cpus are hitting it without an issue. lol. I did try to OC this cpu a few times but could never get it stable. so after i pushed the voltages too high to be comfortabl,e with i just left it stock. there are so many options in this bios its overwhelming. and like i said before, im terrified of frying something. my last pc before this was a 4790k/asus z97 deluxe.. thats how often i build new computers. lol. If i could get this overclocked and stable id love that, but going from a 4790k to the 9900k, even stock this thing blows my last pc out the water. so i havent been too concerned with overclocking. besides rendering 4k video i havent really ran into anything that i would need more speed in with this pc. im absolutely loving it.

I'm gonna download that app though. that sounds awesome. i wanna try it.

Nothing wrong with it stock. That cpu is FAF just like that anyways :P 

You also can overclock the cpu cache. Generally 4.7ghz or 47X is safe. I would try 4.5ghz to start with. Leave cpu v-core on auto test stability. Some boards may call this Ring ratio.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nothing wrong with it stock. That cpu is FAF just like that anyways :P 

You also can overclock the cpu cache. Generally 4.7ghz or 47X is safe. I would try 4.5ghz to start with. Leave cpu v-core on auto test stability. Some boards may call this Ring ratio.

I'm gonna google that rn. awesome. i really appreciate the info!

2 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

I'm gonna google that rn. awesome. i really appreciate the info!

Yea, use google images for reference ;)