Freesync stopped working for most games - 2080 Super

Norki

Hello, I am having issues with Freesync, hoping that someone here can help me.

I have a Freesync monitor, the Samsung C32HG70, and a RTX2080 Super GPU. The monitor is "unofficially" gsync compatible (see here: https://www.esportstales.com/tech-tips/list-of-nvidia-gsync-compatible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community#samsung) and Freesync has always worked since I bought it.

Today I'm back from vacation after 3 weeks, boot up a game and notice that Freesync stopped working for most games. In fact, of all the games I tried, it only works with DOOM. With Forza Horizon 4, it works during the intro and start menu, and it stops working once ingame. This makes no sense to me, especially because it had always been working perfectly.

I tried several things, replugged monitor, factory reset its settings, updated drivers, even updated the monitor firmware with the latest available, with no success - the monitor info panel keeps showing 144hz while before it was dynamically changing (when Freesync was working). One thing I haven't tried yet is a rollback of geforce drivers.

Any ideas?

Make sure all NVIDIA control panel settings are correct. For G-Sync to work you need to do the following in "3D App settings":

Monitor Technology = G-Sync Compatible

Vertical Sync = On

And always DISABLE V-Sync in the ingame settings. These things apply to all games.

Also make sure you check the box in the G-Sync settings in the control panels that says something like "apply settings to this panel".

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Attaching screens of my Nvidia Control Panel Settings

image.png.cbc5b999d20c1f7ed9fc4abf12198ad3.png

image.png.db81bd5babeb24688954adcb488f355b.png

image.png.f0078071eb2681bbcbaae3ef1359f504.png

3 minutes ago, Norki said:

Attaching screens of my Nvidia Control Panel Settings

image.png.cbc5b999d20c1f7ed9fc4abf12198ad3.png

image.png.db81bd5babeb24688954adcb488f355b.png

image.png.f0078071eb2681bbcbaae3ef1359f504.png

Set the option in the G-Sync settings to "Enable for windowed and full screen mode". Is it working now? Did you reset your monitor settings? Many monitors have a FreeSync or G-Sync setting that has to be enabled in the OSD.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I tried with "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" as well, no luck. Freesync setting is enable in the monitor OSD.

It works with DOOM, so it's surely not disabled, and it also means that it's not a hardware problem, right?

Update: it's a driver issue. 

I first tried rolling back to 445.87 nvidia drivers from May, no success. Then I tried 441.41 from January and boom, everything works and games are buttery smooth again.

I guess I'm keeping these outdated drivers until I am sure the new ones will fix the issue they've introduced.