Looking to pickup a bigger UPS

Blindsay

Hey All,

Right now I have the cyberpower cp1500pfclcd and it has done a reasonable enough job but after a recent power outage i have decided I want something more than the 25m it provides my desktop and networking equipment. I live in an apartment so a generator is not an option. 

Never really looked into bigger UPS options so I wanted to see if there was a better deal/route than I have seen. I went to APC's website because they have a handy calculator but i'm not opposed to Cyberpower again.

My goal is 250w for at least 4hrs. Must be expandable and I would like it to have an LCD screen but that isnt a dealbreaker. 

I like this unit with the tower or rack mount orientation and the LCD screen but the expansion batteries for it are more expensive- https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-X-750VA-Rack-Tower-LCD-120V-Not-for-sale-in-Vermont-/P-SMX750

This one is more $ up front but the expandable batteries are cheaper and no LCD screen - https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-XL-1000VA-USB-Serial-120V-Not-for-sale-in-Vermont-/P-SUA1000XL

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

I live in an apartment so a generator is not an option.

Maybe an electric inverter would be a better alternative, most UPS units aren't really designed to let you use the connected devices on battery power for long, only to save your work and shutdown safely. Look at the expected runtimes at certain wattage loads, the larger units won't necessarily give you better runtime on one or more of lower power consumption devices. For example equipment such as your modem and router would be better paired with a small network UPS may be a better solution (around 500VA for most home networks) than connecting to a larger UPS that isn't rated to deliver the lower amounts of power over a long amount of time.

Basically, a larger UPS doesn't necessarily mean better runtime for your devices, this is one of the many reasons that I wouldn't suggest buying an extremely overkill UPS system, look for one that gives you the runtime you want at the wattage load of your devices that are going to be hooked up to battery + surge protection.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Maybe an electric inverter would be a better alternative, most UPS units aren't really designed to let you use the connected devices on battery power for long, only to save your work and shutdown safely. Look at the expected runtimes at certain wattage loads, the larger units won't necessarily give you better runtime on one or more of lower power consumption devices. For example equipment such as your modem and router would be better paired with a small network UPS may be a better solution (around 500VA for most home networks) than connecting to a larger UPS that isn't rated to deliver the lower amounts of power over a long amount of time.

Basically, a larger UPS doesn't necessarily mean better runtime for your devices, this is one of the many reasons that I wouldn't suggest buying an extremely overkill UPS system, look for one that gives you the runtime you want at the wattage load of your devices that are going to be hooked up to battery + surge protection.

Attached an example, it is definitely possible to get crazy long run times

UPSRuntime.PNG

33 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

My goal is 250w for at least 4hrs. Must be expandable and I would like it to have an LCD screen but that isnt a dealbreaker. 

I like this unit with the tower or rack mount orientation and the LCD screen but the expansion batteries for it are more expensive- https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-X-750VA-Rack-Tower-LCD-120V-Not-for-sale-in-Vermont-/P-SMX750

Look into 

https://www.cdw.com/product/Eaton-5P-1500-Rackmount-Compact-UPS-1100-Watt-1440-VA-lead-acid/4489163?cm_cat=google&cm_ite=4489163&cm_pla=NA-NA-Eaton Corporation_BA&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIlaGM2ryH6wIV0cDACh3cigvaEAYYASABEgLVpvD_BwE:G:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlaGM2ryH6wIV0cDACh3cigvaEAYYASABEgLVpvD_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!198550759593!!!g!338529335881!

https://www.cdw.com/product/Eaton5PX48VExternalBatteryModuleRack-Tower-batteryenclosure-lead/2350762?RecommendedForEDC=4489163&RecoType=RP&cm_sp=Product-_-Session&ProgramIdentifier=3

Depending on what model you go with, eaton has some that can link four or five battery packs together.

they are not cheap.

1 hour ago, sgteaglefort said:

Their MSRP prices are definitely high but when i looked on amazon they were a lot less

I created this chart with Cyber power, 2x APC, and then the last group is Eaton

The APC SUA1000XL with battery packs seems to be the value champ (unless someone knows a better deal) but it seems to be an old model and not many retailers still had it and it lacks any LCD display (I like being able to see the actual power details without relying on the PC software)

runtimechart.PNG

24 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Their MSRP prices are definitely high but when i looked on amazon they were a lot less

I created this chart with Cyber power, 2x APC, and then the last group is Eaton

The APC SUA1000XL with battery packs seems to be the value champ (unless someone knows a better deal) but it seems to be an old model and not many retailers still had it and it lacks any LCD display (I like being able to see the actual power details without relying on the PC software)

runtimechart.PNG

Found another Cyberpower, trying to figure out any notable differences but the pricing looks nice haha

cyberpower.PNG