RAM speed not matching (XMP not working)

iBot
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

When swapping Ram you should Clear CMOS.

If enabling XMP does not allow it to boot you have one of three issues. Either the Motherboard ram slots arent fully functional. The memory controller on your 7600k sucks and you got unlucky, or GSkill is being Gskill and sold you a kit of ram Listed at a speed it cannot physically do. Try enabling XMP and Manually set the speed to 3000

Hi all,

I recently swapped my Corsair LPX 2x8GB 2666mhz to TridentZ RGB 3200mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR). However, after I swapped the ram, the computer went into an infinite repair loop; so I reformatted my computer. Now my TridentZ runs at 2133mhz - 2666mhz and nothing above that, and definitely not 3200mhz.

What I've done:
I enabled XMP, changed voltage to 1.35 (or default) and nothing works. It boots into the screen where it says Press F1 to run set up, F2 to continue etc.
Changed DIMM slots
Updated BIOS to the latest update from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO#down-bios

I'm not sure what else I can possibly do. I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to computer stuff as I'm no expert, and especially tweaking in BIOS.

My specs are
MSI Z270-A Pro
I5-7600k
Asus 1070TI
970EVO SSD
TridentZ 16GB

Let me know if anyone can help me solve this issue?

Thanks,

If enabling XMP does not allow it to boot you have one of three issues. Either the Motherboard ram slots arent fully functional. The memory controller on your 7600k sucks and you got unlucky, or GSkill is being Gskill and sold you a kit of ram Listed at a speed it cannot physically do. Try enabling XMP and Manually set the speed to 3000

40 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yeah I learned that mistake the hard way, as I'm no expert.  So if you don't clear CMOS you can corrupt your windows?  

Anyways, I tried what you suggested of manually setting the speed, and was only able to get to 3000mhz, not 3066 or 3100.  Is this a known thing with G.Skillz?  I don't know too much on ram.

Thanks for the help though!

37 minutes ago, iBot said:

Yeah I learned that mistake the hard way, as I'm no expert.  So if you don't clear CMOS you can corrupt your windows?  

Anyways, I tried what you suggested of manually setting the speed, and was only able to get to 3000mhz, not 3066 or 3100.  Is this a known thing with G.Skillz?  I don't know too much on ram.

Thanks for the help though!

It can Seriously mess up the bootloader for windows when it keeps failing to boot because of the ram. Usually a Diagfix using a windows USB can fix it, but it can corrupt the bootloader.

Yes this is a known issue with Gskill ram as well as a few others. I would love to see something done, but alas these companies dont really care if they are false advertising speeds as they will just blame it on "overclocking is not guranteed" and anything beyond 2666 is a overclock. Even though they clearly state what speeds are on the kits that they SHOULD be able to do.

Again it could also be your Memory controller on the CPU, but unless you want to spend 600$ on a bunch of different kits to see, you may as well just stick to the 3000 mhz :D 

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

It can Seriously mess up the bootloader for windows when it keeps failing to boot because of the ram. Usually a Diagfix using a windows USB can fix it, but it can corrupt the bootloader.

Yes this is a known issue with Gskill ram as well as a few others. I would love to see something done, but alas these companies dont really care if they are false advertising speeds as they will just blame it on "overclocking is not guranteed" and anything beyond 2666 is a overclock. Even though they clearly state what speeds are on the kits that they SHOULD be able to do.

Again it could also be your Memory controller on the CPU, but unless you want to spend 600$ on a bunch of different kits to see, you may as well just stick to the 3000 mhz :D 

Fair enough, I'll take the 3000mhz then!  Thanks for all the knowledge!