A good, noise-cancelling headphone?

Go to solution Solved by VeganJoy,
41 minutes ago, Shadowdude said:

Thank you for the suggestions. 

So you wouldn't recommend the Sennheiser one? I guess I could save up a little more to get one of these, but I want to know if they'd make a huge difference in my case. 

i dont know much about the closed back senns but they should certainly be solid choices. my game headphones are a sennheiser game one for the integrated mic, and it sounds fine. my main headphones are the 6XX and they rock, couldnt recommend them more. open back though, but if you dont use your pc next to a construction site then theyre fine

I bought a pair of Hephaestus P1 a couple months back and it worked fine for a while, but it started to produce an excruciating white noise/static all of a sudden.

I tried everything and have been constantly trying to eradicate the noise, but to no avail. Apparently, the noise stems from the microphones, but I disabled them, uninstalled the drivers, and reduced the microphone noise array all the way to 0. I updated all the relevant drivers – sound devices, USB, Realtek, etc. I tried rolling back my windows, and checking it on other computers. Nothing seems to work. It could be tweaked with equalizer APO to some degree, but the noise is still there, and the little reduction in noise comes at the cost of overall audio quality.

I don't know what else to do; I was told USB headphones wouldn't have any noise, and it turned out to be a myth. This time, I'm aiming for a no-microphone headphone, because I don't use it anyway, and it could potentially help cancel the noise.

A friend of mine recommended Sennheiser HD 300. I don't want to pay any more, since I'm not doing anything in particular. No gaming. I just want a pair of noiseless, wired, and comfortable headphones for everyday use, mostly music, with semi-good audio quality, and again, absolutely no background noise. Would this be a good option? Any other alternatives in the same price range, or a little bit higher?

TL;DR: Need a pair of absolutely noiseless headphones. No microphone, no crazy bass. Wired (USB or 3.5 mm Jack), and preferably comfortable, big ear-pads. I want it mostly for everyday use: music, movies, podcasts, and etc.

Is Sennheiser HD 300 a good choice? Know of any alternatives in the same price range?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Any advice on the current headphones' issue would be appreciated as well, but I doubt it's even fixable to begin with.

I'm confused, do you want active noise cancelling headphones? In that case, the HD300 are a very bad choice, considering that they're not active noise cancelling headphones.

18 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

I'm confused, do you want active noise cancelling headphones? In that case, the HD300 are a very bad choice, considering that they're not active noise cancelling headphones.

Yes I do. 

Welp... as I said, someone recommended them to me.

But would they be noisy?

I don't understand why headphones would have noise in the first place, unless you're on an airplane, running, or sth...

ehh they dont really make wired active noise cancelling headphones, ANC is usually on wireless ones for the reasons you stated; on an airplane, exercising (not a good combination for safety reasons imo) and that sorta thing. what's your use case? like are you inside at your pc or something?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

ehh they dont really make wired active noise cancelling headphones, ANC is usually on wireless ones for the reasons you stated; on an airplane, exercising (not a good combination for safety reasons imo) and that sorta thing. what's your use case? like are you inside at your pc or something?

Yes. As I said, for everyday use behind my PC. Music, movies, and the like.

So, based on what you said, why would my current headphones have white noise in the background?

5 minutes ago, Shadowdude said:

Yes. As I said, for everyday use behind my PC. Music, movies, and the like.

So, based on what you said, why would my current headphones have white noise in the background?

no clue, never heard of gamdias except maybe for cheap hyper 212 copies? could just be crap 🤷‍♂️

if you don't need a mic, and want noise isolation aka passive noise cancellation, you'll wanna pick up something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Audio Technica M40x/M50x. very popular and widely used headphones, you can find a ton of reviews and feedback on em. if those dont float your boat look for other closed-back headphones. with the DT770 in particular you will likely need an external DAC/amp to supply enough power for the high impedance drivers. i'd get a Fiio E10k but i think they stopped making those, been a while since i researched audiophile gear. that kind of setup would run around 200-250 bucks and should last you many years. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I have been using a pair of these

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-ch700n

For the past six month, they DO have a in-built microphone, of which I disable in the sound settings, (have too because it causes issues on Discord)

The sound is decent for bluetooth, but the noise cancelling is silent and effective.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

6 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

no clue, never heard of gamdias except maybe for cheap hyper 212 copies? could just be crap 🤷‍♂️

if you don't need a mic, and want noise isolation aka passive noise cancellation, you'll wanna pick up something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Audio Technica M40x/M50x. very popular and widely used headphones, you can find a ton of reviews and feedback on em. if those dont float your boat look for other closed-back headphones. with the DT770 in particular you will likely need an external DAC/amp to supply enough power for the high impedance drivers. i'd get a Fiio E10k but i think they stopped making those, been a while since i researched audiophile gear. that kind of setup would run around 200-250 bucks and should last you many years. 

So you wouldn't recommend the Sennheiser one? I guess I could save up a little more to get one of these, but I want to know if they'd make a huge difference in my case. 

41 minutes ago, Shadowdude said:

i dont know much about the closed back senns but they should certainly be solid choices. my game headphones are a sennheiser game one for the integrated mic, and it sounds fine. my main headphones are the 6XX and they rock, couldnt recommend them more. open back though, but if you dont use your pc next to a construction site then theyre fine

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

Lmao.

Thank you so much for your detailed responses.

Definitely helped me.

1 minute ago, Shadowdude said:

Lmao.

Thank you so much for your detailed responses.

Definitely helped me.

np, definitely do your own research though. headfi and the audiophile subs on reddit were a lot of help for me when i was deciding on headphones also getting the 6XXs for $60 helped my decision lmao

topics i need help on:

Spoiler