Connecting to wifi on my pc kills my whole network

Arael

so I just bought a new usb wifi adapter and plugged it into my pc after trying to connect to my wifi it completely destroyed my whole network forcing me to reset my router, any help? I've fixed this issue before with reinstall windows but that would be a hassle, and getting ethernet in my room would be a hassle aswell 

I had this problem with a cheap USB adapter, I think it gives two systems the same IP address. I fixed it by connecting to the guest network.

23 minutes ago, Tilar1488 said:

so I just bought a new usb wifi adapter and plugged it into my pc after trying to connect to my wifi it completely destroyed my whole network...

What do you mean by this? What behaviour did you notice?

What is the make/model of the USB WiFi adapter?

Have you tried connecting the dongle to another computer? There's also the possibility it's DOA. Sometimes when network cards go bad they start broadcasting garbage onto the network killing all communication.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried connecting the dongle to another computer? There's also the possibility it's DOA. Sometimes when network cards go bad they start broadcasting garbage onto the network killing all communication.

Connected it to my laptop and it instantly worked and made my signal better so its not doa 

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

What do you mean by this? What behaviour did you notice?

What is the make/model of the USB WiFi adapter?

Here's the link to it https://www.amazon.com/1900Mbps-Wireless-Antennas-Compatible-10-6-10-15-4/dp/B0895N285F/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=edup+wifi+adapter&qid=1597784372&sprefix=edup&sr=8-18

4 minutes ago, Tilar1488 said:

Connected it to my laptop and it instantly worked and made my signal better so its not doa 

Did you try other USB ports on the question system? Front panel & rear motherboard ports?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you try other USB ports on the question system? Front panel & rear motherboard ports?

No, I only tried the port that i was using for my old one before it broke. Before I test a different one, would doing a network reset in windows be a good idea or?

7 minutes ago, Tilar1488 said:

No, I only tried the port that i was using for my old one before it broke. Before I test a different one, would doing a network reset in windows be a good idea or?

When you plug it in and connect to your network you can run the CMD commands ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew if you want but a reset through the GUI likely won't change the adapters behaviour.

I would try booting another OS install. See if the behaviour is repeatable. It would tell us if we're working with a hardware or OS problem.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When you plug it in and connect to your network you can run the CMD commands ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew if you want but a reset through the GUI likely won't change the adapters behaviour.

I would try booting another OS install. See if the behaviour is repeatable. It would tell us if we're working with a hardware or OS problem.

Tried a new port and did the ipconfig stuff, didn't kill my 5ghz network might have killed 2.4ghz not sure but still wouldn't let me connect. Now, when you mean new os install are you talking about me reinstall windows or a different operating system because I do have manjaro dual booted but I dont have wifi on it.

My idea was if you had a spare drive you could install a throwaway copy of Windows on but since we're testing a network stability issue here Manjaro will work assuming it has a compatible driver.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

My idea was if you had a spare drive you could install a throwaway copy of Windows on but since we're testing a network stability issue here Manjaro will work assuming it has a compatible driver.

Well im pretty sure realtek (it uses a realtek driver) doesn't have drivers for manjaro, so I'm guessing its just a software error because it works completely fine on a different laptop so at this point I think I might just reinstall windows all together. It wouldn't really be a hassle because I can just move all my semi important files to my hdd and just wipe my ssd

Yeah, Reatek & Linux don't mix well. Before you go wiping your OS have you checked if there's any other network drivers installed that might explain the issue? Does this Wi-Fi adapter come with a driver? The issue could just be Windows included driver for the Realtek controller is garbage.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, Reatek & Linux don't mix well. Before you go wiping your OS have you checked if there's any other network drivers installed that might explain the issue? Does this Wi-Fi adapter come with a driver? The issue could just be Windows included driver for the Realtek controller is garbage.

Came with the adapter and I might have others installed but where would I check that at

1 hour ago, Tilar1488 said:

Came with the adapter and I might have others installed but where would I check that at

Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features

Any drivers within Device Manager should get over-ridden when you install the driver from the manufacturer so I don't think those are worth checking. Did you try downloading the latest version of the driver strait from the manufacturers website?