Phanteks P400S Air Cooling (Case and CPU) Positions & Orientation

Phanteks P400S Air Cooling (Case and CPU) Positions & Orientation

Hello all just an amateur who wanted to ask what would be the best case fan positions / orientation for this case PHANTEKS P400S ( Tempered Glass )? I currently have it set up like the picture below as a visual reference like another post I saw ( https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1065371-best-fan-layout-for-pc/).  I was thinking about flipping the fan on the top right so it would be taking air into the case rather than acting as another exhaust, I want to make sure this would be the correct move before I do it. Also, what are some good cooling practices and tips people should use?

Case Fan Airflow

FanDiagram.jpg.475eb9a68bc5a5cba3518106ccac1558.jpg

Black Circle: AMD Stock CPU cooler (AM4 socket)(Please Let me know if there is a specific air cooler I should be looking into that hopefully won't break the bank like the others I've seen.)

Red Rectangle: Graphics Card and air flow.

White: Case fans, (came with case or bought aftermarket).

Arrows: Direction air is moving.

Other Case Images:

P400s-11.jpg.c1f1a3539fc9dede0ce140e79677d067.jpgP400s-6.jpg.b16ad8de7ce53839baccd9c6ac687898.jpgP400s-9.jpg.883fa0192d6102c82b627471d2b9b8a6.jpg

I am not an expert by any means, but I do have some thoughts on this.

I personally don't like that the front fan is in the middle of the front panel. Especially since it is solid.

I would move that fan down to draw in air from the vent at that panel and let it supply fresher air to the GPU and a small amount to the PSU (actually that is probably negligible due to the cables in the way.)

The fan on top should be turned around to supply fresh air into the top of the case for the CPU. it's up to you if you want to move it directly on top of the CPU and the VRM. (It may lower VRM temps, but not sure about the CPU lowering in temps.

Most people prefer having positive pressure in their case setup.

If you can swing it, get another fan. (Do you have the ability to get another one? Old Case, thrift store? Electronic recycling place that doesn't want them?)

I would preferably have the same number of fans for an equilibrium of air pressure. But I have been in an engineering job for 28 years or so.

I just prefer efficient and longectivity.(I think I speeled that right ;))

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

I agree with @LogicalDrm.

2x front intake( both low but not below the psu shroud/cover

1x exhaust ( rear) 

If you decide to add fans

3x front intake( 120mm)

2x exhaust ( rear, top rear)

I wouldn't even bother with adding a top front fan it may actually hurt performance and I would only use if you start getting into water cooling.

Would adding more fans be worth it?

Only to a small degree. 

6 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I agree with @LogicalDrm.

2x front intake( both low but not below the psu shroud/cover

1x exhaust ( rear) 

If you decide to add fans

3x front intake( 120mm)

2x exhaust ( rear, top rear)

I wouldn't even bother with adding a top front fan it may actually hurt performance and I would only use if you start getting into water cooling.

Would adding more fans be worth it?

Only to a small degree. 

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Have basic two front in, 1 rear out rather than current.

Thanks! Ill probably have 2 exhaust fans at the rear and the 3 front intakes! I just have to figure out how power the extra fans as I don't think the connect has anymore room for that. Any idea what I could do about that?

Also, Should I replace the stock cooler with a Hyper 212 Black RGB?

2 hours ago, Alerys Solaren said:

Thanks! Ill probably have 2 exhaust fans at the rear and the 3 front intakes! I just have to figure out how power the extra fans as I don't think the connect has anymore room for that. Any idea what I could do about that?

Also, Should I replace the stock cooler with a Hyper 212 Black RGB?

If motherboard doesn't have enough headers, you can use splitters.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

What motherboardl, cpu, and ram do you have?

Aorus Pro Wifi B450.R5 3600, Corsair DDR4 16GB (2x8).

People will say the stock cooler is fine don't worry about it. for the most part its true, but i think an after market cooler is worth it.

FYI

I don't know your budget, so the cpu cooler would be the first id get before fans as it will have the largest impact.

5 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

People will say the stock cooler is fine don't worry about it. for the most part its true, but i think an after market cooler is worth it.

FYI

I don't know your budget, so the cpu cooler would be the first id get before fans as it will have the largest impact.

I was thinking about getting a Hyper 212 EVO or a Hyper 212 Black RGB since it definitely feels like my stock cooler isnt doing much as my CPU temp is pretty damn high for just browsing.

Those cooler are fine and are highly recommend. I'll personally dislike the RGB one. I'd stick to the hyper 121 Evo black non rgb

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If motherboard doesn't have enough headers, you can use splitters.

That is what I would use. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119893?Item=N82E16812119893&Description=case fan splitter&cm_re=case_fan splitter-_-12-119-893-_-Product&quicklink=true

Or something to that effect. 

I know I did buy extenders so I could get the case fan cables BEHIND my MB tray for routing in my current FULL damn tower of a case. (Way cool for years [1998 to 2012], but now I want something smaller that I can have on my desk.)

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

5 hours ago, Alerys Solaren said:

Aorus Pro Wifi B450.R5 3600, Corsair DDR4 16GB (2x8).

Why are you getting ATX case and ITX mobo? Just because of Wifi? If so, better to get mATX or ATX mobo and wifi adapter. Or just smaller case. You don't gain anything with small mobo and big case.

4 hours ago, Alerys Solaren said:

I was thinking about getting a Hyper 212 EVO or a Hyper 212 Black RGB since it definitely feels like my stock cooler isnt doing much as my CPU temp is pretty damn high for just browsing.

BE RGB has better fan. Otherwise they are same as heatsink is same on both. EVO is low value, and there are better coolers in that price point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv