Monitor turns off while gaming, new gpu and psu.

Ninjas_amaL

Hi, I have recently bought a GTX 1650 Super and Corsair CX550 PSU. I have an old system so I planned to upgrade one by one. I previously had a Nvidia GT 730 which never had an issue. But after I have installed this new GPU and PSU. When I set my graphics quality to high in CSGO/Valorant or Dota 2. My monitor turns off for a few seconds and showing no signal input, I can hear a disconnection sound after a few seconds it comes back on and this repeats until I force quit the game or restarts the entire machine. I have an old monitor with VGA port so I have used a HDMI to VGA converter will that be an issue also can the GPU or PSU be faulty ? Even if I set the lowest quality and when I walk into smokes in CSGO the same happens. I have freshly installed Win 10 OS and drivers but same happens.I have monitored the temps while gaming but the GPU remains at 52c at heavy load and CPU max at 71c. Also the GPU load is about 10%-30% while gaming. I know bottleneck can occur but is this why my monitor turns off ?

My spec:

• CPU: i3-2120 3.30 Ghz

• Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-DS2

• Ram: Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 - 4 GB

• GPU: GTX 1650 Super

• PSU: Corsair CX550.

3 minutes ago, amalts0101 said:

Even if I set the lowest quality and when I walk into smokes in CSGO the same happens.

sounds like it occurs when there's a spike in gpu usage

as walking in CSGO smoke really takes a toll on GPU

could be power delivery issue

could be defective gpu

make sure the 24-pin on the motherboard is plugged in well

as well as CPU 4/8 pin, and GPU's PCIE power

after that could u run some cpu benchmark like cinebench and see if it happens?

if not, try running unigine heaven or some GPU benchmarks, see if it occurs

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

sounds like it occurs when there's a spike in gpu usage

as walking in CSGO smoke really takes a toll on GPU

could be power delivery issue

could be defective gpu

make sure the 24-pin on the motherboard is plugged in well

as well as CPU 4/8 pin, and GPU's PCIE power

after that could u run some cpu benchmark like cinebench and see if it happens?

if not, try running unigine heaven or some GPU benchmarks, see if it occurs

Will the VGA to HDMI connector can be any cause ? I will try these tomorrow and let you know.

6 minutes ago, amalts0101 said:

Will the VGA to HDMI connector can be any cause ? I will try these tomorrow and let you know.

unlikely, if it were to cause issue i would assume it's going to occur even when you're not gaming, but still possible

i have a HDMI to VGA converter that works on 900 and 1000 series gpu, but not my 2000 series gpu, which the 1650 super shares a same architecture with. but it just flat out wouldnt work to begin with, not only while gaming.

unlikely, if it were to cause issue i would assume it's going to occur even when you're not gaming, but still possible

i have a HDMI to VGA converter that works on 900 and 1000 series gpu, but not my 2000 series gpu, 1650 super shares a same architecture with. but it just flat out wouldnt work to begin with, not only while gaming.

Ok I will properly seat the connectors and gpu. How long should I run these softwares for ?

Just now, amalts0101 said:

Ok I will properly seat the connectors and gpu. How long should I run these softwares for ?

i'd say 15 minutes is good enough to test, if nothing is wrong then maybe longer

i suspect it'll probably just shut off when the gpu reaches a certain load though

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i'd say 15 minutes is good enough to test, if nothing is wrong then maybe longer

i suspect it'll probably just shut off when the gpu reaches a certain load though

Ok I will try these and let you know.

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Hi I just run the cinebench but no issues while running it. I got 598 pts and got no issues while running. Now I will run the unigine heaven.

7 minutes ago, amalts0101 said:

Hi I just run the cinebench but no issues while running it. I got 598 pts and got no issues while running. Now I will run the unigine heaven.

yea i sorta expected that, just wanted u to do it as a sanity check

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea i sorta expected that, just wanted u to do it as a sanity check

I just run the heaven benchmark as soon as I started the benchmark the problem happened. The gpu usage spiked to 100% and my monitor turned off like it happens in the game. Isn't the 550w PSU enough for my system ? Motherboard manufacturers have send me a bios update which is in beta to check with should I try that ? What would be the possible cause ? Because this is a corona time I can't even send these for RMA. How can I make sure if it is the GPU or PSU ? Can this be a bottleneck issue ?

The gpu usage spiked to 100% and my monitor turned off like it happens in the game.

yea as i expected

do you have a TV at home that had HDMI? maybe try plugging your PC there for temporary testing to eliminate the adapter as a factor.

Isn't the 550w PSU enough for my system ?

yes it's enough

Motherboard manufacturers have send me a bios update which is in beta to check with should I try that ?

you could but i wouldnt do that just yet

What would be the possible cause ?

the HDMI to VGA adapter is one of the suspect

could be faulty GPU or PSU too

4 minutes ago, amalts0101 said:

How can I make sure if it is the GPU or PSU ?

lets eliminate the adapter first, if you have a TV or any other display that you could plug in

yea as i expected

do you have a TV at home that had HDMI? maybe try plugging your PC there for temporary testing to eliminate the adapter as a factor.

yes it's enough

you could but i wouldnt do that just yet

the HDMI to VGA adapter is one of the suspect

could be faulty GPU or PSU too

lets eliminate the adapter first, if you have a TV or any other display that you could plug in

I don't have one I will ask my friends. Due to this corona I can't even go and borrow one. Sorry for asking again but how can that cause this issue because this happens only on the spike right otherwise it is working fine is it because the signal is from HDMI ? Also Thank you so much for your help I have been running all around to my GPU, PSU and Motherboard manufacturers. They haven't given me any help like you did.

