So a friend of mine decided to buy parts (against my suggestions) and asked me to assemble the PC for him. Now, this would only be my third time actually building a PC.

1st fail: No P.O.S.T. but progress was made after re-seating CPU.

2nd try: RGB stuff went on finally, but still no POST. Checked all the connections, made sure nothing was wrongfully done/attached in the wrong place then turned everything off.

3rd try: Turned on PSU and upon pressing the power button on the pc case, there was a strange sound ( can't remember what ) but then smoke suddenly came out of the GPU and of course, no POST. Immediately turned everything off and called a technician.

Technician said that I shouldn't have plugged both of the 4+4 PIN. I should've only plugged the ONE 4pin because the other 4pin was for "extreme overclocking." Now, the technician has declared the MOBO dead and the GPU "might be fixable." These are his words, not mine.

Nothing against the technician but the explanation doesn't sound correct, or at least, complete to me. I thought that if it was an 8+4 pin, then you shouldn't plug in the extra 4 pin if you are not planing on OCing. Can someone enlighten me as to what could've happened? I could've been the one at fault. Parts list below

R5 2600

MSI GTX 1650 (2nd hand but still relatively new)

MSI B450 MOBO

16GB 3200mhz RAM

700w (unknown brand, not 80+ bronze certified) PSU 

1TB WD BLUE

250GB SSD (forgot the brand because it probably wasn't anything common)

3 minutes ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

well, psu just exploded

I agree with boggy77. you got a cheaped out on the PSU and you got what you paid for. 

I agree with both of you, which is what I also told my friend. But the technician insisted that the PSU was "sorta fine" and wasn't the cause of everything. He was adamant about only plugging in the 4pin and not both of the 4+4

6 minutes ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Efficiency and wattage aren't quality. 

I really wouldn't have saved a couple of bucks on the PSU. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Technician said that I shouldn't have plugged both of the 4+4 PIN.

bull crap

7 minutes ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Can someone enlighten me as to what could've happened?

as others have pointed out, probably a bad PSU, and it toasted the entire pc potentially

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

the technician really doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. the reason why you have a secondary connector is if your CPU is demanding more power than 1 connector can handle, it can draw from both. but if you don't hit the limit of 1 connector (which realistically you won't unless you're on LN2), then the 2nd connector is redundant. I have my 2nd one plugged in and I'm well under the power limit of the primary connector, and I'm using air cooling. so although the secondary connector is made for extreme overclockers, it won't brick your board if you plug it in. 

1 minute ago, Jedimaster99 said:

the technician really doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. the reason why you have a secondary connector is if your CPU is demanding more power than 1 connector can handle, it can draw from both. but if you don't hit the limit of 1 connector (which realistically you won't unless you're on LN2), then the 2nd connector is redundant. I have my 2nd one plugged in and I'm well under the power limit of the primary connector, and I'm using air cooling. so although the secondary connector is made for extreme overclockers, it won't brick your board if you plug it in. 

We're on the same page. But I still haven't deduced the exact reason as to the cause of it all. Even if the PSU he got isn't even 80+ bronze, it was still brand new. Can a brand new PSU really brick a brand new motherboard just like that?

1 minute ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Can a brand new PSU really brick a brand new motherboard just like that?

if it's faulty and sends the wrong voltage down the wire

it could fry everything the moment u flip the switch

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

We're on the same page. But I still haven't deduced the exact reason as to the cause of it all. Even if the PSU he got isn't even 80+ bronze, it was still brand new. Can a brand new PSU really brick a brand new motherboard just like that?

Do you have pictures? (Of the psu, but perhaps of burnt stuff on mobo or gpu?)

Im also wondering what that "technician" means. Did you call a plumber 😂 (just kidding), but seriously, when people say "technician" it could be their brother, neighbour, or "that guy who runs a garage and thus knows what a wire is" - just curious to context here :)

but bummer, this a nightmare scenario

7 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Do you have pictures? (Of the psu, but perhaps of burnt stuff on mobo or gpu?)

Im also wondering what that "technician" means. Did you call a plumber 😂 (just kidding), but seriously, when people say "technician" it could be their brother, neighbour, or "that guy who runs a garage and thus knows what a wire is" - just curious to context here :)

but bummer, this a nightmare scenario

hey there! no pictures cuz we we're pretty bummed and i was feeling really bad (as you can imagine) BUT I did check the GPU  myself and there were no physical burns, stains, ash, or residue of any sort. The MOBO, I wasn't able to check.

I also can't back-up the technician's credentials as he wasn't my contact. He was my friend's contact so I can't speak about his expertise or lack thereof. I did get an update today, found out that the technician was from a VERY reputable computer shop here in our city. Thus, I am puzzled more than ever. 😂

hey there! no pictures cuz we we're pretty bummed and i was feeling really bad (as you can imagine) BUT I did check the GPU  myself and there were no physical burns, stains, ash, or residue of any sort. The MOBO, I wasn't able to check.

I also can't back-up the technician's credentials as he wasn't my contact. He was my friend's contact so I can't speak about his expertise or lack thereof. I did get an update today, found out that the technician was from a VERY reputable computer shop here in our city. Thus, I am puzzled more than ever. 😂

What msi b450 motherboard exactly, because something doesnt seem to add up. 

EPS is 8 pin, with sometimes an additional 4 pin. 4 + 4 is just a single 8 pin. In dont think you have two 4+4 pins as you describe it, and there lingers opportunity for mistakes,

The connector on psu cable (psu to eps, on mobo side connector), can sometimes be split physically, into 4 + 4 for when only 4 is needed.

However, when split, on some psu cables, only one of those 4 pins has the square/D-pin patterns (which blocks wrong insertion when used as 8 pin), so "technicaly" its possible to fit 1 of the two 4 pin parts incorrectly into the 8 pins.

This would result in 12v to gnd, and with a psu with bad or no protections, would mean instant "poof" for stuff downstream.

16 minutes ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

hey there!

Wait, now that i think of it....

Lets assume gaming pro carbon 8pin and 4pin extra.

How likely is it that a noname brand psu with no certification has the correct additional 4 pin (given that even very expensive high wattage brand psus dont always have one...)

So if a extra 4 pin was indeed connected, was it labeled eps on psu/cabel??