Unable to boot at any settings other than OCed

For some reason, my computer will refuse to boot at stock settings, or any settings that seem to deviate from current settings...

I've been running the CPU at 4.5GHz \at stock voltage for quite a while now, and on a few occasions I had some BSODs so I wanted to up the voltage by maybe 20mV to increase stability. However, when I did that, the computer wouldn't boot, it would get to the windows loading screen, spin for a few seconds, and it looks like when it's just about to load up the OS behind the scenes, that's when it hard freezes. Why would increasing the voltage on a pretty stable OC cause it to crash...?

Interestingly, trying to reset BIOS to stock settings doesn't work, exact same thing happens. Any setting that isn't 4.5GHz with stock voltage doesn't work. What the heck is going on?!?!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

CPUs age, especially if they are overclocked and get hot regularly. After awhile even a really stable CPU can get fickle, but it could also be a bios issue. Are you running the latest bios release for your motherboard?

If you are already running the latest release, you could try flashing it again to see if that clears up the issue. 

1 hour ago, ArrowThief said:

CPUs age, especially if they are overclocked and get hot regularly. After awhile even a really stable CPU can get fickle, but it could also be a bios issue. Are you running the latest bios release for your motherboard?

If you are already running the latest release, you could try flashing it again to see if that clears up the issue. 

I may try flashing it again, it is indeed running the latest BIOS. This CPU hasn't really been overclocked that much in its life, it was ran mostly stock and relatively cool for most of its life so I doubt its a hardware degradation thing. :/

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I wouldn't flash that board. You chance bricking the bios which is already having issues.

Start planning a new build is the best suggestion here.

Your mobo has a dual bios option, so you could try swapping over and see how the other one behaves rather than flashing. 

On 7/20/2020 at 11:06 PM, ArrowThief said:

Your mobo has a dual bios option, so you could try swapping over and see how the other one behaves rather than flashing. 

will try that.

EDIT: As it turns out, the second BIOS isn't something that I just choose to boot with. It's only a backup BIOS that works when the main BIOS is corrupted, and it apparently all it does is it flashes the main BIOS. This may mean I might need to flash the BIOS with the Gigabyte firmware again just in case.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

• 1 month later...

Bump, tried different BIOS versions, same results. CPU will only boot if it's OCed, it appears that stock voltage settings for stock clocks are not correct, but yet when I play around with the Vcore to something that I know works, it still doesn't boot into Windows. Will only boot into Windows and run stably if OCed...

WTF is with this computer lmao

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

2 hours ago, JaZoN_XD said:

Bump, tried different BIOS versions, same results. CPU will only boot if it's OCed, it appears that stock voltage settings for stock clocks are not correct, but yet when I play around with the Vcore to something that I know works, it still doesn't boot into Windows. Will only boot into Windows and run stably if OCed...

WTF is with this computer lmao

Are you handy with a soldering gun??

This is the only path I can guide you on a cheap repair.

If the new bios chip seems to have the same exact issue, it's hardware related elsewhere on the mainboard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIOS-CHIP-GIGABYTE-GA-Z97X-GAMING-3-/401378086722

EDIT: Also, contact the seller and tell them which bios revision you'd like to have installed.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Are you handy with a soldering gun??

This is the only path I can guide you on a cheap repair.

If the new bios chip seems to have the same exact issue, it's hardware related elsewhere on the mainboard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIOS-CHIP-GIGABYTE-GA-Z97X-GAMING-3-/401378086722

EDIT: Also, contact the seller and tell them which bios revision you'd like to have installed.

Ah, this is an interesting approach, never thought to replace BIOS itself. I've done some soldering to replace MOSFETs and stuff, so this should be relatively simple in comparison. May be a lost-cause at this point though, 6 year old platform now... I mean, it still runs... somewhat LOL

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler