I am currently using OCCT for my stress-testing to make sure my OC is stable, and I noticed that there is an Auto, No AVX, AVX, or AVX2 option. Which one(s) of these do I use to test? Do I do a combination of all of them? I didn’t think about this before so I’m writing to you about 2/6 hours into an AVX2 test? Should I do No AVX and AVX for the next 4 hours with two hours each (I only really have 6 hours, and now that’s about 4).

Thanks!

If you've got an AVX offset set for your CPU, run both AVX2 and non-AVX. Otherwise just run AVX2.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

If you've got an AVX offset set for your CPU, run both AVX2 and non-AVX.

How would I know if I did?

You only need to test with AVX if you know if any programs use those instructions on your cpu. you can find put by looking it up. as fas as im aware, no games use AVX and only highly intensive apps use AVX sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

How would I know if I did?

Either check the setting in the BIOS or just run an AVX and then a non-AVX load on the CPU, and see if the frequency changes.

That being said, I'm not sure whether AVX offset actually even is a thing on Ryzen, now that I think about it, since those CPUs clock quite differently compared to Intel.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

You only need to test with AVX if you know if any programs use those instructions on your cpu. you can find put by looking it up. as fas as im aware, no games use AVX and only highly intensive apps use AVX sometimes. 

As far as I'm aware, AVX is actually present in a lot of DX12 titles. BF5 definitely does use AVX, for example.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Either check the setting in the BIOS or just run an AVX and then a non-AVX load on the CPU, and see if the frequency changes.

That being said, I'm not sure whether AVX offset actually even is a thing on Ryzen, now that I think about it, since those CPUs clock quite differently compared to Intel.

So do you think I should run two hours of all 3 to be safe?

Just now, IAmAFrenchFry said:

So do you think I should run two hours of all 3 to be safe?

If you're on stock speeds or just PBO, that's really too excessive imo. 

I actually don't really use OCCT, so I'm not sure how much current it draws and how it is for stability testing, I mostly use Linpack and Prime95 myself, though even for a manual overclock I'd imagine a couple of hours will be more than enough.