NVLINK bridge questions

finalantun2020

Hi, im getting two EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 GPUs and i think i need 3 slot spacing NVLINK bridge (my mobo is MSI MEG Z490 ACE so please tell me if i am correct that i need 3 slot bridge and not 4 slot) but it looks like that official EVGA 3 slot NVLINK bridge has been discontinued and only 4 slot is avalibel, so in case i keep air cooling my cards for now is official Nvidia bridge gonna be compatible with those cards since thats the only 3 slot brdige i can find, the official evga one looks to be discontinued

I have previously read somewhere that all RTX NVLINK bridges are compatible with all brands of RTX cards electrically and software wise (meaning same pinouts and electronics on all brands) but im worried if its gonna fit because of EVGA cards HUGE cooler size so can anyone confirm if i will be able to use nvidia bridge with evga cards

Thanks in advance :)

14 minutes ago, finalantun2020 said:

Hi, im getting two EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 GPUs and i think i need 3 slot spacing NVLINK bridge (my mobo is MSI MEG Z490 ACE so please tell me if i am correct that i need 3 slot bridge and not 4 slot) but it looks like that official EVGA 3 slot NVLINK bridge has been discontinued and only 4 slot is avalibel, so in case i keep air cooling my cards for now is official Nvidia bridge gonna be compatible with those cards since thats the only 3 slot brdige i can find, the official evga one looks to be discontinued

I have previously read somewhere that all RTX NVLINK bridges are compatible with all brands of RTX cards electrically and software wise (meaning same pinouts and electronics on all brands) but im worried if its gonna fit because of EVGA cards HUGE cooler size so can anyone confirm if i will be able to use nvidia bridge with evga cards

Thanks in advance :)

Yes; 3-slot... ideally, use an EGVA one to get best compatibility & fit.

EDIT:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-rtx-nvlink-sli-bridge-2-way-w-60mm-3-slot-configuration-rgb-for-geforce-rtx

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-2W-0029-RX

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

13 minutes ago, finalantun2020 said:

Hi, im getting two EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 GPUs

Why? There are almost no benifits to it. And it's a waste of money. 

To answer your question. 3 slots and you can get the same AIB model just to be safe that it fits. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

13 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Thanks for the info and links, these have been out of stock for quite a while with no stores having any sort of ETA for when it becomes avalible again, thats the reason i was looking at official Nvidia one in case i cant get my hands on EVGA one :)

12 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Why? There are almost no benifits to it. And it's a waste of money. 

To answer your question. 3 slots and you can get the same AIB model just to be safe that it fits. 

Thanks for the info

I am aware that there arent many games anymore that take good advantage of dual gpu setups but the reason i really want SLI is because for years i have always dreamt of having high end dual gpu setup and now that i can finally make my dream come true i am not gonna give up on building it no matter the cost

I understand most people dont like SLI and consider it waste of money but i have wanted this for many years and now i can finally do it, i would have waited for rtx 30 series but according to some leaks 30xx series arent gonna support SLI (apperently only titan card will) and 20xx series are (again according to some leaks) gonna be discontinued before 30xx are even announced so now im in hurry to get 2080 Tis cause i dont wanna risk not having sli on new cards

33 minutes ago, finalantun2020 said:

Thanks for the info

I am aware that there arent many games anymore that take good advantage of dual gpu setups but the reason i really want SLI is because for years i have always dreamt of having high end dual gpu setup and now that i can finally make my dream come true i am not gonna give up on building it no matter the cost

I understand most people dont like SLI and consider it waste of money but i have wanted this for many years and now i can finally do it, i would have waited for rtx 30 series but according to some leaks 30xx series arent gonna support SLI (apperently only titan card will) and 20xx series are (again according to some leaks) gonna be discontinued before 30xx are even announced so now im in hurry to get 2080 Tis cause i dont wanna risk not having sli on new cards

just get titan rtx. it will be better in games/workloads than dual 2080 ti's in the same price.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

11 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

just get titan rtx. it will be better in games/workloads than dual 2080 ti's in the same price.

I have considered that but then again it wouldnt be what i have always wanted and thats dual gpu setup :)

2 minutes ago, finalantun2020 said:

I have considered that but then again it wouldnt be what i have always wanted and thats dual gpu setup :)

sure. but make sure that you only use 1 gpu when gaming since dual gpus will give you much worse frame time and probably more stutters too.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

sure. but make sure that you only use 1 gpu when gaming since dual gpus will give you much worse frame time and probably more stutters too.

I have heard mixed results about that, i will test it game by game and see how it performs, i dont mind tinkering with more advanced settings so if some games need stuff like messing with nv inspector it wont be a problem.

For stutter and frame times i have always heard mixed results so it will probably depend on games i play but i will make sure to test every games i play with using single gpu and both gpus to see how each game behaves

This is the absolute worst time to invest in a Turing card.  As you can see from the NVLink availability, they are not making the parts since Ampere cards will be launching soon. Same thing happened with the Pascal cards when everyone stopped selling the SLI bridges.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

2 hours ago, Xplo1t said:

This is the absolute worst time to invest in a Turing card.  As you can see from the NVLink availability, they are not making the parts since Ampere cards will be launching soon. Same thing happened with the Pascal cards when everyone stopped selling the SLI bridges.

Unfortunatley that is true and im well aware of that but looks like 30xx series wont have SLI from what i've seen. i could risk and wait but then if new cards are announced without sli (nvlink) support then i woint be able to find new 2080 TIs anymore and i dont like buying such hardware used

8 minutes ago, finalantun2020 said:

Unfortunatley that is true and im well aware of that but looks like 30xx series wont have SLI from what i've seen. i could risk and wait but then if new cards are announced without sli (nvlink) support then i woint be able to find new 2080 TIs anymore and i dont like buying such hardware used

Even if money is not an issue, SLI is a pain to get working and 99.999% of the time you won't get any improvement.  I wouldn't even bother and just get a 2080 Ti now and then a 3080 Ti or whatever the equivalent is and have a much better experience than you are trying for.  Go for a nice water cooled setup if something else and throw your money at that.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

11 minutes ago, Xplo1t said:

Even if money is not an issue, SLI is a pain to get working and 99.999% of the time you won't get any improvement.  I wouldn't even bother and just get a 2080 Ti now and then a 3080 Ti or whatever the equivalent is and have a much better experience than you are trying for.  Go for a nice water cooled setup if something else and throw your money at that.

I appriciate your input on SLI but i dont think i will change my mind now :) Few posts above i explained that its something i really wanted for a very long time so i dont plan on giving up now but i appriciate you sharing your opinion :)