Ping and nslookup working, browsing doesn't

MikkoP

Hi all

I just reinstalled my computer and it's running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. For some reason, it has been very laggy on the internet for a while now. Nslookup and ping work from the command line but browsing doesn't. Pages just load and load and maybe eventually after 20 seconds they show up. This problems doesn't seem to be caused by any cable, NIC or browser. I have tried multiple different cables, two network cards (the one built in my P8P67 and A-Link NA1GHR) and Chrome and IE. I have also switched the port on the modem.

Currently I have an Asus RT-N53 router connected to the wall in which my desktop is connected to. Now I'm writing this on my laptop that's connected to the WLAN router. No problems here what so ever. The same problems occur if I don't use the router but connect my PC straight to the wall, which then leads to a switch downstairs and that is connected to Cisco EPC3825 modem. I have also tried to connect straight to the modem, but as I said, my laptop and all the other computers work, so it's not hardware problem.

What should I do?

I have all the drivers installed from Asus. Those include the network driver. The same driver worked with the external card too.

I tried to load speedtest.net to see if the connection speed is slow. No problem there. After it managed to connect and test the pings etc, it reported that ping was around 10 ms and speeds were 85/10 Mb/s. The connection works fine in the local network. I can move files from my server 10 MB/s (yea, bytes).

What is the system using as a DNS server? The modem? ISP's DNS?

I have seen issues here with my Rogers cable modem that when they go nuts, they sometimes only affect a single system. I have had my system bog down on internet, but everyone else's "seems" ok. Reset modem, everything ok for a little bit then same. Call Rogers, request a modem swap, problem fixed. No explanation, but I have had to do this a few times, with Cisco and Scientific Atlanta modems..

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Could be some sort of MTU issue..

Try pinging at different sizes.. EG: ping -f -l 1472 google.com

Go up or down between 1450-1500 and report back.

What is the system using as a DNS server? The modem? ISP's DNS?

I have seen issues here with my Rogers cable modem that when they go nuts, they sometimes only affect a single system. I have had my system bog down on internet, but everyone else's "seems" ok. Reset modem, everything ok for a little bit then same. Call Rogers, request a modem swap, problem fixed. No explanation, but I have had to do this a few times, with Cisco and Scientific Atlanta modems..

I use Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Could be some sort of MTU issue..

Try pinging at different sizes.. EG: ping -f -l 1472 google.com

Go up or down between 1450-1500 and report back.

As far as I can tell, it seems to work with 1472 and under. If I go over that, I get message: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. Removing -f gets rid of this. Sending 5500 bytes takes about 15 ms with google.com

As far as I can tell, it seems to work with 1472 and under. If I go over that, I get message: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. Removing -f gets rid of this. Sending 5500 bytes takes about 15 ms with google.com

That's good. Missed the part in your post that says the page actually loads, so this was irrelevant anyway -- sorry.

What sort of ISP do you have? Are they cable-based? Should give them  a ringadingding.

That's good. Missed the part in your post that says the page actually loads, so this was irrelevant anyway -- sorry.

What sort of ISP do you have? Are they cable-based? Should give them a ringadingding.

But every other device works. My pc is the only one of about 20 devices in our house that doesn't work.

I analyzed the problem a little with Chrome developer console. It seems like the DNS query takes about 10-50 ms every time, that's fine. Then there is 0-10 ms of blocking and then the bad one: the connecting value is about 20-120 seconds. Why's that?

But every other device works. My pc is the only one of about 20 devices in our house that doesn't work.

If I could make a suggestion - Just as a test, turn off your Anti-Virus (completely) and also, disable your Local Firewall, and then try to browse to a site (a safe one)

If I could make a suggestion - Just as a test, turn off your Anti-Virus (completely) and also, disable your Local Firewall, and then try to browse to a site (a safe one)

This didn't help either.