Need some help planning a Nas/Mini game server.

I have 1500-2000 to spend to build a server to host a game server for up to 8 players and a back-up/plex server for myself. That is with out hard drives, I was deciding on getting a QNAP TVS-672N. Though I have thoughts that it Might be better to build one instead but do not know where to start. My only requirements are 6-8 3.5 drive bays, 10GB upgraded available with GPU, 2 nvme drives to speed up the main drives, and as small/quiet as possible.

Thanks Everyone.

10 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

- What kind of games? 

7 days to die so far

- Does your budget includes Drivers? 

What you mean by this?

1 hour ago, Ezekial said:

drives * sorry  HDD, SSD.. ect 

Lets start with the basics, seems like your going to play simple games. Do you have any experience with Linux? 

If you want to start somewhere, use Linus video on the minecraft server for start, then start scaling it down. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4uIvK8Y7t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgr4qibTVCQ

Few things 

- Main purpose will be NAS or game server? if you don't need a lot of CPU/ GPU grunt, you can use the funds for more drivers. 

- Do you have the internet to support this? 

- Do you have a size requirement? 

- Do you have a noise requirement?( servers get hot) 

- Do you want 24/7 then  ECC memory will be better. 

Sorry mate, i am throwing around a lot of question. I will promise you, if you do build this, it will be fun and frustrating since, it's your first time doing this sort of thing. If your not comfortable after doing a bit of research and want to test out waters, get a Cheap server from Ebay.  

19 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

drives * sorry  HDD, SSD.. ect 

Lets start with the basics, seems like your going to play simple games. Do you have any experience with Linux? nope.

If you want to start somewhere, use Linus video on the minecraft server for start, then start scaling it down. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4uIvK8Y7t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgr4qibTVCQ

Few things 

- Main purpose will be NAS or game server? if you don't need a lot of CPU/ GPU grunt, you can use the funds for more drivers. 

Nas and back-up mainly with some cloud storage if possible. Game server secondly.

- Do you have the internet to support this? 

1tb fiber

- Do you have a size requirement? 

Smaller the better but no.

- Do you have a noise requirement?( servers get hot) quieter the better since it be in my bedroom

- Do you want 24/7 then  ECC memory will be better. yes

Sorry mate, i am throwing around a lot of question. I will promise you, if you do build this, it will be fun and frustrating since, it's your first time doing this sort of thing. If your not comfortable after doing a bit of research and want to test out waters, get a Cheap server from Ebay.  

15 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

You didn't answer my questions. 

I put the answers under the questions.

5 hours ago, Ezekial said:

I put the answers under the questions.

quote me, that was really hard to read

Here is a video for home media server 

a detailed write up, but old but you will get the general idea 

NAS killer build- https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-4-0-fast-quiet-power-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667

Going for a old Xeon  server build from Ebay  will give you a slower server but much more storage but future expandability will be limited. 

For a new build 

Ryzen 3600( much more raw CPU power or 3400G( has a IGPU) 

CPU cooler- stock is fine but if you need something better, get a cheap Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

b450 MOBO

32GB ram

for  a video card 

Choose between a Used 1060, new 1660ti, you use it for very light gaming so a 1060 will be more then enough.  

For storage

1TB SSD Samsung 860 Evo ( or 960, depending on sales, whatever is cheaper) 

More storage will be needed, so what kind of capacity do you want to have? how much storage?  what kind of media will you put in that? 

PSU-  be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

For case, do you have one in mind? somthing like Lian Li PC-D600 ATX  is a good case but its really big. 

What OS do you have in mind? Freenas is good NAS OS, you can always use VM to run your games. 

On 7/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, The Sloth said:

quote me, that was really hard to read

Here is a video for home media server 

a detailed write up, but old but you will get the general idea 

NAS killer build- https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-4-0-fast-quiet-power-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667

Going for a old Xeon  server build from Ebay  will give you a slower server but much more storage but future expandability will be limited. 

For a new build 

Ryzen 3600( much more raw CPU power or 3400G( has a IGPU) 

CPU cooler- stock is fine but if you need something better, get a cheap Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

b450 MOBO

32GB ram

for  a video card 

Choose between a Used 1060, new 1660ti, you use it for very light gaming so a 1060 will be more then enough.  

For storage

1TB SSD Samsung 860 Evo ( or 960, depending on sales, whatever is cheaper) 

More storage will be needed, so what kind of capacity do you want to have? how much storage?  what kind of media will you put in that? 

PSU-  be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

For case, do you have one in mind? somthing like Lian Li PC-D600 ATX  is a good case but its really big. 

What OS do you have in mind? Freenas is good NAS OS, you can always use VM to run your games. 

thanks.