Microsoft pulled the 2004 Feature update.

Eric Kazer

Hi,

Microsoft pulled the 2004 feature update. I tied to install it on one of my computers. It's blocked. I tried the one under the Insider update and it was unstable in that it was popping up Cortana Sign in. It was pulling me out of maximized windows every time it came up. Disabling it in Start-Up did not work. Stopping the service also did not work. I had to roll-back to 1909.

The Feature update that was pulled was stable enough to use. The Insider Evaluation version is stable but not usable because of the Cortana sign in window.

I strongly oppose using the Insider Update as of 7-15-2020 be cause of Cortana. It will pull you out of a full screened game. That's not good.

The 2004 that was pulled has problems with the Disk Optimizer tool, but works fine otherwise. The OS won't even allow updating though a flash drive. I think Microsoft is working on it.

Feature Update 2004 pulled.PNG

Many of us have been using 2004 for more than a month, and the downloads are for 2004, so don't know why you say it's "pulled".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Specific PCs can be blocked from getting it automatically through WU if they have some known incompatible hardware/software. That was the case for one of my machines, got it 2 weeks later than the others, and it had that message you show in the meantime.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I my self have been using it for a while too. I am saying this because I have 2 PCs that do the same thing.1 of the Machines has a I7-3770 and a 1050ti, and 16 GB memory @ 1600MHz. yes they are older, but the other twin of that one updated to 2004. That link is what I used. 

I tied the Media creation tool and the update it's self. I am blocked on my AMD FX-8150 machine w/ GTX750ti and My HP Z220 with I7-3770 w/ GTX 1050ti. There is no reason for this to happen. Like I said my Sister Z220 updated to it fine. 

The only thing that I can think of is drive compression because of limited SSD space, but it should still work.

I don't know what is going on in the past 2 days with 2004. The AMD machine did say compression with update assistant. It should do in place installation, doesn't make too much sense at all.

Updater does all of the everyday updates like normal, it just installed windows defender update like normal. Just doesn't allow the Feature Update. 

Wonder if there is critical Cumulative Updates missing. That might effect it.

7 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

Hi,

Microsoft pulled the 2004 feature update. I tied to install it on one of my computers. It's blocked. I tried the one under the Insider update and it was unstable in that it was popping up Cortana Sign in. It was pulling me out of maximized windows every time it came up. Disabling it in Start-Up did not work. Stopping the service also did not work. I had to roll-back to 1909.

The Feature update that was pulled was stable enough to use. The Insider Evaluation version is stable but not usable because of the Cortana sign in window.

I strongly oppose using the Insider Update as of 7-15-2020 be cause of Cortana. It will pull you out of a full screened game. That's not good.

The 2004 that was pulled has problems with the Disk Optimizer tool, but works fine otherwise. The OS won't even allow updating though a flash drive. I think Microsoft is working on it.

I think you need to re-read what you posted and pay attention to this:

image.png.7dc2cadec546fc09bcac91b38eeec043.png

That is Fairly Important Detail. ;) 

I have 2 of my devices with this same note waiting for the update.

As for the rest, it appears that you happen to be one of a small margin of users with that issue. I suggest you report the issue to MS and see if they come up with a solution that or do a roll back (as you did apparently) and then wait for the update to re-install.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

For now I will keep it on 1909. There probably is something wrong if I can't get Media Creation Tool media on a flash drive to install. I have tried everything for those 2 PCs.

7 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

For now I will keep it on 1909. There probably is something wrong if I can't get Media Creation Tool media on a flash drive to install. I have tried everything for those 2 PCs.

Personally, I have not even upgraded my system to the 2004 update yet just due to the numerous issues that are still going on with this version of the operating system. And Microsoft, I believe, is still holding off automatically installing the update on certain brands of PCs.