Solution for Network Latency when Gaming

I am having network latency and network speed issues with my current wireless network. I want upgrade my network setup and need help figuring out what I should do next.

The main targeted devices I need constant speed and low network latency are my Gaming Desktop and Xbox and Apple TV (to Stream 4K) rest of the devices I am not worried immediately. 

- Should I buy an Extender and use that as a Access Point for Wired Connection to my Devices ?

- Should I run wires from my router using a Network Switch ?

- Should I do something Better ?

One thing to confess is I renting the place I currently live (which is a 50+ year old home) and might move out soon.

Currently the Router is placed in the 3rd Floor and I have my Gaming Desktop and Apple TV in the 2nd Floor.

2 minutes ago, noodleMind said:

Should I run wires from my router using a Network Switch ?

^ This is the best thing you can do to help latency and connection issues.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

100% run wires. If you can run wires, run wires, and don’t even mess with Wifi. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably run one wire from the Router to the room and then use the switch.

Do you have any suggestions on the switch that might work ?

1 minute ago, noodleMind said:

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably run one wire from the Router to the room and then use the switch.

Do you have any suggestions on the switch that might work ?

As long as it's name brand and gigabit you sould be alright. You're not running too many devices.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

ethernet is always going to be the best option. But in your case, because (probably) can't run a cable across floors, a good mesh wifi system would also work well.

Quick question: are you using the modem/router provided by your ISP? what ISP? What speeds do you pay for? 

3 hours ago, Saksham said:

ethernet is always going to be the best option. But in your case, because (probably) can't run a cable across floors, a good mesh wifi system would also work well.

Quick question: are you using the modem/router provided by your ISP? what ISP? What speeds do you pay for? 

I have comcast and have 600Mbps Comcast Internet. I am using the new Xfinity Router Modem that was rented from Comcast

49 minutes ago, noodleMind said:

Xfinity Router Modem that was rented from Comcast

i'm assuming you pay for that them... please for the love of god please buy your own. instead of paying $10/month for the trash that they give you, buy your own for $100 and you never have to pay again. buy your own router if you can too. you'll get a much better connection with one you can buy yourself (along with much more control over how it works in the settings). 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, Saksham said:

i'm assuming you pay for that them... please for the love of god please buy your own. instead of paying $10/month for the trash that they give you, buy your own for $100 and you never have to pay again. buy your own router if you can too. you'll get a much better connection with one you can buy yourself (along with much more control over how it works in the settings). 

I am considering to buy another one. I got a router and modem earlier and had speed / connection issues. Xfinity said they can only troubleshoot or guarantee the speeds if I use their modem/router,