Help me pick a new Laptop Please!

hi can someone help me pick between the base MacBook 16 and the 10th gen i5 MacBook 13. i would be coding and video editing. the price diff between the two is $280.99

i own a windows gaming pc that i can use if i need anything Windows or Linux Based I need a Mac for school and Work 

The MBP 16 is the only Mac worth owning.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

thanks should i wait for ARMA or would the 16 be good or now and the next 2-3 years 

I think you should wait for ARM macs as apparently there is going to be a 13.3 inch macbook pro coming this fall with ARM. 

5 hours ago, spartanroyalty said:

hi can someone help me pick between the base MacBook 16 and the 10th gen i5 MacBook 13. i would be coding and video editing. the price diff between the two is $280.99

i own a windows gaming pc that i can use if i need anything Windows or Linux Based I need a Mac for school and Work 

The 16" has a much better CPU and dedicated graphics so I'd go with that. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

5 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

The MBP 16 is the only Mac worth owning.

13" isn't bad if you only need a moderate amount of CPU plus the 16" is super unwieldy in comparison. 

48 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

13" isn't bad if you only need a moderate amount of CPU plus the 16" is super unwieldy in comparison. 

so if i have the choice between the 13 and 16 and i want something that would last longer and something stronger which one out of the two should i pick up.

42 minutes ago, spartanroyalty said:

so if i have the choice between the 13 and 16 and i want something that would last longer and something stronger which one out of the 2 should i pick up.

The 16" one. More powerful CPU and GPU.

5 minutes ago, panzersharkcat said:

The 16" one. More powerful CPU and GPU.

so the 16 is overall better than the 13?

the 16 has a 9th gen i7 and 16GB RAM and 512GB storage and a 5300m 4GB GPU the 13 has a 10th gen i5 and 16GB of fast ram and 512GB 

3 hours ago, spartanroyalty said:

the 16 has a 9th gen i7 and 16GB RAM and 512GB storage and a 5300m 4GB GPU the 13 has a 10th gen i5 and 16GB of fast ram and 512GB 

The 16" has a hexacore chip with dedicated graphics the 13" has a quad core with integrated graphics. The only thing the 13" has better is portability, RAM speed and Wifi 6. The 16" also has a better screen and speakers. Oh and the trackpad is truly gigantic. 

If any software you want to run is free I have a base 16" I can run benchmarks if you'd like. 

13 hours ago, spartanroyalty said:

10 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

The 16" has a hexacore chip with dedicated graphics the 13" has a quad core with integrated graphics. The only thing the 13" has better is portability, RAM speed and Wifi 6. The 16" also has a better screen and speakers. Oh and the trackpad is truly gigantic. 

If any software you want to run is free I have a base 16" I can run benchmarks if you'd like. 

To elaborate on what Lord Vile says, the hexacore on the 16" is a 45 W CPU. The 13" one has a 15 W CPU. Single core appears to be similar but the i7 in the 16" will crush the i5 in the 13" in multicore workloads, if these benchmarks are accurate. (I don't think the i5 is the same one used in the MacBook Pro 13" but it should give you a rough idea of the performance difference.)