Should I remove an unused IDE connector off my board to make space for a case mod?

MubeenAhmed1920

Hi, I've been watching the LTT channel for a long time and it's great

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong topic, the thing is I have a motherboard which I've planned to put inside an original Xbox 360 and its going really great so far. I've cut holes and stuff for the IO and marked holes to screw the board into. Anyways towards the DVD drive of the case on the MB there's an unused IDE connector which I don't need, and I need the space to put a front audio and USB connector. If I desolder the unused IDE connector would it damage my motherboard?

I've inserted some photos of what it should be like, because I'm wanting to put the USB ports in a way that it looks nice with the Memory Unit A and B slots on the faceplate for the authentic 360 look. I inserted a photo to show you guys what it sould look like.

For the audio jacks I'm thinking about also desoldering and extending it with some wires? Is that a good idea? 

Anyways thanks for taking the time to read this 2 and a half year essay and I hope you guys are all good at home!

Over time I'll post updates on the case mod if you guys want.

Looking forward to your replies :)

Mubeen

15968488585788955338753636201757.jpg

15968488979313676542936260901074.jpg

15968492525163551342075484801460.jpg

Desoldering with a heatgun might be risky and it could damage the motherboard. However, you could also just cut it off, since the pins are visible. Just take some fine side cutters and be careful.

I'm not using a heatgun instead a regular soldering iron. But yeah I could cut it off. Thanks! :)

I can't think of a good way to do this from the top of my mind. Even attempting this has a high chance of killing the motherboard through damaging something in the process. I guess on paper if you can cleanly remove the plastic housing the the metal leads completely it should be the same as being unplugged. I would just make sure none of the pads from where the pins were are shorting into each other and completely remove the pins.

As for how I'd do it, I'd probably use a heat gun to melt the plastic and slowly and gently pry at it until it comes off the board. Then cut all the pins off the board and ensure what ever is left is not touching (maybe even cover the pads with electrical tape) Be very careful because the heat/prying could vary easily damage other components in the system and you may not even notice it until you are finished.

I definitely don't advise you do this on anything you actually want to keep or will be upset if it no longer works.

2 minutes ago, RozRocks said:

I can't think of a good way to do this from the top of my mind. Even attempting this has a high chance of killing the motherboard through damaging something in the process. I guess on paper if you can cleanly remove the plastic housing the the metal leads completely it should be the same as being unplugged. I would just make sure none of the pads from where the pins were are shorting into each other and completely remove the pins.

As for how I'd do it, I'd probably use a heat gun to melt the plastic and slowly and gently pry at it until it comes off the board. Then cut all the pins off the board and ensure what ever is left is not touching (maybe even cover the pads with electrical tape) Be very careful because the heat/prying could vary easily damage other components in the system and you may not even notice it until you are finished.

I definitely don't advise you do this on anything you actually want to keep or will be upset if it no longer works.

You would also melt and desolder other components with a heatgun. I've done something similar before and it doesn't turn out that well. To do it correctly, you have to be practised in hot air soldering.

If you mask everything really meticulously, you might also get away with dremeling it off. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Keep in mind that you've got a 10+ year old motherboard there.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Just cut it, and apply some hot glue to prevent contact.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w