How much power does HD650s really need

igotsnomoney

My HD595s are dying (like cracks are EVERYWHERE) and i'm pretty determined to get a pair of HD650s. I wan't to use them for both listening and a little bit of gaming. For listening I play off my macbook pro into a p/dl-1100. Its completely overkill but the equipment was free :). Problem I only have that 1 amp, and I want to use these for gaming, Can onboard audio drive these? I don't care about sound quality when gaming, I just need volume. 

Those will most likely sound very silent and have a great loss of detail.

i dont like advertising stuff i have, but i think you'll like Hifiman He-400's more since they have more realistic sub bass (great for explosions 'n' s*it) and need less Voltage to run.

onboard audio will drive them.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Those will most likely sound very silent and have a great loss of detail.

i dont like advertising stuff i have, but i think you'll like Hifiman He-400's more since they have more realistic sub bass (great for explosions 'n' s*it) and need less Voltage to run.

onboard audio will drive them.

Dunno whatchu talkin' bout, Willis. 650's are plenty sensitive to not need special amplification.

just tried it with my on board vs my o2, definitely not as loud but it is enough for most cases, I would want more. bass is noticeably less.

Dunno whatchu talkin' bout, Willis. 650's are plenty sensitive to not need special amplification.

Then why are all the folks at headfi buttclenching about the onboard never being able to drive them well?

I guess they exaggerate some of the facts "a little bit" :P

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Then why are all the folks at headfi buttclenching about the onboard never being able to drive them well?

I guess they exaggerate some of the facts "a little bit" :P

Honestly if you are committing that kind of money on headphones unless you know for a fact you have a solid amp on your on board you should spend at least a little money on something like an o2

I use a bottlehead Crack to power my HD650s

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

I guess they exaggerate some of the facts "a little bit" :P

>Head-Fi

They think a dedicated amp improves the sound, not just make it louder, and recommend an amp for everything.

My HTC One drives my 650's adequately, as does anything I've tried them with. Sure, there's not a ton of headroom on my parent's old PC when listening to softer classical stuff, but it's not exactly lacking.

Honestly if you are committing that kind of money on headphones unless you know for a fact you have a solid amp on your on board you should spend at least a little money on something like an o2

Like I said, not completely necessary.

just tried it with my on board vs my o2, definitely not as loud but it is enough for most cases, I would want more. bass is noticeably less.

Indeed

The HD 650 has much higher impedance in the bass range (they top out at about 500 ohm) so even if they will sound good for most frequencies without an AMP, those low frequencies might become very weak without an AMP. Of course it depends on what kind of music you listens to as well. For certain songs an AMP might only make a very small difference. For other songs it will make a huge difference.

The HD 650 has much higher impedance in the bass range (they top out at about 500 ohm) so even if they will sound good for most frequencies without an AMP, those low frequencies might become very weak without an AMP.

That's the resonant frequency, and efficiency goes up with impedance as you reach it. Even if it didn't, there still wouldn't be a difference between "amping" and "not amping" as the impedance bump will be present regardless of which amp you use. If one were to use an "inferior" amp with a crazy-high output impedance, bass would actually decrease going to a "good" amp with a lower impedance.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to to "hijack" another vintage amp off my dad (man they sound good). but definitely I will get something to drive them.

I use a bottlehead Crack to power my HD650s

:rolleyes:

i hooked mine up direct to my wall outlet, more then enough power, just a little modding needed.

:rolleyes:

i hooked mine up direct to my wall outlet, more then enough power, just a little modding needed.

I had to change my wall socket to a Furutech and had a shark cable for the power, it produces a cleaner sound. lol

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |