GPU needed for a programming build

vadiba2045

Since it has been a couple of years that I have worked on a desktop I am currently working on a build for programming purposes. So you can expect that the PC would be used to run IDE's, docker containers, virtual machines and such.

At the moment I have chosen the following components:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (BOX) Boxed
  •  MSI B550-A PRO
  • Fractal Design Define 7
  • Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
  • Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B
  • Fractal Design ION+ 560W Platinum
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I am at the point of choosing a discrete GPU since the Ryzen 5 does not have integrated graphics. At this moment I have not chosen a GPU yet but I have been looking at different types of GPU's. The GPU's I have been looking at are:

• Asus STRIX GTX 950 DC2OC-2GD5-GAMING (Available second hand for 60 euros to me)
  • MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC, 80 euros new

• Asus GeForce GT 710 with 4 HDMI connections, 50 euros new

• ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 ROG STRIX GAMING, 185 euros new

As you can see I have chosen a range of GPU's with different specifications. The reason I did this is because I wanted to see what types of builds I can go with. The initial budget I have set for the GPU is 200 euros but since I do not or very, very rarely game I also went with some cheaper GPU's to simply output the display. At the moment I feel like I would be skimping on the rest of the build if I do not go for a decent one, thus the 1650. I would like also to be able to play different codecs of videos and maybe be able to do simple 3D modelling, but that will be done very rarely.

Both the 710 and 1030 would be chosen with only the output the display in mind with no graphical work being done, but I rather would be prepared to do some graphical work if it ever comes to my path, thus I have also chosen an second hand Strix 950 which is cheaper than the forth mentioned GPU's. I also would like to have the possibility to maybe in the future upgrade a monitor with a higher resolution (1440p, 4k).

On an unrelated GPU note I also want to check if the PSU would suffice the build. At the moment I would be able to increase the wattage from 560W to 860W with the same PSU model for merely 20 euros.

Well, in case it changes the math any, you want better than a 3600 for programming purposes. I'd get a 3700X, at least. Also, the D15 cooler is absolute overkill for a 3600. You don't even need that for a 3700X. Something like a U12S would be much more appropriate.

I'd throw more money at the CPU first, and then take the savings from the cooler and get the best GPU you can afford within your budget, only after that. You'd be generally fine with any of the choices here, but you might actually decide you want to game on the machine as well later, and it would be nice to have that option. Again, though, get the best CPU you can afford and then worry about the GPU.

PSU is fine. 860W would be way overkill, but at $20 euros extra, maybe? That would be the last piece I'd "upgrade" though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

11 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Well, in case it changes the math any, you want better than a 3600 for programming purposes. I'd get a 3700X, at least. Also, the D15 cooler is absolute overkill for a 3600. You don't even need that for a 3700X. Something like a U12S would be much more appropriate.

I might consider going for a 3700X but I am afraid that I would have to make some concessions in other components to be able to afford it into my budget. I went with a build where every component would be balanced out in terms of quality and cost.

The reason I did this is that I wanted to build a computer that is as quiet as possible since I will be putting the case on top of my desk and I will be sitting pretty close from it. Thus I would like to have a build that is as cool and quiet as possible. I also want to re use the CPU fan if I ever decide to upgrade the CPU.

If the CPU cooler is really that overkill I might consider an cheaper alternative and see if I would be able to afford a 3700X.

You don't really need to go for a 3700x depending on what you do. I go by with an old fx6300 just fine.

As I said in your other thread, the 1030 should be good enough, with the extra of being new with warranty (unlike the 950).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga