xbox controller usb port

TheBean

for my xbox one s controller, it has a micro-usb port. is it possible to replace it with a usbc port? I was watching a DIY Perks video on replacing ports to usbc and I wanted to know if that would work on a controller. Also, If I did do that, would it be set up in host mode or sub-device mode?

Edit: My model for the controller is TF5-00001 (its the wireless one that came with the xbox one s as far as im aware)

Probably possible but wouldn't risk my controller

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Go buy some second hand controllers and do testing, I wouldn't risk something like that with my main controller, if it can be done there will be a youtube video on it somewhere.

1 minute ago, Tomthehitman said:

Why would you want to change it to type c, what advantage is there?

seriously? why wouldn't you? usb-c is better than micro usb in every way. I want to get rid of all my microusb cables and replace them with usb-c ones. I have having to hunt microusb cables for the one thing I occasionally need it for.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

seriously? why wouldn't you? usb-c is better than micro usb in every way. I want to get rid of all my microusb cables and replace them with usb-c ones. I have having to hunt microusb cables for the one thing I occasionally need it for.

Seems like a lot of effort just so you don't have to use two different types of cables. Other than that you won't notice any difference on an Xbox controller, it won't make you a better gamer..... but hey each to their own I guess. 

Just now, Tomthehitman said:

Seems like a lot of effort just so you don't have to use two different types of cables. Other than that you won't notice any difference on an Xbox controller, it won't make you a better gamer..... but hey each to their own I guess. 

Yea.....I know. the whole point of usb-c was to replace all the cables. 

Just live with it for a few more months. I believe the new Xbox Series X controllers will be USB-C (Like the Elite v2) and they will still work with the Xbox One.

23 minutes ago, Warin said:

Just live with it for a few more months. I believe the new Xbox Series X controllers will be USB-C (Like the Elite v2) and they will still work with the Xbox One.

thats not the point. The point is to help myself (and potentially others) to do it now without buying a new controller when my one works perfectly fine now. 

What would you do... Spend $10 to get usb-c now, or wait 4 months to spend $50-60 and create e-Waste?

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

What would you do... Spend $10 to get usb-c now, or wait 4 months to spend $50-60 and create e-Waste?

Neither, I'd just use the controller as intended with the intended cable. Therefore saving me $10. Is this a thing that people don't like using multiple cables? Is it really that big of a deal to just keep a microusb handy for the controller? Do you plan on trying to change the charging port for anything that doesn't use type c going forward?

Unless you are really good at soldering, chances are you are going to bork the controller anyways. Also, you could likely trade in your micro usb equipped controller for a credit towards the new controller, or even sell it privately.

12 hours ago, Saksham said:

thats not the point. The point is to help myself (and potentially others) to do it now without buying a new controller when my one works perfectly fine now. 

Do nothing, Save $10.

Even if I had to choose between the two options and USB cable clutter was that important to me, I’d still take the latter option where I could resell the current controller to someone, use the proceeds to help fund the purchase of a NEW controller, and be using a NEW controller.

This Also avoids the e-waste created if I Bork the controller attempting the upgrade.

13 hours ago, Saksham said:

seriously? why wouldn't you? usb-c is better than micro usb in every way.

Waste of time/money/effort and even possibly controller just to avoid having another type of cable for a device that see zero additional benefits for type C.

Either way you seem pretty set on doing this, let us all know how it turns out for you.