PC Randomly Shutting Down

Mr Sparkle
Go to solution Solved by Mr Sparkle,

I am still waiting for the Cooler Master replacement, so I went ahead and bought a new Corsair RM650 in the meantime. Connected it all up yesterday and haven't had a single issue with the PC since.

That seems fairly conclusive that the issue was with the PSU. Hopefully this helps someone else one day.

Hey,

I'll preface this with I was a Sys/Network Admin for years but haven't quite come across an issue like this, hence I'm reaching out.

I have a reasonably new custom build (4/5 months old - specs below) that has been running great until 2 days ago. Essentially it randomly powers off within 30 minutes of use (sometimes even while its booting up). There is no BSOD. There are no logs indicating any issue other than unexpected shutdown. It occurs if it's idle or if it's running a stress-test (CPU Temp ~70C). Other than it will definitely happen within 30 mins, I haven't found any consistent pattern.

What confuses me (but also causes me to wonder if it's a PSU issue) is that in order to power it back on, I need to remove the power plug for at least 60 seconds, hit the power button a few times, plug it back in - then it will power on. I have also tested multiple locations (work & home) in case it was dirty power or something.

I've managed to get Windows fully updated, latest MSI/AMD drivers, BIOS is fully updated and the issue still continues. 

Specs

• Windows 10 64bit (fully updated)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX Ryzen 16GB (2x8GB), PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4
  • MSI MPG X570-A Pro
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA SSD
  • MSI Radeon RS 5700 XT MECH OC, 8GB
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R

5 minutes ago, Mr Sparkle said:

Hey,

I'll preface this with I was a Sys/Network Admin for years but haven't quite come across an issue like this, hence I'm reaching out.

I have a reasonably new custom build (4/5 months old - specs below) that has been running great until 2 days ago. Essentially it randomly powers off within 30 minutes of use (sometimes even while its booting up). There is no BSOD. There are no logs indicating any issue other than unexpected shutdown. It occurs if it's idle or if it's running a stress-test (CPU Temp ~70C). Other than it will definitely happen within 30 mins, I haven't found any consistent pattern.

What confuses me (but also causes me to wonder if it's a PSU issue) is that in order to power it back on, I need to remove the power plug for at least 60 seconds, hit the power button a few times, plug it back in - then it will power on. I have also tested multiple locations (work & home) in case it was dirty power or something.

I've managed to get Windows fully updated, latest MSI/AMD drivers, BIOS is fully updated and the issue still continues. 

Specs

• AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX Ryzen 16GB (2x8GB), PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4
  • MSI MPG X570-A Pro
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA SSD
  • MSI Radeon RS 5700 XT MECH OC, 8GB
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R

Kinda a long shot, but have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it still shuts down on you? Perhaps there's some kind of abnormal service/program going rouge in the background.

13 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Kinda a long shot, but have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it still shuts down on you? Perhaps there's some kind of abnormal service/program going rouge in the background.

I haven't, but I'll test that now and see how it goes.

Update: Still shutdown soon after booting into Safe Mode.

Edited by Mr Sparkle

@Mr Sparkle

You literally have the exact same power supply as the dude in the thread below whose PC is also shutting down randomly. Just like I told him, I'd just replace that power supply with one that lists all of these protections below, because yours is missing one of them, OCP. I'm starting to see a pattern of dysfunction with these power supplies. There are more protections than these that a PSU can have, but a good one should have all of these at a minimum. 

OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP

Link: my pc turns off without a reason ... plz help !!

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

@Mr Sparkle

You literally have the exact same power supply as the dude in the thread below whose PC is also shutting down randomly. Just like I told him, I'd just replace that power supply with one that lists all of these protections below, because yours is missing one of them, OCP. I'm starting to see a pattern of dysfunction with these power supplies. There are more protections than these that a PSU can have, but a good one should have all of these at a minimum. 

OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP

Link: my pc turns off without a reason ... plz help !!

Thanks @BlackManINC. I did read that thread as well. If it appears to be a PSU issue then I'll have to go through the warranty process.

24 minutes ago, Mr Sparkle said:

Thanks @BlackManINC. I did read that thread as well. If it appears to be a PSU issue then I'll have to go through the warranty process.

This is assuming you aren't over clocking at all or using an XMP profile. It could be bad ram as well. I'm not sure if you ever tried stress testing it before. If not, then yeah I think its the power supply. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Okay. Update. I have a pending warranty request for the PSU that I'm still waiting to get processed. In the meantime I've noticed something else which throws some confusion into the mix... it appears that often (not always) the 'shutdown' occurs when I'm rebooting.

e.g. I noticed it when installing windows updates. It would do it's usual 30%...40%... then restart to come back and continue on, and just as it was restarting the computer would power off completely. That is the point I would need to unplug the power cable for a few minutes etc before I could turn it back on.

I am currently reformatting it just to make sure Windows isn't somehow causing the issue. However it has already powered off once during the re-install process.

So I managed to reload Windows, update it, install all latest drivers, run SSD check, run GPU & CPU stress test with no issues. I then was rebooting to run memtest86 and had the shutdown happen. I've got it up again and it's been running memtest for the past 30mins with no errors.

It does appear to be either Motherboard or PSU at this stage. Does anyone know any checks/tests I can run to help narrow it down?

48 minutes ago, Mr Sparkle said:

So I managed to reload Windows, update it, install all latest drivers, run SSD check, run GPU & CPU stress test with no issues. I then was rebooting to run memtest86 and had the shutdown happen. I've got it up again and it's been running memtest for the past 30mins with no errors.

It does appear to be either Motherboard or PSU at this stage. Does anyone know any checks/tests I can run to help narrow it down?

Did you try testing each ram stick on its own or all at once? If it is ram, testing them one at a time would narrow it down. Other than that, I still think its likely the power supply. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Did you try testing each ram stick on its own or all at once? If it is ram, testing them one at a time would narrow it down. Other than that, I still think its likely the power supply. 

Memtest came back with zero faults (4 passes), and the machine has been stable the whole time... 🤔

I'll boot it back into windows tonight and leave a stress test running to see if it holds up overnight.

Unfortunately the stress test only lasted about 1:15 hours last night before shutting down. I'm moving forward with the warranty replacement. Stay tuned if that resolves this issue or not...

• 3 weeks later...

I am still waiting for the Cooler Master replacement, so I went ahead and bought a new Corsair RM650 in the meantime. Connected it all up yesterday and haven't had a single issue with the PC since.

That seems fairly conclusive that the issue was with the PSU. Hopefully this helps someone else one day.