Mouse cursor freezes on bootup

rijzen
Go to solution Solved by rijzen,
6 hours ago, Darth Riker said:

Hmm. Well according to the manual for your motherboard (which I'm assuming is this one: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-pro-ac_1001_e.pdf) it looks like it Legacy USB Support should be enabled by default (make sure you are in Advanced Mode in your BIOS, then go to Settings. p.31 of the manual).

That being said - since you mentioned it was working until what sounds like a recent update of some sort (be it Windows Update or whatever) - that's why I was thinking a complete driver uninstall and re-install would be something to try first. And test using a simple USB mouse as well.

the complete mouse driver uninstall did the trick, thanks again :)

My mouse cursor freezes on windows boot up and i have to unplug and replug it in every time, any ideas?

steelseries 3 mouse

razer cynosa chroma keyboard

r5 3600

gigabyte b550 aorus pro ac

32gb trident-z 3200mhz

evga 2070 super xc ultra

860 evo 1tb

Try another mouse

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I've been living with this for years. I think there is some issue with USB power?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 hours ago, Kanna said:

Try another mouse

i did try my other one a g502 and it does the same thing, im wondering if maybe its a bios setting where power gets temporarily interrupted to the usb ports when the os takes over or if its just a crappy windows 10 update issue. I have tried all the ports from the 3.2 gen 2s all the way down to the 2.0s and the fronts

11 minutes ago, rijzen said:

i did try my other one a g502 and it does the same thing, im wondering if maybe its a bios setting where power gets temporarily interrupted to the usb ports when the os takes over or if its just a crappy windows 10 update issue. I have tried all the ports from the 3.2 gen 2s all the way down to the 2.0s and the fronts

Maybe you running without a PSU is part of the problem, but fr some PC’s can have usb ports overloaded try “ONLY” the mouse plugged in and see if it persists 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 hours ago, Kanna said:

Maybe you running without a PSU is part of the problem, but fr some PC’s can have usb ports overloaded try “ONLY” the mouse plugged in and see if it persists 

I see I forgot my psu in the post lol it's a Corsair hx 750 platinum. I tried unplugging the keyboard during boot so it's just the mouse and the issue persists. Gonna do a clean windows install tomorrow and try again. Thanks for the replies :)

22 minutes ago, Darth Riker said:

Is this a brand new build?

It's newish, like 3 weeks. But this issue started 3 days ago.

Hmm. Did anything update recently? Is all the hardware working properly in device manager?

Have you tried downloading the drivers for your mouse (assuming there are any) and re-installing them?

You could also unplug the mouse, manually remove the mouse in device manager (tricky without a mouse I know but the best way would be to, with your mouse working, bring up device manager, find your mouse entry, open it, go to the Driver tab, remove your mouse, then use the keyboard to select the uninstall option at the bottom), restart the computer, then plug the mouse back in. The drivers should reinstall automatically.

You mentioned you already tried all the USB ports on your computer - did you do that both types of mouse? Have you got a simple, not fancy, USB mouse you can test all the ports with?

If none of the above work you may have to look at the motherboard. Note: the below steps are obviously a risk since they involve doing stuff with the motherboard.

1. Check the BIOS. Is there a legacy USB support option? If there is - enable it.

2. Double check your RAM (I know, weird request, but I've seen posts where re-seating RAM/moving RAM/swapping RAM has fixed it ....no idea why)?

3. Try turning off you computer, unplugging it from the wall, disconnect power connections to your motherboard from your PSU, wait for 5 minutes, take out the CMOS battery (carefully), wait for 5 minutes, put the CMOS battery back in, connecting everything up and test.

5 minutes ago, Darth Riker said:

Hmm. Did anything update recently? Is all the hardware working properly in device manager?

Have you tried downloading the drivers for your mouse (assuming there are any) and re-installing them?

You could also unplug the mouse, manually remove the mouse in device manager (tricky without a mouse I know but the best way would be to, with your mouse working, bring up device manager, find your mouse entry, open it, go to the Driver tab, remove your mouse, then use the keyboard to select the uninstall option at the bottom), restart the computer, then plug the mouse back in. The drivers should reinstall automatically.

You mentioned you already tried all the USB ports on your computer - did you do that both types of mouse? Have you got a simple, not fancy, USB mouse you can test all the ports with?

If none of the above work you may have to look at the motherboard. Note: the below steps are obviously a risk since they involve doing stuff with the motherboard.

1. Check the BIOS. Is there a legacy USB support option? If there is - enable it.

2. Double check your RAM (I know, weird request, but I've seen posts where re-seating RAM/moving RAM/swapping RAM has fixed it ....no idea why)?

3. Try turning off you computer, unplugging it from the wall, disconnect power connections to your motherboard from your PSU, wait for 5 minutes, take out the CMOS battery (carefully), wait for 5 minutes, put the CMOS battery back in, connecting everything up and test.

The only recent changes or updates were the more recent windows update. I tried a CMOS reset yesterday. I'll look for the legacy USB setting, I haven't used a gigabyte motherboard in at least 16 years now and I swear everything in the bios uses different names lol. I've been using Intel since my opteron days , is there any AMD specific settings I should know about?

Hmm. Well according to the manual for your motherboard (which I'm assuming is this one: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-pro-ac_1001_e.pdf) it looks like it Legacy USB Support should be enabled by default (make sure you are in Advanced Mode in your BIOS, then go to Settings. p.31 of the manual).

That being said - since you mentioned it was working until what sounds like a recent update of some sort (be it Windows Update or whatever) - that's why I was thinking a complete driver uninstall and re-install would be something to try first. And test using a simple USB mouse as well.

18 minutes ago, Darth Riker said:

Ok, I'll give that a shot in the morning. Gotta dig up a basic mouse from my attic. Thank you again

6 hours ago, Darth Riker said:

the complete mouse driver uninstall did the trick, thanks again :)

1 hour ago, Darth Riker said:

Glad to hear it worked. You may need to prevent Windows from updating the drivers in the future.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Looks like there are multiple ways to do it (as well as potentially blocking driver updates for specific hardware devices).

Cool I'll do that