Planning to go from 1080 to 1440

SHiFT

Budget (including currency): No hard budget, money is not a concern for it 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming at 1440P Ultra is the main priority with high FPS

Hey!

I currently have a 1080P rig. I am trying to move with the times and go to 1440P after around 5 years of gaming on this.

I have been out of the hardware game a bit, but I did see some leaks of new AMD / NVIDIA GPUs, and also there is now a 10th Gen Intel CPU but Ryzen seems pretty good too.

I have no strict budget - I am thinking about building / getting something built that will destroy and chew through everything at Ultra on 1440P for the next 3 years minimum!

Help me out!

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

What titles do you play? AAA? or older games?
I use an RTX 2070 Super powered by a Ryzen 3700X in 2K and, depending on the game and setting, I don't always reach the 60 FPs sweet spot. 

I would recommend an RTX 2080 TI or even better, wait a little for RTX 3000 and big Navi.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

1 minute ago, Quickstrike said:

What titles do you play? AAA? or older games?
I use an RTX 2070 Super powered by a Ryzen 3700X in 2K and, depending on the game and setting, I don't always reach the 60 FPs sweet spot. 

I would recommend an RTX 2080 TI or even better, wait a little for RTX 3000 and big Navi.

Well, it mainly would be AAA yes - the heavy hitters.

I did see to wait for those. Maybe the 3000 series will offer better performance at the same price as the 2000 series ones are at now.

You don't always hit 60FPS at 1440P with that GPU? That sounds strange.

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

1 minute ago, SHiFT said:

Well, it mainly would be AAA yes - the heavy hitters.

I did see to wait for those. Maybe the 3000 series will offer better performance at the same price as the 2000 series ones are at now.

You don't always hit 60FPS at 1440P with that GPU? That sounds strange.

3700X, 32 gig of ram, everything benches within expected parameters.

It's fine most of the time and my screen is 60 Hz (4K but I game in 2K) and it usually happens in less optimized games using Unity
like Kerball Space Program (with big constructs), the Outter worlds (some slowdowns around 50 FPS i'm on ultra setting however), Warhammer and Three kingdoms run fine in 2K. I get dips during loading in Minecraft (max chunk renders).

I don't play modern shooters. 

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -

5 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

It's fine most of the time and my screen is 60 Hz (4K but I game in 2K) and it usually happens in less optimized games using Unity
like Kerball Space Program (with big constructs), the Outter worlds (some slowdowns around 50 FPS i'm on ultra setting however), Warhammer and Three kingdoms run fine in 2K. I get dips during loading in Minecraft (max chunk renders).

In regards to CPUs for gaming, is it AMD or INTEL on top at the moment?

3 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Those FPS sound kind of low to me. I dont play those games, but on other AAA games, I get 70-80s on ultra 1440p with a 1070 and 8700k.

20 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

I have been out of the hardware game a bit, but I did see some leaks of new AMD / NVIDIA GPUs, and also there is now a 10th Gen Intel CPU but Ryzen seems pretty good too.

Right now, Ryzen is destroying Intel. You will get a few extra fps with intel but at a much higher price. If I were you, I would wait until the new gpus from nvidia come out and the new cpus and gpus come out from AMD. All should be out in a few months.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Those FPS sound kind of low to me. I dont play those games, but on other AAA games, I get 70-80s on ultra 1440p with a 1070 and 8700k.

Right now, Ryzen is destroying Intel. You will get a few extra fps with intel but at a much higher price. If I were you, I would wait until the new gpus from nvidia come out and the new cpus and gpus come out from AMD. All should be out in a few months.

Hmm, so let's wait until that and upgrade end of year?

I am however going with a company, as I do not have the time / patience needed to build a PC anymore!

1 minute ago, SHiFT said:

In regards to CPUs for gaming, is it AMD or INTEL on top at the moment?

3700X is AMD Ryzen.
It boost at 4.2 Ghz consistently

Spoiler

Just now, SHiFT said:

I am however going with a company, as I do not have the time / patience needed to build a PC anymore!

I would wait. I would really recommend building your own. You can get better quality parts for the same price (or often cheaper) and it doesnt take too long to build one.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

9 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I would wait. I would really recommend building your own. You can get better quality parts for the same price (or often cheaper) and it doesnt take too long to build one.

OK - I'll hold on a while then to see how this all plays out!

41 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

What SI are you considering? Mainstream like Dell or HP or more nice like NZXT or Pugget?

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

What SI are you considering? Mainstream like Dell or HP or more nice like NZXT or Pugget?

I used Overclockers 5 years ago for my last build. It was perfect and nothing ever broke - I would go with them again. They are very highly rated in the UK!

I am still open to suggestions / points to consider from the rest of the community!