GPU Vertical Mounting

ubuntu-guru

So, because my 2070s is so long, I've been looking into options for mounting the GPU on it's side, Apparently I need the bracket, and a slider card so that it can hook in.

Is their a universal one that will attach to my back PCI slots that will achieve this? No RGB needed on the setup (I've seen a few that come with RGB and it's not really something I need).

I feel like putting the card on it's side will help the sag toward the back, as well as maybe even show off the fans a little.

Hopefully one that will also give me the ability to use the 4th PCI slot I have for my network card (I've seen some brackets that eat up all the slots and pretty much just let you hook in the GPU.

Would need some machine stats.  Like what case you have.  Not all of them even support vertical mount.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ah sorry. Stats for PC are in my footer.

The case I use is: https://www.amazon.com/darkFlash-Mid-Tower-Computer-Tempered-Pre-Installed/dp/B07F1YSB9M/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=Deepcool+case&qid=1595040612&sr=8-45

I've debated the case though. It was nice on paper, but I feel it's too cramped. Not to mention, when I bought my mobo, it was E-ATX, and this particular case had a indentation shortly after the motherboard was to go inside, which made putting an E-ATX in it a pain.

So I decided to use a dremel, and modify the case to open up that part of the case since it was just a sheet of material, sanded it down, repainted it, and it literally looks like it came from the factory, and it made cable management nice.

However, it's really wonky in the front, so putting in a 280mm radiator makes the front have holes that cannot have anything else there, unless I decide to go ahead and start drilling case fan screw holes, etc. And I don't really like the case THAT much to start investing that amount of time.

So potentially in the future, I'm going to be going to a full tower. But I'd assume if I can get this case to support vertical, then the full should.

I was after a case like this, that was simple, clean, and this case pretty much stood out at me at the time.

4 minutes ago, oort said:

Ah sorry. Stats for PC are in my footer.

The case I use is: https://www.amazon.com/darkFlash-Mid-Tower-Computer-Tempered-Pre-Installed/dp/B07F1YSB9M/ref=sr_1_45?dchild=1&keywords=Deepcool+case&qid=1595040612&sr=8-45

I've debated the case though. It was nice on paper, but I feel it's too cramped. Not to mention, when I bought my mobo, it was E-ATX, and this particular case had a indentation shortly after the motherboard was to go inside, which made putting an E-ATX in it a pain.

So I decided to use a dremel, and modify the case to open up that part of the case since it was just a sheet of material, sanded it down, repainted it, and it literally looks like it came from the factory, and it made cable management nice.

However, it's really wonky in the front, so putting in a 280mm radiator makes the front have holes that cannot have anything else there, unless I decide to go ahead and start drilling case fan screw holes, etc. And I don't really like the case THAT much to start investing that amount of time.

So potentially in the future, I'm going to be going to a full tower. But I'd assume if I can get this case to support vertical, then the full should.

Case back doesn’t have outlets for side mounting a gpu.  There is a grillwork you could cut out I suppose.  That case confuses me.  4 fans in front that do... nothing? And two in back.  Looks like major MacGuyver to do a vertical mount in that case.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Case back doesn’t have outlets for side mounting a gpu.  There is a grillwork you could cut out I suppose.  That case confuses me.  4 fans in front that do... nothing? And two in back.  Looks like major MacGuyver to do a vertical mount in that case.

Yes, that case is confusing. Imagine how I felt and why I had to modify it so much. The first night I had it, I had to modify it to get the PSU in (it was a standard PSU size). I had to remove the hard drive mounting tray otherwise the PSU wouldn't fit.

I was actually thinking over what my dislikes are in the case, and I'm poking around at the moment for an upgrade next month, and this one caught my eye. Even has the 2 slot side mounting for a GPU:

https://www.amazon.com/Anidees-Crystal-Tempered-Support-Radiator/dp/B07NW42KN9/ref=sr_1_90?crid=3HQ78YTEK7X97&dchild=1&keywords=tempered+glass+pc+case&qid=1595041108&s=electronics&sprefix=Tempered+Glass%2Celectronics%2C218&sr=1-90

2 minutes ago, oort said:

Yes, that case is confusing. Imagine how I felt and why I had to modify it so much. The first night I had it, I had to modify it to get the PSU in (it was a standard PSU size). I had to remove the hard drive mounting tray otherwise the PSU wouldn't fit.

