Is my memory incompatible with my other hardware?

ftahir192

I've been intermittently having issues where my PC would randomly shut down, and when switching it back on everything will power up (including RAM's leds) but the motherboard debug LED would either be stuck at the RAM led or the CPU led. My motherboard speaker would make the usual 1 short beep so nothing out the blue there.

My specs are:

Mobo: Asus RoG Strix X570-F

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600MHz C16

GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 2070 Super

Cooler: stock AMD Wraith Prism

PSU: Corsair RM750X

The RAM isn't listed in the QVL for my mobo, but reviews online suggested others with Asus motherboards had no issues. I'm not sure what the cause of this is but the fix is to normally take out my RAM and insert it back in. This works most of the time but not always.

For what it's worth, my CPU or RAM are not overclocked, I'm not running XMP profile, instead I've set the values manually. I've also ran Memtest86 for 8 passes and it showed no issues.

did u try reseating the cpu?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

did u try reseating the cpu?

I haven't because I thought if that were the issue it would happen way more often and it only happens maybe once a week. The wraith prism is also a pain to take off/re-mount

FWIW I think it started after updating my bios to 2207 now that I think about it but not 100% sure about that. 

I wonder if this could be because it's something as simple as my RAM not being latched properly hence why it normally always works when taking it out/putting it back in

1 minute ago, ftahir192 said:

I think it started after updating my bios to 2207 now that I think about it but not 100% sure about that

no idea about this too

but is the cpu/ram stable in stress test? did u enable XMP/DOCP?

Just now, Moonzy said:

no idea about this too

but is the cpu/ram stable in stress test? did u enable XMP/DOCP?

CPU/RAM seems to be stable when running aida-64 stress test. Not enabled XMP but instead set the XMP values manually as I've read somewhere that this is recommended instead

Just now, ftahir192 said:

Not enabled XMP but instead set the XMP values manually as I've read somewhere that this is recommended instead

did u set it after updating bios?

5 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

I wonder if this could be because it's something as simple as my RAM not being latched properly hence why it normally always works when taking it out/putting it back in

could be, or it's unstable

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

did u set it after updating bios?

could be, or it's unstable

I've had it set that way since building this PC. I did have a set of G.Skill's which I returned in favour for this set (cheaper and faster - 3200 vs 3600).

I actually just double checked the QVL list and the memory I have is listed (slightly different serial, but same brand, speed, die-type, timings, voltage) so it's not a compatibility issue. I wonder if it's worthwhile me trying to downgrade to a previous BIOS if it happens again. I've also confirmed the RAM is properly latched and all other PSU cables are also clipped in tightly as I'm curious if its a power issue or something shorting

1 minute ago, ftahir192 said:

I've had it set that way since building this PC

sometimes updating bios clears it

is the timing you set different from DOCP or the same? try DOCP if it's the same

2 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

as I'm curious if its a power issue or something shorting

if something shorted, you'll know

though idk if it's a PSU issue since it's intermittent and debug LED is consistently at CPU or RAM

which makes me suspect a bad connection with the CPU

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

sometimes updating bios clears it

is the timing you set different from DOCP or the same? try DOCP if it's the same

if something shorted, you'll know

though idk if it's a PSU issue since it's intermittent and debug LED is consistently at CPU or RAM

which makes me suspect a bad connection with the CPU

The timing I set is the same as DOCP.

Okay fair enough - I don't think I've ever had anything short so not sure what it looks like (I guess it wouldn't turn on at all).

I don't think it's a PSU issue either. I just got the rm750x today and this also happened on my evga g3.

Possibly a bad connection with the CPU but I'm also thinking it might be my GPU now... I touched one of the 8 pin connections and voila the PC shut down with the same issue. I think it's possibly a bad extension (as mentioned I changed PSU's so also changed the GPU cable but I have extensions which remain the same). Curious why this would cause the RAM or CPU debug to go on until it's pushed in properly though.. 

I've taken that extension out, got some canned air to make sure there's no dust and now made sure it's secure. Wiggling it doesn't shut the PC down now, so not sure if it's causation or correlation here..

1 hour ago, ftahir192 said:

I've taken that extension out, got some canned air to make sure there's no dust and now made sure it's secure. Wiggling it doesn't shut the PC down now, so not sure if it's causation or correlation here..

no idea, but PC can be wonky at times

monitor to see if the issue persist