1 minute ago, amalts0101 said:

Sorry for asking again but how can that cause this issue because this happens only on the spike right otherwise it is working fine is it because the signal is from HDMI ?

let me be frank with you, if the adapter is causing the issue, then i have absolutely no idea how and why it happens, because i couldnt get my adapter to work too

was working fine on all gpu except my turing card.

2 minutes ago, amalts0101 said:

Thank you so much for your help

you're very welcome

we could try diagnosing other things in the meantime that doesnt require a monitor

try checking the PCIE connector on the gpu, is is a 6 or 8 pin? did u miss the 2 pin if it's an 8pin?

if it's well connected, try using another PCIE power cable that's coming out from the PSU if there is one

also check the motherboard 24-pin as it also powers part of the GPU thru pcie

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

let me be frank with you, if the adapter is causing the issue, then i have absolutely no idea how and why it happens, because i couldnt get my adapter to work too

was working fine on all gpu except my turing card.

you're very welcome

we could try diagnosing other things in the meantime that doesnt require a monitor

try checking the PCIE connector on the gpu, is is a 6 or 8 pin? did u miss the 2 pin if it's an 8pin?

if it's well connected, try using another PCIE power cable that's coming out from the PSU if there is one

also check the motherboard 24-pin as it also powers part of the GPU thru pcie

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-DS2-rev-50#ov

This is my motherboard. I think I haven't missed any pins while connecting because I had put this together 1 month back and I couldn't play for one month as I was away with my Job. I have another pcie power cable that comes out of the PSU.

I think I haven't missed any pins

just make sure the 24-pin is seated all the way, people tend to not insert it all the way or evenly because it's so bulky and takes some force to do it

as long as the lock on the 24 pin is clicked, it should be fine, just make sure the extra 4 pin (the 24 pin is a 20+4 pin connector most of the time) is well seated as well

I have another pcie power cable that comes out of the PSU.

try using that pcie power cable for the gpu

just make sure the 24-pin is seated all the way, people tend to not insert it all the way or evenly because it's so bulky and takes some force to do it

as long as the lock on the 24 pin is clicked, it should be fine, just make sure the extra 4 pin (the 24 pin is a 20+4 pin connector most of the time) is well seated as well

Yes I will seat all of them properly in the morning, test it once more and will let you know.

15 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Hi, I used the second PCI cable, seated all the connectors and gpu properly but this happens still. 😕 Really worried I just bought these and this happens 😢 

1 hour ago, amalts0101 said:

Hi, I used the second PCI cable, seated all the connectors and gpu properly but this happens still. 😕 Really worried I just bought these and this happens 😢 

yea try without the adapter first, if problem still persist then it's most likely a faulty GPU

i dont think it's the PSU's fault, but the possibility is there

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

yea try without the adapter first, if problem still persist then it's most likely a faulty GPU

i dont think it's the PSU's fault, but the possibility is there

Yes that is the hard part now because I can't find any monitors that I could borrow. If it was a PSU issue the whole system should turn off right ?

Yes that is the hard part now because I can't find any monitors that I could borrow. If it was a PSU issue the whole system should turn off right ?

unless it's the 12v rail for the PCIE device specifically that's broken

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 11:06 PM, Moonzy said:

unless it's the 12v rail for the PCIE device specifically that's broken

Hi Moonzy ! I tested it on my friend's HDMI Monitor and there is no issue. I ran the test for about 15 mins on mid settings and it completed successfully with an average fps of 173. I also tested in a CSGO Benchmark map and no crash over there also. It might be the converter? or can it be the cable because the one that I am using is pretty old. Another question regardless of this I saw that my GPU temp at full load was 76c is that normal ?

It might be the converter?

most probably the converter not being able to handle such high FPS going through it and just went haywire

I saw that my GPU temp at full load was 76c is that normal ?

yea, anything below 85c for turing is fine

personally feels 75c is on the warmer side, but still gets a green light in my book (i have higher standards for no good reason)

most probably the converter not being able to handle such high FPS going through it and just went haywire

yea, anything below 85c for turing is fine

personally feels 75c is on the warmer side, but still gets a green light in my book (i have higher standards for no good reason)

Should I change both of them or just the converter ? Or should I buy a new Monitor 😕

should I buy a new Monitor

i would lean on this option if your financial situation allows it

i would lean on this option if your financial situation allows it

I am planning for a major upgrade though with a ryzen 7 2700x and 16 gigs of ram and a 240hz/320 hz monitor. Which I mostly intend to play a CSGO will it be worth. I will be setting everything to low and probably 1080p. Will I be able to get a minim 320 fps with this build ?