What does this mean?

Kaleb Janzen

just let it run. do not force shutdown. Windows will occasionally check your hard drive for problems when it thinks that there may be an issue. 

Edit: Once it completes, search for and download CrystalDiskInfo, screenshot the program and post it here. 

Edited by Saksham

something bad may have happened to your hard drive, worst case scenario it'll fail to fix itself and you wont be able to boot from it, but you may be able to access your data from a different machine and copy over important stuff. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

To translate what I think @Saksham is saying:

a folksy dumbed down explanation of what has already been said:

Spoiler

Gratz.  Some app, probably windows, thinks Your c drive has problems.  Fixing it will take nearly an hour, but lucky you it’s totally automatic. 

This is not something you want to stop from happening generally. Generally being 99.9% of the time.   0.1% chance it’s some sort of malware digging in.  Chances are so low and stopping the thing from happening so bad that it’s better to just let it do it’s thing and check stuff later.  It could also mean that there is something badly wrong with the drive, but windows thinks it can save stuff for now.  More reason to check things when it’s done. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

To translate what I think @Saksham is saying:

a folksy dumbed down explanation of what has already been said:

Hide contents

Gratz.  Some app, probably windows, thinks Your c drive has problems.  Fixing it will take nearly an hour, but lucky you it’s totally automatic. 

This is not something you want to stop from happening generally. Generally being 99.9% of the time.   0.1% chance it’s some sort of malware digging in.  Chances are so low and stopping the thing from happening so bad that it’s better to just let it do it’s thing and check stuff later.  It could also mean that there is something badly wrong with the drive, but windows thinks it can save stuff for now.  More reason to check things when it’s done. 

I don't download any games or anything I only have minecraft and a few games like team fortress 2 and gmod

1 minute ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

I don't download any games or anything I only have minecraft and a few games like team fortress 2 and gmod

So maybe less than 0.1%.   The drive could still be dying though.  That’s really a lot more likely. @Saksham seems to have his stuff in a box and has your back on this one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Saksham said:

just let it run. do not force shutdown. Windows will occasionally check your hard drive for problems when it thinks that there may be an issue. 

Edit: Once it completes, search for and download CrystalDiskInfo, screenshot the program and post it here. 

Here

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So maybe less than 0.1%.   The drive could still be dying though.  That’s really a lot more likely. @Saksham seems to have his stuff in a box and has your back on this one.

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

looks like your drive is dying.. back up your data RIGHT NOW. do it before it's too late. 

that hard drive seems pretty old. I would highly suggest replacing it with something newer and from a reputable company like seagate or WD. 500gb models are outdated and unreliable. Buy something atleast 1tb which you can get for like $45

Edited by Saksham

Your drive is dying indeed. Back up the files that matter ASAP.

More info on the SMART value Current Pending Sector count:

https://harddrivegeek.com/current-pending-sector-count/

Ryzen 5 3600 + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo | Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 | G.Skill Trident-Z (2x8) DDR4-2133 | MSI GTX 1060 Gaming-X 6 GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | SilverStone 650W 80+ Bronze non-modular | Intel SSD 535 (240 GB) SSD - Kingston UV400 (480 GB) SSD - Sandisk SSD Plus (1 TB) SSD - Western Digital Caviar Blue (1 TB) HDD

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, Saksham said:

looks like your drive is dying.. back up your data RIGHT NOW. do it before it's too late. 

that hard drive seems pretty old. I would highly suggest replacing it with something newer and from a reputable company like seagate or WD. 500gb models are outdated and unreliable. Buy something atleast 1tb which you can get for like $45

I have a laptop so how done get a different drive?

6 hours ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

I have a laptop so how done get a different drive?

Take out the old one and swap it.  Most laptops allow this.  A special screwdriver may be required.