Laptop recommendations for possible distance learning in the fall

So, my kid is starting school in September.  I'm considering grabbing her a cheap laptop but I'm just not sure exactly what I should be looking at.  I saw Linus' video the other day about the Walmart laptops and well, I'm not entirely convinced those could handle Zoom or whatever schools will use if they are doing distance learning.

If I was making my kid a PC, I'd be good to go but alas my laptop knowledge is rather lacking currently.

This laptop is not expected to be used for gaming, just school.  Maybe even a Chromebook would be acceptable?  I'm really not sure.

Chromebook would be perfect. If it's anything like my school district (hell, all of Ontario from what I've heard) is that everything will be done in gsuite - Google Docs/Slides/Sheets/Classroom/Meet.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

what budget? laptops are pretty cheap now.

there's a decent Athlon 3000u or 3050u good chip for the price.

just don't get any celerons / pentium.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

If you are looking for a laptop that would actually be usable in anything in the future (not just buying it to throw away in 1 year) you could consider this:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-500-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

I'm considering buying it myself for that exact reason, but I also want to be able to use it in the future without problems.

If ChromeOS ends up not fulfilling OP's requirements they can always just flash GalliumOS on it and get a few more years of life out of the machine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm not totally sure on what the budget I want to set yet, really am looking at this from square one.  I can confidently say the cheapest I can reasonably get away with is what I'd like to pay since my daughter is just going into Kindergarten.

Looking at the replies though, it does seem a Chromebook may be my best choice.

edit:

Also, fantastic community.  Slightly shocked at just how quickly you all were to jump in and start helping.

if its for school chromebooks dont really work that well i had before and they dont last as longs as anything else especially Also third  party software wich is really limited to what Chrome Os Allows u to have and also chromebooks dont have the same functions and specs as a windows computer  i would honestly recomend something with windows but chromebook specially chrome os i dont recomend it in any way shape or form 

5 minutes ago, Enclave996 said:

I'm not totally sure on what the budget I want to set yet, really am looking at this from square one.  I can confidently say the cheapest I can reasonably get away with is what I'd like to pay since my daughter is just going into Kindergarten.

Looking at the replies though, it does seem a Chromebook may be my best choice.

Yeah. To give you an idea, a chromeOS is like Android but made for laptops, and you also have access to the Play Store, meaning that you can install most apps you'd usually find on your phone, including Office which is free, and because it's lightweight it runs well on weaker hardware.

Lenovo Ideapad with Athlon 3000u.

More versatile then a chromebook, once she's older, you can do some upgrades.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, Lesantir_12 said:

if its for school chromebooks dont really work that well i had before and they dont last as longs as anything else especially Also third  party software wich is really limited to what Chrome Os Allows u to have and also chromebooks dont have the same functions and specs as a windows computer  i would honestly recomend something with windows but chromebook specially chrome os i dont recomend it in any way shape or form 

There is plenty of third party support, you have access to the playstore where you can find a load of ads, with a similar library to what you'd find on and Android phone. A chromebook does have the same functions and specs of a Windows computer, there laptops with Chrome os with the exact same specs as laptops with chromeOS. Chromebooks do last long if you take care of them, not to mention that the batttery life is much better compared to Windows.

For my schoolwork, I often need to use Word, so a Chromebook wouldn't be convenient for that.

Do you really need a laptop? If it's just to be used at home, maybe you could just grab an old system you already have lying around, as that will most likely be much faster.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

18 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

For my schoolwork, I often need to use Word, so a Chromebook wouldn't be convenient for that.

Do you really need a laptop? If it's just to be used at home, maybe you could just grab an old system you already have lying around, as that will most likely be much faster.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't let me keep my old components around once I finish a new build otherwise that's exactly what I'd have done :P

the only thing im going to say is dont aim to a chromebook they are not reliable in any way and its really not designed for that the use youre going to give it and dont try to compare in any way shape or form a windows pc and a chromebook they are completely diferent things and a chromebook because its cheap doesnt mean is a good "Pc" I Would Aim hp,dell,lenovo  if u want something a bit better than that i would go with microsoft surface lineup as i writing this im using my surface go it handles even pro streaming like a champ even do thats not your use case and its pretty afordable compared to other stuff this is my end line