PC going haywire while gaming

Zebaschdian

Hey there!

Just to preface this: I have no idea when it exactly started and I it's not always been like this.

So recently I've been having a weird issue where my Computer (complete Speclist below) is completely crippled by playing any game. I can't run any browser on my second monitor to watch Youtube (the video just starts buffering endlessly) or run RTX voice (my voice sounds like I'm talking through a fan) or generally anything that needs a bit of computing power. The weird thing about that is that my GPU utilization stays locked at 100% when viewed in task manager even when the game isn't all that demanding. I first noticed this a couple weeks back while playing Destiny 2 and just thought eh, it's just this one game, but it started happing with others as well, the most notable being Forza Horizon 4, League of Legends, CS:GO and A plague tale: Innocence. All of them titles that my PC should handle without any issues. (On that note: I've been struggling to get more than 140fps in League, what??)

Also I'm dropping a lot of frames while streaming, which I guess is caused by OBS not running smoothly parallel to the Game I'm trying to stream.
I've had the PC on High performance mode since I got it late last year and enabled the Ultimate performance mode (with this command: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61) once I saw the performance issues but that obviously didn't change anything.

Then again, stuff like Teamspeak or Discord seem to work perfectly fine, even when I'm broadcasting stuff to other people on servers.

So here's the specs:

Windows 10 home running the latest version as of this post.
i7 9700k with 4.5GHz on all cores (multicore enhancement is enabled, so are pretty much all the performance enhancing BIOS settings)
RTX 2080 super from ASUS ROG without any overclock or power target raise (1650 MHz base and 2055 MHz boost on the core as well as 7501MHz on the memory, voltages are 775mV while idle and 1038mV under load)

Asus ROG Z390-F Gaming Motherboard

32GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM running at their XMP 2 Profile which is 3600MHz
Bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 750W

For Storage:
1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3 1/2'' HDD
I'm running Air cooling:
Bequiet Dark Base 700 Case (the one with the glass sidepanel)
4 Bequiet Silent Wings 3 140mm Fans (2 in front, 1 on the back, 1 on top where the venting slits are)
Bequiet Dark Rock 4 with the included 1 Silent wings 3 130mm Fan

Monitor-wise I've got:

Asus ROG PG278QR (1440p, 144 Hz)

Some other Asus Monitor I don't know the name of (1080p, 60Hz)

All the drivers are, as far as I can tell, up to date.

I don't know if that's interesting or not, but I've got Razer Synapse running all the time due to personalized profiles on my Mouse and Keyboard.
Also Corsair iCUE is deinstalled do to it taking up way too many system resources and the lighting working even without it.

I've gotten rid of the Viper RGB stuff that comes with the Aura RGB software.

If anyone could help I would be extremely thankful, I'm at a complete loss here.
If you need any more info, I would be very happy to provide it.

Cheers
Sebastian

Try to rule out as much as you can

End all the background software you can through task manager

Use DDU and reinstall your gpu drivers

If possible, reinstall windows or boot up in linux and see if the performance changes

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

i had similar issues.

the youtube videos just buffering happened only during loading screens and or when downloading stuff.

i ended up removing litterally everything from all drives and reinstalling everything again, and it works okay ish now.

only exception is i can't get more than 120 fps in csgo/league even tho i have a 240Hz monitor and a 2080.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

30 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Try to rule out as much as you can

Use DDU and reinstall your gpu drivers

If possible, reinstall windows or boot up in linux and see if the performance changes

Ah, windows, If it wasn't for the fact that most programs are made to run on windows I would switch to linux at the speed of light!

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Okay so I was on holiday the whole of last week, I will try just setting it up as if it were a new pc, redownloading everything and so on. I'll also clear CMOS in case I messed something up in BIOS. Will keep you guys posted. Could it possibly be Norton Security slowing everything down?

On 8/17/2020 at 10:16 AM, DakotaWebber said:

that is naturally one of the first steps I took. I did shut down everything I was comfortable with but honestly software-wise I'm not all that proficient.

@Zebaschdian

Apparently your power supply allows you to switch between multi rail and single rail outputs depending on your needs. So if its set to "multi-rail", I would try switching it to single rail if you haven't already. Its what it should be set at anyway since you only have one GPU. You can also try testing your ram for any faults with the app below. Faulty ram will give you all sorts of headaches. 

Link: https://www.memtest86.com/

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10