I was actually thinking over what my dislikes are in the case, and I'm poking around at the moment for an upgrade next month, and this one caught my eye. Even has the 2 slot side mounting for a GPU:

https://www.amazon.com/Anidees-Crystal-Tempered-Support-Radiator/dp/B07NW42KN9/ref=sr_1_90?crid=3HQ78YTEK7X97&dchild=1&keywords=tempered+glass+pc+case&qid=1595041108&s=electronics&sprefix=Tempered+Glass%2Celectronics%2C218&sr=1-90

You do seem to like glass front cases.  2nd looks  larger than the first.  I notice in the second the glass got pushed forward so there is a vent to allow some air in.  

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You do seem to like glass front cases.  2nd looks  larger than the first.  I notice in the second the glass got pushed forward so there is a vent to allow some air in.  

Yeah. I just like how clean they are. Unfortunately when I bought the one I'm using now, I didn't realize how closed off the front was. I had to remove the front glass to give airflow. Had I paid more attention, that would have been a deal breaker, but carelessness.

This one is at least a full tower, and supports my E-ATX, so I won't have to break out my tools just to get it to fit. And I'll actually have hard drive bays I can utilize. Luckily I only have 1 HDD that is sitting at the bottom, but it would have been nice to actually use it, instead of removing it to fit the PSU.

5 minutes ago, oort said:

Yeah. I just like how clean they are. Unfortunately when I bought the one I'm using now, I didn't realize how closed off the front was. I had to remove the front glass to give airflow. Had I paid more attention, that would have been a deal breaker, but carelessness.

This one is at least a full tower, and supports my E-ATX, so I won't have to break out my tools just to get it to fit. And I'll actually have hard drive bays I can utilize. Luckily I only have 1 HDD that is sitting at the bottom, but it would have been nice to actually use it, instead of removing it to fit the PSU.

There’s always double stick tape for mounting.  Has it’s own problems of course.  You could put the glass back on the front of your current if you could find a way to lengthen the mounting posts to let some air in around the edges of the glass.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s always double stick tape for mounting.  Has it’s own problems of course.  You could put the glass back on the front of your current if you could find a way to lengthen the mounting posts to let some air in around the edges of the glass.

Yeah, I would have tried to find alternative solutions for the glass, but like I said, I realized how "functional" the case was when I had to do that little project, which meant taking off a piece of metal that was 2 inches wide and roughly 10 inches tall. Luckily I made it look good after the sanding, but I really want a case that just has more room. 

After I put the GPU in, and then my NVMe extender card, there's really no room left at the bottom and cable management just looks horrible. So having spare room at the bottom with a new case will be nice. Plus the case is ready to mount the GPU the other way.

Just a lesson learned I guess, to pay more attention to the fine details in a case.

1 minute ago, oort said:

Yeah, I would have tried to find alternative solutions for the glass, but like I said, I realized how "functional" the case was when I had to do that little project, which meant taking off a piece of metal that was 2 inches wide and roughly 10 inches tall. Luckily I made it look good after the sanding, but I really want a case that just has more room. 

After I put the GPU in, and then my NVMe extender card, there's really no room left at the bottom and cable management just looks horrible. So having spare room at the bottom with a new case will be nice. Plus the case is ready to mount the GPU the other way.

Just a lesson learned I guess, to pay more attention to the fine details in a case.

Any landing you walk away from..

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Any landing you walk away from..

Is a good landing. lol.

Thanks for the help though. Looks like just replacing the case with one I'll actually enjoy is the best solution. Just too many modifications to this case, and not enough space.

10 minutes ago, oort said:

Is a good landing. lol.

Thanks for the help though. Looks like just replacing the case with one I'll actually enjoy is the best solution. Just too many modifications to this case, and not enough space.

haha that is a cool looking case to bad for the flaws.... there is a video on youtube on a front mod to incress the gap.

this is the guy but i don't no what video he points it out

i don't see how making the gpu go flat to up right will give more space un less your going to mout it top to bottem? if thats the case that doable.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links