Computer not displaying anything

Tytyereal

I recently installed power cable extensions and the system will not longer display anything, it powers on the lights on the motherboard turns on, and the monitor shows that it's getting signal but stays black, I have already tried using my stock power cables, and reinstalling my gpu

Ryzen 5 3600

B450 tomahawk max

16gb DDR4 ripjaws 3200 (2x8)

1tb crucial p1 m.2

RTX 2060 KO ultra

Powerspec 750 watt

2 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

I recently installed power cable extensions and the system will not longer display anything, it powers on the lights on the motherboard turns on, and the monitor shows that it's getting signal but stays black, I have already tried using my stock power cables, and reinstalling my gpu

Ryzen 5 3600

B450 tomahawk max

16gb DDR4 ripjaws 3200 (2x8)

1tb crucial p1 m.2

RTX 2060 KO ultra

Powerspec 750 watt

Were you able to get into the bios?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

26 minutes ago, gazabi said:

Were you able to get into the bios?

No the screen just stays black

12 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Are you sure you have the monitor plugged into the GPU? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

33 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Was your motherboard ready for ryzen 3000, it would say on the packaging.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

27 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Are you sure you have the monitor plugged into the GPU? 

Yes I have tried dp and hdmi

9 minutes ago, gazabi said:

Was your motherboard ready for ryzen 3000, it would say on the packaging.

Yes I have been using this computer for a couple of months

If you remove the cable extensions and try to turn it on does it work? (ik it's a pain in the ass to unplug and re plug everything)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Adorable Cat said:

If you remove the cable extensions and try to turn it on does it work? (ik it's a pain in the ass to unplug and re plug everything)

Nope, that was the first thing I tried

1 minute ago, Tytyereal said:

Nope, that was the first thing I tried

Maybe the GPU is shot, could even be faulty ram. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Yes I have been using this computer for a couple of months

Can you see if the debug leds on the board are indicating anything, if it was able to post correctly they should cycle through all of them and turn off . If not, an led for one of the components may stay on indicating an issue.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Maybe the GPU is shot, could even be faulty ram. 🤷‍♂️

What could have shot the GPU? It worked well previously

2 minutes ago, gazabi said:

Can you see if the debug leds on the board are indicating anything, if it was able to post correctly they should cycle through all of them and turn off . If not, an led for one of the components may stay on indicating an issue.

Do you know where I would find the debug led?

1 minute ago, Tytyereal said:

Do you know where I would find the debug led?

Its on the right of the board above the 24 pin 

Page 38 has the reference for your board

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, gazabi said:

Its on the right of the board above the 24 pin 

Page 38 has the reference for your board

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Thanks that's super useful to know, they all turn on and then all turn off except the top which turns off one second later, an update aswell now my screen turns vaugly white and then vaugly red before turning back off, that's new

2 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Thanks that's super useful to know, they all turn on and then all turn off except the top which turns off one second later, an update aswell now my screen turns vaugly white and then vaugly red before turning back off, that's new

So your monitor turns off or just displays a black screen. Could the monitor be at fault?

Spoiler

Just now, gazabi said:

So your monitor turns off or just displays a black screen. Could the monitor be at fault?

I don't believe it's the monitor because I have tried it on 2 monitors and a TV and they all detect a signal and don't tell me no signal but then still put themselves to sleep after a moment

4 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

I don't believe it's the monitor because I have tried it on 2 monitors and a TV and they all detect a signal and don't tell me no signal but then still put themselves to sleep after a moment

It seems like it probably is a gpu issue.

Couple of questions:

1.The power cable extensions were they complete replacements for the old cables or actual extensions that attached to the old cable

2. Do the fans spin up on the gpu

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, gazabi said:

It seems like it probably is a gpu issue.

Couple of questions:

1.The power cable extensions were they complete replacements for the old cables or actual extensions that attached to the old cable

2. Do the fans spin up on the gpu

Actual extensions to the original cable, and the fans don't start spinning but the 2060 ko has idle fan stop so I am unsure if they don't work or if they arnt spinning because there isn't a load

5 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Actual extensions to the original cable, and the fans don't start spinning but the 2060 ko has idle fan stop so I am unsure if they don't work or if they arnt spinning because there isn't a load

Can you link the cables that you used?

Ok most gpus usually just spin up the fans for a second and turn off on boot, im not sure if it is the same in your case. Do you remember if the fans spun up on start before the issues happened. 

Did you try all of the ports on the gpu, im just checking all bases just in case one or two of the ports got messed up some how.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, gazabi said:

Can you link the cables that you used?

Ok most gpus usually just spin up the fans for a second and turn off on boot, im not sure if it is the same in your case. Do you remember if the fans spun up on start before the issues happened. 

Did you try all of the ports on the gpu, im just checking all bases just in case one or two of the ports got messed up some how.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VPB9LR3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I'm honestly not sure if they spun up on startup before because to see them I have to look from under and I don't think I ever did that on boot, the 2060 ko only has one HDMI and one display port and I tried both, I don't have any way to try dvi

6 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VPB9LR3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I'm honestly not sure if they spun up on startup before because to see them I have to look from under and I don't think I ever did that on boot, the 2060 ko only has one HDMI and one display port and I tried both, I don't have any way to try dvi

I dont see any issues with those cables and Im assuming the issue happened the first time you used the extension cables?

Can you test the gpu out in another system?

Also, you can try resetting the bios, sometimes that could fix potential issues. You have to short a jumper on the motherboard, its on page 37 of the manual I sent, you can use any metal object (knife, screwdriver,etc) to connect the 2 pins together, dont bend them just touch both at the same time with the metal object.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, gazabi said:

I dont see any issues with those cables and Im assuming the issue happened the first time you used the extension cables?

Can you test the gpu out in another system?

Also, you can try resetting the bios, sometimes that could fix potential issues. You have to short a jumper on the motherboard, its on page 37 of the manual I sent, you can use any metal object (knife, screwdriver,etc) to connect the 2 pins together, dont bend them just touch both at the same time with the metal object.

Yeah the first time with the cables, I don't have another system I could test it in, will resetting my bios loose me anything? And could it remove the capability with 3rd gen ryzen?

3 minutes ago, Tytyereal said:

Yeah the first time with the cables, I don't have another system I could test it in, will resetting my bios loose me anything? And could it remove the capability with 3rd gen ryzen?

No it just puts it to its default state, like the default boot order and default ram profile, etc. It doesn't downgrade the version.

Spoiler