Ryzen 9 3900x OpenGL Issue?

Hello,

I recently upgraded from an old i7-4790k to a Ryzen 9 3900x. Ever since the upgrade, I've been experiencing a very strange issue with OpenGL.

Basically, if a game is launched that uses OpenGL on any monitor besides my primary, the game will crash. This issue wasn't present with my old CPU, and games using DirectX 11, 12, and Vulkan run completely fine. The only components that were swapped out during the upgrade were my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Everything else was reused from my i7-4790k build.

Do Ryzen CPUs usually have issues running OpenGL games? Does anyone else have a 3900x and would be willing to see if they can replicate this issue? I'm curious if it's a problem with Ryzen in general, or if it's an issue that's unique to my system.

Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
  • Asus ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070
  • Windows 10 Pro x64

Any help would be very much appreciated! Been getting super frustrated with this issue...

3 minutes ago, Jakstalgia said:

Does anyone else have a 3900x and would be willing to see if they can replicate this issue? I'm curious if it's a problem with Ryzen in general, or if it's an issue that's unique to my system.

i have an intel i5 6600 paired with rx460, same issue would occur with openGL games (osu!)

give me 5 minute i'll test on my 3900x rig

just a dumb question (coz u dont have igpu anyways)

both monitor plugged into the 1070 right?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

tested, no problem

plugged in my monitor using type C to my 2070 super

main monitor is plugged in my 970

dragged openGL game between them in windowed mode, no issue

system: 3900x, gtx 970, rtx 2070 super

19 minutes ago, Jakstalgia said:

Hello,

I recently upgraded from an old i7-4790k to a Ryzen 9 3900x. Ever since the upgrade, I've been experiencing a very strange issue with OpenGL.

Basically, if a game is launched that uses OpenGL on any monitor besides my primary, the game will crash. This issue wasn't present with my old CPU, and games using DirectX 11, 12, and Vulkan run completely fine. The only components that were swapped out during the upgrade were my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Everything else was reused from my i7-4790k build.

Do Ryzen CPUs usually have issues running OpenGL games? Does anyone else have a 3900x and would be willing to see if they can replicate this issue? I'm curious if it's a problem with Ryzen in general, or if it's an issue that's unique to my system.

Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
  • Asus ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070
  • Windows 10 Pro x64

Any help would be very much appreciated! Been getting super frustrated with this issue...

Did you reinstall th OS when changing platforms? If not, do that. 

On 7/26/2020 at 2:35 AM, Moonzy said:

i have an intel i5 6600 paired with rx460, same issue would occur with openGL games (osu!)

just a dumb question (coz u dont have igpu anyways)

both monitor plugged into the 1070 right?

Interesting...Since you're having the same issue on an Intel based system, I wonder if it's a Windows issue?

I'm tempted to try a fresh install of Windows 10 to see if that solves the issue, but that'd be a huge pain for me right now...

Also, yes I have 3 monitors all plugged into the 1070.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:51 AM, 5x5 said:

Did you reinstall th OS when changing platforms? If not, do that. 

Yes, when I swapped platforms I did a fresh install of Windows.

2 minutes ago, Jakstalgia said:

Interesting...Since you're having the same issue on an Intel based system, I wonder if it's a Windows issue?

I'm tempted to try a fresh install of Windows 10 to see if that solves the issue, but that'd be a huge pain for me right now...

i just tested again yesterday, the game worked fine on both screens in my intel based system now

probably some software issue tbh

Fixed it!

Apparently a service called "Nahimic service" was causing the crashing. Doing a quick Google search, it appears to be an audio service that comes with some of ASUS's motherboards. Disabling it doesn't appear to have any negative side effects.

Hope this helps someone else who might be having this same issue.

(Also thank you to everyone who replied, and tested stuff on their own systems!)